The Value of Rodney Garner

Listening to several recruits being interviewed today on the radio, they all mentioned Garner and Huepel. An A&M poster was ripping him on Twitter and someone showed the results of his coaching. He had more defensive linemen drafted since 1999 than Texas A&M has had drafted since 1970.

I am not the true "avid" fan that many are , but I've been a casual fan since I attended UT beginning in '72. The one coordinator name that has alwaya been often a part of discussions is Rodney Garner. I seem to recall that he was a VOL years ago and an invaluable recruiter. Then he defected to UGA at some point and I see Auburn in his resume'.

My questions are... Is Rodney Garner an underrated value to Tennessee? Is he still a recruiting powerhouse?

Thanks for the education!

?? He’s still who he always was.
The recruiting powerhouse’s are the ones that can deliver big time $$$ nowadays!
Doubt he had the backing to do that this year

I think that Nolen signed where his father wanted him to sign, period. The delay I feel was due to Nolen having second thoughts and his father pushed the buttons and he ended up inking with aTm . . . that's just my opinion.

GBO
I can’t believe anyone is confused on why he signed with A&M.
His top three reasons was
1:$$$
2:$$$$
3:$$$$
TN Hasn’t stepped up when it comes to NIL
And it ain’t UT or the Coaches , they can’t legally be involved.
Alumni Association At Texas and A&M started planning the day the NIL stuff hit the rumor mill.
Does UT have an organization of Alumni supporters, or just a bunch of Alumni looking around waiting for someone else to do something?

Reactions: Vfl2407
I can’t believe anyone is confused on why he signed with A&M.
His top three reasons was
1:$$$
2:$$$$
3:$$$$
TN Hasn’t stepped up when it comes to NIL
And it ain’t UT or the Coaches , they can’t legally be involved.
Alumni Association At Texas and A&M started planning the day the NIL stuff hit the rumor mill.
Does UT have an organization of Alumni supporters, or just a bunch of Alumni looking around waiting for someone else to do something?

Cough . . . Cough . . . Daddy . . . Cough . . . .

GBO

Unless Nolan's family moves to Texas, I think it's possible that we may see Walter back here in a couple of years. A&M had a huge haul of DTs today, some other 5 stars as well...
Interesting. If it happens you will have called it!

I think that Nolen signed where his father wanted him to sign, period. The delay I feel was due to Nolen having second thoughts and his father pushed the buttons and he ended up inking with aTm . . . that's just my opinion.

GBO
I hope not for his sake. It is his life and he needs to be happy.

Reactions: BigDave
I have a question that's a bit off topic....

It's not in front of me, but I recently saw a writer breakdown some of the money bigger schools are spending on recruiting. If I'm not mistaken, GA was at (or near) the top at just under $4M.

So my question is.... how is that money spent? Just travel? Analysts / scouts? Or are they just referring to the recruiting department in general?

When Garner coached for us back in the 1990s he was coaching on the offensive side of the ball. I don’t think he switched to defense until he was at UGA.

GBO
If that's the case, then let's see how long he stays at aTm.

Reactions: BigDave
Where’s @de1conley in a thread like this. No where to be found with something positive to say about UT. He’s too busy bashing the school over in the Recruiting thread. Or maybe he’s cutting the next 5* stud’s fade getting ready for a visit to Alabubba so he can brag about himself. 💈🪒✂️

I’m on record for giving Coach G his props. One of my all time favorites. He’s the reason UT has a chance with elite guys period. So not sure why you even @ me.

I believe Garner has given this staff credibility on the SEC recruiting trail. To be clear, they've all earned the credibility by our play this season, but his long held relationships with recruiting areas and the vibes he gives off as a "tough love" mentor is appealing to many parents I imagine.

I am not the true "avid" fan that many are , but I've been a casual fan since I attended UT beginning in '72. The one coordinator name that has alwaya been often a part of discussions is Rodney Garner. I seem to recall that he was a VOL years ago and an invaluable recruiter. Then he defected to UGA at some point and I see Auburn in his resume'.

My questions are... Is Rodney Garner an underrated value to Tennessee? Is he still a recruiting powerhouse?

Thanks for the education!
We will have to see. We have had a lot of good recruiting classes that have outperformed what we have now. After seeing so much not pan out, I will wait. He certainly is earning his keep.

VN Store

Back