The Sub Sandwich Hierarchy

Nerd-Vol

Compiled here is a complete(enough) and final ranking of sandwich shops. Feel free to be wrong and disagree, but this is the order.

God Tier: Jimmy John's. This is the best sandwich shop out there. It follows the recipe for a great sandwich to a T: Great bread, quality ingredients, good menu, fair price, and good portion size.

First Tier: Firehouse, Jersey Mike's, and Lenny's. These are great places to get a good sub sandwich, but each has their faults.

Firehouse: This was a tough call, the actual quality of the ingredients and menu options are God tier level, but the portion size and price is an issue. Every time I go to Firehouse I unload my wallet of $7-8 for a sandwich and a drink and what I get in return is a slightly over-sized hot dog bun stuffed full of turkey and lettuce. Still tasty though.

Jersey Mikes & Lenny's: The portion size at both these shops is fine but once again the price is an issue. Go in with $11 hoping for a sandwich, chips and a fountain soda, and you will exit with very little change. Both places though offer a fine quality and decent bread. A good choice.

Whatever tier: Quizno's. Quizno's biggest selling point seems to be their toaster, which is sort of like Hyundai trying to sell a car based on the quality of its air-conditioner, it's a nice feature, but that isn't why you buy a car. The price is also high and the serving sizes are small. I would say they are the Arby's of sub shops, but when I eventually go to an Arby's I wonder why I only go once a year, with Quizno's I remember why I only go once a year.

Subway Tier: Subway. Even though their foot-long sandwiches only cost $5, I still feel as though I am getting fleeced. This is sandwich shop I visit the most, due to the proximity of the restaurants and the low asking price. Subway is simply a fast food chain camouflaged as healthy eating. However; unlike most fast food chains where you get the sinful pleasure of eating something terrible for you, you leave subway unsatisfied. I've always found the bread to be of poor quality and the ingredients poor as well. Regardless, I end up eating at Subway at least once a month; truly sad.

What's your hierarchy?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
584_started-dating-the-cute-girl-from-subway-now-my-girlfriend-has-to-make-me-a-sandwich_400-386.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
Tier 1:

Firehouse
Sam & Andy's

Tier 2:

Subs & Such
Quizno's
Lenny's
Nixon's

Tier 3:

Jimmy John's
Subway

I'm sure I forgot some. Firehouse and Sam & Andy's are pretty much all you need.

God Tier: Firehouse

I will agree that Firehouse is pricey but everything about that sandwich is gold.

Sacrifice Tier: Subway and Quiznos

I will eat if there is no Firehouse available.

Puke Tier: Jimmy Johns

My first and last experience with Jimmy Johns was this: ordered my food online for pick-up and the employees didn't give me a cookie like I ordered and didn't cut my sandwich. Ain't nobody got time for that. The sandwich itself was nothing but mayonnaise and bread. It was drowning in that crap. You know those bag lunches you got for field trips in middle school? It tastes worse than one of those bag lunch sandwiches.

Tier 1:

Firehouse
Sam & Andy's

Tier 2:

Subs & Such
Quizno's
Lenny's
Nixon's

Tier 3:

Jimmy John's
Subway

I'm sure I forgot some. Firehouse and Sam & Andy's are pretty much all you need.

Pretty similar to my list except I'd have Jimmy John's on tier 2 and Quiznos on tier 3, but otherwise, this list gets the TTT seal of approval.

Pretty similar to my list except I'd have Jimmy John's at tier 2 and Quiznos on tier 3, but otherwise, this list gets the TTT seal of approval.

Oh, I'm sorry. I must have missed where Jimmy John's was toasty goodness, and Quizno's was just relabeled Subway.

lol j/k. To each his own. I don't see the appeal. I do love Quizno's though. Except their toasters need to be about a foot longer, because my sammich always comes out a little cold.

Lenny's hands down. Plus, the nashville coupon book has buy 1 get 1 coupons. 2 sammiches, $7. Can't be beat.

Firehouse is so good it makes me want to slap my mom.
Jimmy Johns is good, too, but it's no Firehouse.

I have a Subway suggestion. Get a spicy Italian sub but ask for parm and marinara sauce. You can build a Pizza sub this way with three times the meat, but this sub is cheaper than actually ordering a pizza sub.

I'm going to go ahead and go on record that I bet someone will be murdered as a result of this thread. Every time I see an argument about sub sandwiches it gets aggressive.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm going to go ahead and go on record that I bet someone will be murdered as a result of this thread. Every time I see an argument about sub sandwiches it gets aggressive.

Or pizza. Food is a much bigger deal than politics. Has govols/cc posted in here yet?

Only two on the list that I would eat at again are Nixon's and Sam and Andy's. Haven't been to Lenny's but will in the next month or so.

the Subway Station at CNU. When they say toasted they mean put in a real oven and baked

As far as I am concerned Firehouse dominates all. One place that people may be forgetting or they haven't eaten there is Penn Station.

I have eaten at Penn Station a couple of times and their hot sammiches are better than their cold sammiches.

VN Store

Back