The Third Saturday in October

Would you be in favor of not playing Bama every season?

• Yes

Votes: 101 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 62.2%

• Total voters
College football is tradition. Remove the tradition and you're left with only a hollow shell.
If the Vols ever have a really great team that could win it all, there is a chance of having to play a really good Bama team twice in the regular and post season. When really talented teams play each other more than once, the games usually end in a split.

But its not theirs, they look at us like Miss. State. They say all the right things on game day,smoke the Cigar & laugh all the way home for going through the frivolities but if you really talk to Bama fans and their honest, Tennessee is not a rival. Kentucky and Vanderbilt call us rivals, I don't look at hem as rivals. It is what it is, as an old fan I want to believe that Bama call us a rival but its just not reality.

And you are 1000% wrong. I live in Birmingham and know for a fact that any Bama fan that's been around for more than a minute and is not just a band-wagon-bammer, hates TN. I know a few that hate us more than Auburn.

And you do realize before the dark times (post 2009) started, people and the media were saying exactly the same thing in the early and mid 2000's, but the other way around.

If you have actually have lived a few decades, you understand football is cyclical for a number of reasons.

If you don't understand that, then we can find you a safe space with some coloring books to help you out.

We can still continue this tradition and not do it every year, i.e. every other year. Huge disadvantage for our program doing this. We should care more about winning than tradition
Let's drop to the Southern Conference if winning is what matters most, right?

Who cares about this tradition of being a charter member of the Southeastern Conference, it's winning that matters and we'd rule in that conference.

Who cares about this tradition of being a charter member of the Southeastern Conference, it's winning that matters and we'd rule in that conference.
Right on! And if over time ETSU or VMI starts to bully us then we can find a new home in D2. We'd kick Emory and Henry's tail.

Don't need to be a child about it. Poll is pretty close, this has been a massive disadvantage for us over the last decade+ relative to the other SEC TEAMS. I suggested we could still keep the tradition going and play every other year

Reactions: DarkVolder
Don't need to be a child about it. Poll is pretty close, this has been a massive disadvantage for us over the last decade+ relative to the other SEC TEAMS. I suggested we could still keep the tradition going and play every other year
When has this "massive disadvantage" actually manifested itself? In what year would we have won the East because we played, say, Mississippi State instead of Alabama?

Reactions: EasternVol
We play very competitively against Alabama in baseball and basketball every season and it will take the retirement of Saban for us to beat them in football on a regular basis.

That's rich, you calling me childish when you're the one suggesting "it's just too hard to play Bama every year."

I hope you aren't raising children and teaching them "losing too much is just too hard. Go play with other people so you can win more."

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I went to the Oregon game when we played them out there. We were walking around the campus and their practice facilities and such and I remember seeing a big sign somewhere that said something like: Tradition is dead idea. (I wish I could remember exactly what it said) At least they put their money where their mouth is by having no tradition whatsoever.

Of course the thing that made college football so much better than the pro game is dying right before our eyes, so.....

But at least they have figured out how to shorten the games.
First, I hope you had an enjoyable experience during your trip to Oregon. Granted I'm sure you would have preferred a Vol win, but other than that, I hope you enjoyed your stay.

As for the "no tradition" slogan, Oregon recruits needed to see the future, not look back at old history and programs with long old history. Oregon had to build something new and forward looking.

Since your visit, Oregon has new softball, track and field, football complexes, etc. and in the near future we'll have a new second indoor football facility. Additionally, we have a new Phil and Penny Knight Science campus, just beautiful.

Saban is going to retire soon. It's our luck that they will end TSIO right as he leaves and the pendulum is about to swing back in our favor for a decade or so.

And you are 1000% wrong. I live in Birmingham and know for a fact that any Bama fan that's been around for more than a minute and is not just a band-wagon-bammer, hates TN. I know a few that hate us more than Auburn.

And you do realize before the dark times (post 2009) started, people and the media were saying exactly the same thing in the early and mid 2000's, but the other way around.

If you have actually have lived a few decades, you understand football is cyclical for a number of reasons.

If you don't understand that, then we can find you a safe space with some coloring books to help you out.
Hatred is not the same thing as a rivalry. Most UT fans hate all things Vanderbilt but are they really a rivalry?

Many old school Bama fans hate UT because of what Fulmer did. But that doesn’t mean they consider UT a rival. LSU and Auburn are their rivals.

VN Store

Back