The Vanderbilt Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Dear God, a win is a win, but can we stop with the close games? Geesh.

2. Cuonzo's decision to go with Lopez and Hall in the final seconds instead of Moore and Stokes was inexcusable and almost cost UT this game. Watching the final play, Lopez gets blown by, and Hall just stands there with the game deciding rebound in the air. Does that happen with Stokes? Nope. Cuonzo should thank the Lord they missed those shots.

3. Tennessee was 12-15 from the free throw line...then went 0-3 and missed three front ends. That was almost a disaster.

4. Bernard King Player of the Game: Jarnell Stokes. Box score stuffer tonight with 19 points/11 boards/3 assists/3 blocks and a steal. He was aggressive, and his offensive rebounding was the key in the game. He's improving and he handled double teams extremely well today. 8-12 from the field and 3-4 from the line. You take that all day, every day.

5. However, they have to run every play through him when he's on the floor. His scoring and playmaking is this team's greatest asset and he's the key to it. He would have had 25 had they gotten him the ball more.

6. Jordan McRae was 2-10 from the field and had no assists, while Trae Golden didn't play the second half. UT was able to still win. There weren't a ton of positives, but that was one.

7. Speaking of Golden, this team needs him. He's struggled mightily, but he's still the best ball handler and passer on the team. I like Brandon Lopez, but if Golden is out for an extended period of time, UT is screwed.

8. UT's defensive inconsistency was the reason the game was close. For whatever reason, the perimeter defense was not there. They looked slow moving their feet, and I felt like they gave up with on ball screens too much. I was disappointed with the defense and I'm sure Cuonzo was too.

9. The good news? Tennessee only had nine turnovers tonight. They did a better job protecting the ball, and for the most part had better passes...but they still throw bad entry passes.

10. It's a win. It was ugly and tough to watch in the sense that UT just couldn't put Vandy away, but without Golden and McRae no showing, UT can get to .500 Saturday with a road win at Arkansas. UT gets a couple extra days off and hopefully UT can fix the defensive issues. Any time the Vols win is a good night.

Go Vols! :hi:

Reactions: 10 people
Get to 4-4 on Saturday and 12 wins then its game on from there. I don't mind close games this time of year, I think it helps come tourney time!

Get to 4-4 on Saturday and 12 wins then its game on from there. I don't mind close games this time of year, I think it helps come tourney time!

Arkansas is going to destroy us at their place. We have almost no chance to hang with that offense with the way we score the ball.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know if I fully agree about the team being screwed if Golden is out for some time. I like Lopez. Not sure what it is about him and can't find any other words at the moment, but he seems to have a step Golden never does. I don't know if we've seen enough of him to determine if he can be as good of a passer as Golden.

I don't know if I fully agree about the team being screwed if Golden is out for some time. I like Lopez. Not sure what it is about him and can't find any other words at the moment, but he seems to have a step Golden never does. I don't know if we've seen enough of him to determine if he can be as good of a passer as Golden.

Well he doesn't score and the good thing about Trae is that sometimes he will score 14-17 points.

Lopez never scores and never even tries to score and that is what we need most.....scoring.

So glad to escape this game with a win..Arky game is going to be a big test on Saturday. Nice to see Stokes have another big game. Mcbee finally shot the ball well tonight and hopefully he keeps it up especially when the other guards shoot poorly.

1. Dear God, a win is a win, but can we stop with the close games? Geesh.

2. Cuonzo's decision to go with Lopez and Hall in the final seconds instead of Moore and Stokes was inexcusable and almost cost UT this game. Watching the final play, Lopez gets blown by, and Hall just stands there with the game deciding rebound in the air. Does that happen with Stokes? Nope. Cuonzo should thank the Lord they missed those shots.

3. Tennessee was 12-15 from the free throw line...then went 0-3 and missed three front ends. That was almost a disaster.

4. Bernard King Player of the Game: Jarnell Stokes. Box score stuffer tonight with 19 points/11 boards/3 assists/3 blocks and a steal. He was aggressive, and his offensive rebounding was the key in the game. He's improving and he handled double teams extremely well today. 8-12 from the field and 3-4 from the line. You take that all day, every day.

5. However, they have to run every play through him when he's on the floor. His scoring and playmaking is this team's greatest asset and he's the key to it. He would have had 25 had they gotten him the ball more.

6. Jordan McRae was 2-10 from the field and had no assists, while Trae Golden didn't play the second half. UT was able to still win. There weren't a ton of positives, but that was one.

7. Speaking of Golden, this team needs him. He's struggled mightily, but he's still the best ball handler and passer on the team. I like Brandon Lopez, but if Golden is out for an extended period of time, UT is screwed.

8. UT's defensive inconsistency was the reason the game was close. For whatever reason, the perimeter defense was not there. They looked slow moving their feet, and I felt like they gave up with on ball screens too much. I was disappointed with the defense and I'm sure Cuonzo was too.

9. The good news? Tennessee only had nine turnovers tonight. They did a better job protecting the ball, and for the most part had better passes...but they still throw bad entry passes.

10. It's a win. It was ugly and tough to watch in the sense that UT just couldn't put Vandy away, but without Golden and McRae no showing, UT can get to .500 Saturday with a road win at Arkansas. UT gets a couple extra days off and hopefully UT can fix the defensive issues. Any time the Vols win is a good night.

Go Vols! :hi:

I'm tired of it to.Wish we could put teams away late in games.

Arkansas is going to destroy us at their place. We have almost no chance to hang with that offense with the way we score the ball.

Arkansas got DRILLED by South Carolina. Our style of play (slow it down pace) will mess with Arkansas.

Reactions: 2 people
CM didn't have a good game. You mentioned above in point 2 above. Yemi saw no time and he moves better on pick and roll d than hall or stokes. That's all they ran. High pick and roll with a ballhandler and spacing. If cm would have gone to that with 7 minutes left rather than running motion offense and trying to slow the game down, its not as close.
He had some bad lineups at key times. He also should have called a timeout. For some reason, he called a timeout after a Mcbee 3 with. 12:10 on the clock. No reason at all to do that. Then the tv timeout came. Then our momentum is zapped with back to back timeouts after our fans finally get on their feet. Just not smart.

If Lopez has to play significant minutes from here on out, UT is in bad shape.

Makes absolutely zero sense that Stokes was on the bench for the decisive defensive play at the end of the game.

We got lucky . . . :good!:

I agree on leaving Lopez to defend the last possession. He was over matched big time. Lopez did a credible job running the offense in Trey's absence, but him being in to defend that last shot was not good. Missing those last 3 foul shots is typical of how we just can't finish games. A win is a win, though. The record book doesn't care if it is a blow out or one point win.

Arkansas got DRILLED by South Carolina. Our style of play (slow it down pace) will mess with Arkansas.

I would agree with you if our transition defense didn't look so atrocious tonight even without turning the ball over much. That and it is at their place.

If we do compete we will need to be fairly positive in the turnover margin.

I would agree with you if our transition defense didn't look so atrocious tonight even without turnin the ball over much. That and it is at their place.

If we do compete we will need to be fairly positive in the turnover margin.

If we protect the ball and improve the perimeter D, I like our chances.

I actually don't know much about Arkansas. I just haven't seen them on TV this year.

If we protect the ball and improve the perimeter D, I like our chances.

I actually don't know much about Arkansas. I just haven't seen them on TV this year.

Well they play fast of course. Young plays very recklessly at times, but still can just have huge games and he is basically impossible to guard. Powell is the one who really worries me, he is just an all around good player. They have about just under 300 stocks for the year and we are at 139 before tonight so that is gonna make it tough

VN Store

Back