The USS Donald Trump?

Should the US continue naming aircraft carriers after Presidents

• Yes, I want to see the USS Clinton and USS Obama!

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • No, go back to the traditional names for carriers like the Yorktown and Saratoga

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Ugh, it'll be too political and people will gripe regardless...I'd rather have some pie

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters

Grand Vol

Official VN Armorer
Lab Rat
Here's a relatively non-controversial topic (lol) that should get the partisan juices flowing. Currently, we have the newer Ford Class aircraft carriers in production and with a planned run of a minimum of five, possibly more, in the long run. Currently, the lead ship is named after President Gerald Ford. The next two are planned to be named the USS Enterprise (which name has been a long and distinguished one in the US Navy service) and the USS John F Kennedy (also used previously as the lead class of aircraft carrier).

Currently, the US Navy has the following aircraft carriers in service named after Presidents:

USS Dwight Eisenhower
USS Teddy Roosevelt
USS Abe Lincoln
USS George Washington
USS Harry Truman
USS Ronald Reagan
USS George H. W. Bush

Should we stop the press right there? Only one President post WWII does not have a ship named after them nor one planned (Nixon). However, the other two post WWII Presidents do have ships named after them with Carter having a submarine and Johnson having a destroyer. Right now, the exceptions are: Clinton, George W. Bush and Obama which haven't had their name come up yet. And obviously Trump who is still in office.

FYI, 19 of the 45 Presidents have never had a ship named after them.

So, the question is with the two additional Ford class carriers planned, do they continue naming after Presidents with the chance of significant partisan outrage, even though Presidents are historic figures in United States history?

Or should the Navy move back to more historic names for aircraft carriers that have served with distinction like the USS Yorktown (WWII), USS Saratoga (WWII), USS Midway (Vietnam, Desert Storm), etc and avoid the politics of naming after controversial Presidents or other political figures?

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

The USS DC_Vol has a nice ring to it. A real projection of majesty and power.

If your going to name one after a President then it should be one of consequence and distinction. One that has had time for history to look back upon and evaluate fairly and in context.

I was on the Kennedy and never understood why he had one named after him.

If your going to name one after a President then it should be one of consequence and distinction. One that has had time for history to look back upon and evaluate fairly and in context.

because he was shot - hate to be blunt but...

If Trump had a ship named after him, I'm sure it will be the biggest, baddest, fastest, most powerful piece of naval technology ever created with stealth technology and hover ability.

Doesn’t seem like a good enough qualifier. His presidency wasn’t exactly stellar and history has shown his administration and personal life was pretty shady.

Camelot and assassination - it was the cult of personality + tragedy. We're idiots

Reactions: hog88

Camelot baby. And the fact that he actually served..........
And you don't question Reagan and Bush?

If Trump had a ship named after him, I'm sure it will be the biggest, baddest, fastest, most powerful piece of naval technology ever created with stealth technology and hover ability.
No walls on this ship? Big beautiful walls?

VN Store

Back