The three coaches...

milohimself

RIP CITY
An interesting storyline going into this season that didn't get much attention. All three coaches are at major programs. All three programs are on a quick decline after recent national titles. All these coaches are now on the hot seat.

Larry Coker, Lloyd Carr and our own Phil Fulmer.

And now, I'd say three different results. Possibly. Lloyd Carr got a big win over Notre Dame, and if he can manage to beat Ohio State, I feel quite confident in saying he will be very much off the hotseat. At the opposite end of the spectrum, however, is Larry Coker at Miami. The 'Canes have been nothing short of abysmal this season, and nothing short of a miraculous turnaround to win the ACC and a BCS can save Coker at this point. He is probably gone.

The last one remaining is Fulmer... Will he elevate the program and end up in the company of Carr at Michigan? Or will the program continue to slip and Fulmer put his job in immediate jeopardy?

Not everyone on this board is in agreement Fulmer is on the hotseat, its been hotly debated. I think Fulmer would have had to be 5-6, or 6-6 this year to be seriously threatened with losing his job. UT should be considerably better then that.

Still very interesting point to an article that we all read when the season started.

Not everyone on this board is in agreement Fulmer is on the hotseat, its been hotly debated. I think Fulmer would have had to be 5-6, or 6-6 this year to be seriously threatened with losing his job. UT should be considerably better then that.
Can anyone think of a coach that was fired at a school that he won a NC at, other than for disiplinary(Woody Hayes) or NCAA violations(Danny Ford)? I think Switzer at OU was forced out for lack of control over team and not his win-loss record.

Agreed. At most I could see the Vols losing 2 more games, that would put them at 9-3. Even if they went 8-4 I think he would be fine. I am predicting that we are going to split GA/LSU, and go 10-2 and finish 2nd in the SEC. I hope we could win out, FL loses two and we got to the SEC, but I dont think we can win out. I see FL losing two games though. But Fulmer is going to be fine this season.

wasn't Lou Holtz sort of ignonimously booted from Notre Dame and gave the cover story that he didn't want to be the one to break Knute Rockne's record?

Gene Stallings was also pretty successful at 'Bama.

Not to mention whoever the coach was at Nebraska.

Can anyone think of a coach that was fired at a school that he won a NC at, other than for disiplinary(Woody Hayes) or NCAA violations(Danny Ford)? I think Switzer at OU was forced out for lack of control over team and not his win-loss record.

i think this was discussed on another thread at one time. I think the Ohio State's previous coach won an NC and was dismissed. Its very rare.

All the mentioned coaches have one, and all are on the hotseat, although the pressure is more on Carr and Coker. Carr has a hell of a team this year though.

i think this was discussed on another thread at one time. I think the Ohio State's previous coach won an NC and was dismissed. Its very rare.

Cooper won nothing. But he was sucessful and only fired because there is one team on the scheule he always managed to lose too...

Who coached Miami before Coker? It wasn't Coker's recruiting that won the NC. Perhaps he isn't the coach/recruiter that everyone thought. It is shocking that Miami isn't in the top 25. When was the last time that happened?

Tidwell fancies himself on short answers.

And yeah, that was basically Butch Davis' team that won the national title.

Cooper did not win a national championship. He was close several times, but could not beat Michigan.

Here is a list of National Championship coaches (including Penn State and Auburn in disputed seasons) and how they did last season. I've also included their records over the past 3 seasons plus the first 4 weeks of this season. You can see that some of them are very similar.....

1992 Alabama (Gene Stallings - retired)
1993 Florida State (Bobby Bowden, 8-5 in 2005, last 3+ years 30-12)
1994 Nebraska (Tom Osborne - retired)
1994 Penn State (Joe Paterno, 11-1 in 2005, last 3+ years 20-19)
1995 Nebraska (Tom Osborne - retired)
1996 Florida (Steve Spurrier, 7-5 in 2005 at South Carolina, last 3+ years 30-11*)
1997 Nebraska (Tom Osborne - retired)
1997 Michigan (Lloyd Carr, 7-5 in 2005, last 3+ years 30-11)
1998 Tennessee (Phil Fulmer, 5-6 in 2005, last 3+ years 28-13)
1999 Florida State (Bobby Bowden, 8-5 in 2005, last 3+ years 30-12)
2000 Oklahoma (Bob Stoops, 8-5 in 2005, last 3+ years 35-8)
2001 Miami (Larry Coker, 9-3 in 2005, last 3+ years 30-10)
2002 Ohio State (Jim Tressel, 10-2 in 2005, last 3+ years 33-8)
Of the group just listed above, the one with the best record in 2005 is also the one with the worst 3 year record.... Joe Paterno.

After the 2002 season, the "last 3+ years" record will include a national championship season....
2003 LSU (Nick Saban - left for NFL)
2003 Southern Cal (Pete Carroll, 12-1 in 2005, last 3+ years 40-2)
2004 Southern Cal (Pete Carroll, 12-1 in 2005, last 3+ years 40-2)
2004 Auburn (Tommy Tuberville, 9-3 in 2005, last 3+ years 34-8)
2005 Texas (Mack Brown, 13-0 in 2005, last 3 years 37-5)

*Includes 2 seasons at Florida

VN Store

Back