The "Survive and Advance mantra is testing my patience" Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. It's March Madness. Tennessee won the game and exorcized the demons from last year by winning in the Round of 32. In the end that's what really matters. I'm going to try very hard to no be overly negative because it's all about survive and advance...BUT.....

2. Tennessee has got to figure out what the hell is going on at halftime. That's now three straight games where they came out flat as hell and let their opponent make a big run to start the half. I think something going forward Barnes could change was taking Grant out at the 19:00 minute mark after he picked up his third. Normal situations dictate you take him out but I think if you keep him in it and get that lead to 25-30 then it doesn't matter later on about the foul situation. I’m good either way though.

3. Admiral told Barnes to keep Kyle in (allegedly) and the shot he took with so much time on the shot clock with under a minute to go was truly horrifying. But you cannot, under any circumstance, willingly leave your best shooter on the bench when you need a final shot to win a game. That absolutely cannot happen and it was dreadful. And this is the second time (forgive me but I cannot remember which game) where the best shot Tennessee got in this situation is a dumb catch and shoot for your fourth best shooter in Jordan Bone. We have to execute better late.

4. Ultimately it didn't matter but the call on Lamonte Turner on the block after the ref inadvertently blew his whistle is an absolute disgrace to the sport. If you messed up by blowing your whistle accidentally...that's okay. We are humans, we make mistakes. Don't compound your mistake by being embarrassed and claiming a foul when the referee closer to you said it was tipped. I don't know the name of the referee but he should not be in this tournament anymore.

5. Okay, what happened? Why did Iowa come back? I'm actually not going to blame Barnes much for this one, because it was turnovers. And that's not on the coaches. Jordan Bone and Grant Williams are upperclassmen and were particularly careless with the ball today. If Tennessee cuts half their turnovers they win by double digits. You cannot be lazy with the ball in March. Same thing happened with Auburn.

6. To further compound the point, Tennessee had 17 turnovers and gave up 13 offensive rebounds. You basically are giving Iowa a chance to score 30 more times with those numbers. Tennessee took 35 shots in the first half...14 in the second half! You cannot give away possessions.

7. Player of the game: Grant Williams- Grant played such an all-around game. He was fantastic defensively, had 19 points and also had 4 steals and 3 blocks. He made almost every big play in OT.

8. The defense wasn't as good in the second half but still solid. Tennessee only gave up three 3 pointers and held them to 44% shooting but the biggest thing was fouling. They went 16-17 from the line. Iowa is really good at it getting to the line. Tennessee didn't move their feet as well and made some silly fouls (and it was a tighter whistle). They played better defense today than they did against Colgate and really clamped them down Iowa in OT. I thought Lamonte Turner was incredible with his ball pressure on Bohannon.

9. Look I am all in favor of of saving timeouts, but dear God it's the tournament. Call a timeout Rick. It won't freaking kill you. Obviously, it's not working when you don't. And it's not even a momentum thing. You call those timeouts so you can get a play in to score, change the defensive strategy, or maybe get in a different lineup. Iowa went on multiple runs and Barnes did nothing. That's bad coaching.

10. But, overall it doesn't matter. If Tennessee somehow wins a national title, nobody cares you blew a 25 point lead and had to win in OT in the second round. I got to give it to the players and Barnes/coaching staff for focusing in OT after getting knocked down and taking the win. If Tennessee plays as they did in the first half nobody can beat them. They have to learn to keep that going for two halves. Purdue is a really good basketball team. Basically a souped-up version of Iowa. Lamonte Turner vs. Carsen Edwards is going to be a bloodbath. Tennessee still has a chance to make their first ever Final Four and overall Tennessee did what they had to do to advance. Can't complain about that.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Not only Admiral but LaMonte told Barnes to keep Kyle in. CRB spoke of this after the game. Also coach has spoke many times of how much he trusts his players. Also when players turn the ball over in practice they have to get on whatever crazy machine they have and do a certain amount of reps. That and yanking players out of games is the way CRB coaches against turnovers. Barnes doesn’t have Jedi mind control over the team. After 30+ games if the players don’t know what to do calling timeouts ain’t gonna help all that much, especially when there are 4 free tv timeouts a half already.

Yeah gotta agree with Barnes on taking Grant out and with leaving Admiral on the bench. Admiral was great in the first half but not so much in the second half.

OP. Glad you're not a coach. You must absolutely must take Grant out when he picked up his third foul. Geez

No you don’t absolutely have to. Most coaches pulled him and that’s fine. Not even a criticism just something I would have done. Besides he was back in three minutes later

I don’t think the problem was benching Grant at the 19 min mark. The problem was not pulling him at the 2-3 minute mark at the end of the first half when we were up a million.

Grant was ready to sub out during some free throws and Barnes waves him off and audibly could be heard saying on the broadcast “don’t foul because I’m leaving you in”

Naturally, Grant proceeds to foul about a minute later.

Z, you'd be in a straight jacket if Barnes had left Williams in the game at the 19:00 mark with 3 fouls and he'd gotten the 4th with 15:00+ to go.

No I wouldn’t. You want to keep your best player in despite foul trouble I’m all for it. I’m fine with either decision.

I don’t think the problem was benching Grant at the 19 min mark. The problem was not pulling him at the 2-3 minute mark at the end of the first half when we were up a million.

Grant was ready to sub out during some free throws and Barnes waves him off and audibly could be heard saying on the broadcast “don’t foul because I’m leaving you in”

Good point. I forgot that Grant picked up his second foul then. We really only have a couple of good bench players: Bowden and Fulky. Walker and Pons both cannot make a simple pass or dribble without turning the ball over.

I realize I put that Barnes taking him out was a mistake but that is not what I meant. I edited that because I’m fine with either decision

Very good point. I could see Barnes leaving him in to make sure Iowa doesn’t go on a run either. The foul game is tricky to play.

I'm just gonna throw it out there and I'll accept the incoming heat, but: is this team just generally gassed?
If they are, these next 4 or 5 days off will be good for them. It really helped for the first 2 games of the SEC Tourney. Plus 2 games in 3 days and 4 or 5 days off will be a lot easier than 3 games in 3 days

Always enjoy your post-game reports, even though I don't always agree with some of it.

For instance, you have totally missed the whole "Survive and Advance" thing.

What that means for me and many other is that our pacemakers made it through another nail-biting, hair-pulling experience and yet here we go -- Sweet 16 baby!!!

Bring on those purple and sunflower guys so Chris Webber can teach us some more on what Big 10 basketball is about!

So Barnes has taken the team to the NCAA Tournament two years in a row now. He has now made two Round of 32 appearances, and has now taken the program to the Sweet Sixteen for the 8th time in school history.

While it may not have been the best performance, this is still probably the best thing to come out of UT athletics in a good long while. While more would be nice, if they don't advance beyond the Sweet Sixteen I'll still consider this an improvement of sorts over last year.

3. The Admiral 3-point attempt was a 2 for 1 situation. The play called was to go to Williams, but Barnes said it was an open look for Admiral and he was fine with it.

9. If Barnes had used TOs on a couple of those runs by Iowa then he would not have had them available to call them at 45 seconds and/or at 10 seconds. Maybe he knows what he's doing.

1. It's March Madness. Tennessee won the game and exorcized the demons from last year by winning in the Round of 32. In the end that's what really matters. I'm going to try very hard to no be overly negative because it's all about survive and advance...BUT.....

2. Tennessee has got to figure out what the hell is going on at halftime. That's now three straight games where they came out flat as hell and let their opponent make a big run to start the half. I think something going forward Barnes could change was taking Grant out at the 19:00 minute mark after he picked up his third. Normal situations dictate you take him out but I think if you keep him in it and get that lead to 25-30 then it doesn't matter later on about the foul situation. I’m good either way though.

3. Admiral told Barnes to keep Kyle in (allegedly) and the shot he took with so much time on the shot clock with under a minute to go was truly horrifying. But you cannot, under any circumstance, willingly leave your best shooter on the bench when you need a final shot to win a game. That absolutely cannot happen and it was dreadful. And this is the second time (forgive me but I cannot remember which game) where the best shot Tennessee got in this situation is a dumb catch and shoot for your fourth best shooter in Jordan Bone. We have to execute better late.

4. Ultimately it didn't matter but the call on Lamonte Turner on the block after the ref inadvertently blew his whistle is an absolute disgrace to the sport. If you messed up by blowing your whistle accidentally...that's okay. We are humans, we make mistakes. Don't compound your mistake by being embarrassed and claiming a foul when the referee closer to you said it was tipped. I don't know the name of the referee but he should not be in this tournament anymore.

5. Okay, what happened? Why did Iowa come back? I'm actually not going to blame Barnes much for this one, because it was turnovers. And that's not on the coaches. Jordan Bone and Grant Williams are upperclassmen and were particularly careless with the ball today. If Tennessee cuts half their turnovers they win by double digits. You cannot be lazy with the ball in March. Same thing happened with Auburn.

6. To further compound the point, Tennessee had 17 turnovers and gave up 13 offensive rebounds. You basically are giving Iowa a chance to score 30 more times with those numbers. Tennessee took 35 shots in the first half...14 in the second half! You cannot give away possessions.

7. Player of the game: Grant Williams- Grant played such an all-around game. He was fantastic defensively, had 19 points and also had 4 steals and 3 blocks. He made almost every big play in OT.

8. The defense wasn't as good in the second half but still solid. Tennessee only gave up three 3 pointers and held them to 44% shooting but the biggest thing was fouling. They went 16-17 from the line. Iowa is really good at it getting to the line. Tennessee didn't move their feet as well and made some silly fouls (and it was a tighter whistle). They played better defense today than they did against Colgate and really clamped them down Iowa in OT. I thought Lamonte Turner was incredible with his ball pressure on Bohannon.

9. Look I am all in favor of of saving timeouts, but dear God it's the tournament. Call a timeout Rick. It won't freaking kill you. Obviously, it's not working when you don't. And it's not even a momentum thing. You call those timeouts so you can get a play in to score, change the defensive strategy, or maybe get in a different lineup. Iowa went on multiple runs and Barnes did nothing. That's bad coaching.

10. But, overall it doesn't matter. If Tennessee somehow wins a national title, nobody cares you blew a 25 point lead and had to win in OT in the second round. I got to give it to the players and Barnes/coaching staff for focusing in OT after getting knocked down and taking the win. If Tennessee plays as they did in the first half nobody can beat them. They have to learn to keep that going for two halves. Purdue is a really good basketball team. Basically a souped-up version of Iowa. Lamonte Turner vs. Carsen Edwards is going to be a bloodbath. Tennessee still has a chance to make their first ever Final Four and overall Tennessee did what they had to do to advance. Can't complain about that.

Go Vols!

#3 I wondered why Bone was not at the point and Turner was on the wing waiting for a pass. They were in a zone and giving us that shot. Why would Turner not be on the receiving end? Also, if you would have told me before the game that we were going to take a shot at the end of the game for the win and Schofield was going to ask to come out at that point, I would have laughed you off this sight. That is a shocker.

VN Store

Back