The Stop Being Negative Thread (merged)

Butch went 5-7 in year 1 with a Dooley roster.
That may be the best measuring stick for Pruitt.
If he can’t win 5, he may be in over his head.
That being said, I think he wins 6 or more.

I’ve held my tongue since the ending of our game yesterday, but I can’t do that anymore after seeing what alot of people are saying this morning. Shame on all of you who are saying we are an FCs team and we have no talent and we suck. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU. We played the best passing attack in the nation and we started 3 freshman on defense. What did you all expect. IMO WVU has a legitimate shot at winning 10+ games this year, their passing attack and offensive line are extremly
Talented and they block well for Grier. Hell, will Grier makes NFL throws like it’s second nature to him. As far as the VOLS , I thought we lacked an identity in offense. I think T. Helton should of stuck with the I formation lead blocker runs, because it was workiin. But he didn’t and that made me scratch my head. My hope is that we use that a lot more go My forward because Tim Jordan is a game changer when he has a lead blocker in front of him. Offensive line was shaky but they got better as the game went on. I do think their much better than what they showed yesterday though. I think our wide receivers are gonna be ok this year, on 3rd downs they came up
Big for us and I think that’s a sign of good things to come. JG- I thought he played within the game plan, and he did it pretty well actually. He was extremly accurate and decisive, and he continues to show toughness after taking big hits. He took care of the football as well and that’s the biggest takeaway I got from his performance.

Defensive line- we’ve got to find players who can get to the qb, the guys were getting a push everytime almost but they had trouble getting off their blocks so that’s something they need to work on as well. Depth is another issue we need to iron out in the next two games before Florida game. My hope is that Harris, Emerson, and Gooden can make big strides the next few weeks cause we’re gonna need them to win in the sec. overall- Out defensive line just needs to find the nastiness inside of themselves and coach needs to find a way to get that to show on the field.

Linebackers- I thought our LB’s did some good things but they were a step late on several plays as well. As for Taylor and Kongbo, they have to get involved in the game or just let J. Allen and Peterson try their hand at it, because our OLb’s were pitiful yesterday. If Peterson can play then I think we see him early this year, Pruitt needs a spark in the pass rushing game, hopefully Peterson can be that guy. DK jr played pretty well but his rust did show at times but that is understandable. I feel good about DK, DB, and QS though going forward. My hope is that they can start to be leaders on the defense because we need an alpha dog to step up and lead our defense.

Secondary- honestly, this is probably a bad game to judge our DB’s on, at least out
Young guys. I wasn’t pleased with Buchanan in the least bit though, he needs to be better. As a whole, our secondary needs to work on tackling. We have to be able to tackle in space if we’re gonna be a decent team this year. Flowers, Taylor, and Thompson haven’t figured out how to get their head around on passes yet so that’s something they need to work on, I think they did a good job of staying in position on d but they need to learn how to use their hands to keep guys from creating separation against them. Overall- I think week in and week out these young cbs get better. Come Florida game we should see a massive difference in the secondary.

Overall- Stop throwing in the towel fans. This team deserves our support. To all of you who are mad and saying negative things -stfu, your not a player so you have no idea how bad these young men want to win, and your not the one putting in work day in and day out for 9 months straight so dont bash these young men. WVU is a good team and they honestly could win 10 or 11 games this year if Grier stays healthy. If marquis Osborne doesn’t have a stupid offsides penalty then this game could of possible been 33-21 or 33-17 depending on if we get a score after that missed field goal. If that game ends 33-21 then the narrative is complete different. And for all of you who say this team is no better than last year, you are a fool and you know nothing about football. This team is better in 100 different ways from last years team, it’s one game and we have 11 more to go. When adversity hits you see the true content of someone’s character, a large amount of you on here who talk bad about UT are weenies who Lack character. Grow up and realize rome wasn’t built in a day. The VOLS will be fine, and for all you fair weather fans. Don’t let the door hit you on your way out cause we don’t need you as fans.

Fair weather fans after 15 years in irrelevance? How does that work exactly?

The fair weather fans left 10 years ago. All that is left are realists with minimal expectations. Fail to meet those minimal expectations at your peril.

Really?? If all that’s left are realists with minimal expectations then you wouldn’t be seeing all this nonsense about our team sucking today. Cause realists with minimal expectations wouldn’t of thought we could compete or win therefore they wouldn’t bash the team when they did lose cause that’s what they expected.

Reactions: FREAKIN ORANGE
Agree 100% with this post. That game made me sick to watch but the reality is that we played pretty well and got torched by some nfl throws. Regardless we gave up more points to a **** Vanderbilt team 9 months ago. And people are trashing this team for getting torched by some outstanding throws mixed in with a very potent offensive. It wasn’t a good game but chill the f*** out people

I’ve held my tongue since the ending of our game yesterday, but I can’t do that anymore after seeing what alot of people are saying this morning. Shame on all of you who are saying we are an FCs team and we have no talent and we suck. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU. We played the best passing attack in the nation and we started 3 freshman on defense. What did you all expect. IMO WVU has a legitimate shot at winning 10+ games this year, their passing attack and offensive line are extremly
Talented and they block well for Grier. Hell, will Grier makes NFL throws like it’s second nature to him. As far as the VOLS , I thought we lacked an identity in offense. I think T. Helton should of stuck with the I formation lead blocker runs, because it was workiin. But he didn’t and that made me scratch my head. My hope is that we use that a lot more go My forward because Tim Jordan is a game changer when he has a lead blocker in front of him. Offensive line was shaky but they got better as the game went on. I do think their much better than what they showed yesterday though. I think our wide receivers are gonna be ok this year, on 3rd downs they came up
Big for us and I think that’s a sign of good things to come. JG- I thought he played within the game plan, and he did it pretty well actually. He was extremly accurate and decisive, and he continues to show toughness after taking big hits. He took care of the football as well and that’s the biggest takeaway I got from his performance.

Defensive line- we’ve got to find players who can get to the qb, the guys were getting a push everytime almost but they had trouble getting off their blocks so that’s something they need to work on as well. Depth is another issue we need to iron out in the next two games before Florida game. My hope is that Harris, Emerson, and Gooden can make big strides the next few weeks cause we’re gonna need them to win in the sec. overall- Out defensive line just needs to find the nastiness inside of themselves and coach needs to find a way to get that to show on the field.

Linebackers- I thought our LB’s did some good things but they were a step late on several plays as well. As for Taylor and Kongbo, they have to get involved in the game or just let J. Allen and Peterson try their hand at it, because our OLb’s were pitiful yesterday. If Peterson can play then I think we see him early this year, Pruitt needs a spark in the pass rushing game, hopefully Peterson can be that guy. DK jr played pretty well but his rust did show at times but that is understandable. I feel good about DK, DB, and QS though going forward. My hope is that they can start to be leaders on the defense because we need an alpha dog to step up and lead our defense.

Secondary- honestly, this is probably a bad game to judge our DB’s on, at least out
Young guys. I wasn’t pleased with Buchanan in the least bit though, he needs to be better. As a whole, our secondary needs to work on tackling. We have to be able to tackle in space if we’re gonna be a decent team this year. Flowers, Taylor, and Thompson haven’t figured out how to get their head around on passes yet so that’s something they need to work on, I think they did a good job of staying in position on d but they need to learn how to use their hands to keep guys from creating separation against them. Overall- I think week in and week out these young cbs get better. Come Florida game we should see a massive difference in the secondary.

Overall- Stop throwing in the towel fans. This team deserves our support. To all of you who are mad and saying negative things -stfu, your not a player so you have no idea how bad these young men want to win, and your not the one putting in work day in and day out for 9 months straight so dont bash these young men. WVU is a good team and they honestly could win 10 or 11 games this year if Grier stays healthy. If marquis Osborne doesn’t have a stupid offsides penalty then this game could of possible been 33-21 or 33-17 depending on if we get a score after that missed field goal. If that game ends 33-21 then the narrative is complete different. And for all of you who say this team is no better than last year, you are a fool and you know nothing about football. This team is better in 100 different ways from last years team, it’s one game and we have 11 more to go. When adversity hits you see the true content of someone’s character, a large amount of you on here who talk bad about UT are weenies who Lack character. Grow up and realize rome wasn’t built in a day. The VOLS will be fine, and for all you fair weather fans. Don’t let the door hit you on your way out cause we don’t need you as fans.

Everything that is not fact in your post is bold and underlined above. This is only your opinion and unfortunately has no facts to justify this opinion. We all hope the Vols turn things around this year but not a soul can point to a fact that shows it will/can happen after that game. This is unfortunate as I'm sure every person came in with hope and left that game with hope but for the ones you want to leave they just saw it differently than you did. They saw facts.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Agree 100% with this post. That game made me sick to watch but the reality is that we played pretty well and got torched by some nfl throws. Regardless we gave up more points to a **** Vanderbilt team 9 months ago. And people are trashing this team for getting torched by some outstanding throws mixed in with a very potent offensive. It wasn’t a good game but chill the f*** out people

"Played pretty well", um we didnt play well even compared to Butch Jones team.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
"Played pretty well", um we didnt play well even compared to Butch Jones team.

We played well considering what this team is right now. You people act like we are supposed to be a great football team when we let VANDERBILT hang 43 on us 9 months ago. This WV offense is light years better offensively than that team. Butch jones would have let them hang 60+ on us.

Isn't it funny how history repeats itself? These same long winded type threads were posted when Lyle first became coach. Look, people are impatient because they want TN football to be relevant again. You can't blame people for their frustrations and a 5 paragraph post on a message board preaching at people to think like you think they should isn't going to accomplish anything....except maybe make YOU feel better.

Really?? If all that’s left are realists with minimal expectations then you wouldn’t be seeing all this nonsense about our team sucking today. Cause realists with minimal expectations wouldn’t of thought we could compete or win therefore they wouldn’t bash the team when they did lose cause that’s what they expected.

I expected us to be credible on both lines. No expectations on offense since the new coach is a defensive guru. No expectations about winning. We were whipped on both LOS's badly, no pressure, no pass protection. Did not look like we belonged on the same field with WV and I don't think WV is that good. Thats reality, maybe we improve maybe we get worse no one can predict.

Not once in the last 10 years have I expected us to be great but damn it I expect us to compete like a SEC team and we just aren't.

Reactions: djohnnyg
The fact that were still here prove we are true fans. After the last decade who would still be here that wasn't a true fan. We have endured huge beatings at the hands of several teams including freaking Vandy and Missouri. So yes everyone still posting here is a true fan the ones that weren't left way before now and are doing something else with their time.

AMEN,I agree completely:):cool:

VN Store

Back