The Stop Being Negative Thread (merged)

You wanna see looks lost see FSU vs VT tonight. Taggert needs a compass, a map and a guide.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
That's it? How many times did that happen?
At minimum once more than it should have.

What do I want from a coach, one that puts players in a position to succeed.

One that manages the freaking game properly. Number of players on the field and timeouts.

Ohhh and fundamentals. Drives them freaking home.
Stop shoulder tackling wrap them up and finsih the freaking tackle.

One that manages the freaking game properly. Number of players on the field and timeouts.

So are you contending that this staff doesn't do those things?

I am contending that for $20,000,000 there is NO viable excuse to have an incorrect number of players on the field not even once.

Reminds me of another coach from recent memory.

I watched way to many defenders fail to wrap up. That should be instinctual. It has been a problem for so many years at this point I don't think it is going to stop.

If we see improvements then we will know, conversly if we dont see improvements we will also know.

Here is what I would like. CJP to be the head coach at UT for the next 5 years without being given an extension Unless he earns it by bringing home a championship. At the end of 5 years when we see what he can really do then we can talk what is he teaching.

Thus far after one game I am not impressed. Especially not for a defensive minded coach allowing another team an offensive record at UT's expense again.

Last edited:
I am contending that for $20,000,000 there is NO viable excuse to have an incorrect number of players on the field not even once.

Reminds me of another coach from recent memory.

I watched way to many defenders fail to wrap up. That should be instinctual. It has been a problem for so many years at this point I don't think it is going to stop.

If we see improvements then we will know, conversly if we dont see improvements we will also know.

Here is what I would like. CJP to be the head coach at UT for the next 5 years without being given an extension Unless he earns it by bringing home a championship. At the end of 5 years when we see what he can really do then we can talk what is he teaching.

Thus far after one game I am not impressed. Especially not for a defensive minded coach allowing another team an offensive record at UT's expense again.
Speaking out of emotion man. Relax.

You wanna see looks lost see FSU vs VT tonight. Taggert needs a compass, a map and a guide.

Also FS did find a way to choke away when it looked like they turn the Tide with their best play a long running play.
VT Hokies look like the 1985 Bears the College Football version or the 2011 Crimson Tide.

This is why the glass is logically half full for me for the 2018 Bright Orange Vols after the frustrating common growing pains 1st game vs a formidable adversary which includes a talented QB.

The defense was great for 1 Half, while they didn't play with the same intensity in the 2nd half which was outright said after the game I don't doubt that wasn't some fools gold or just a 1 game special in the 1st game.
This defense can be effective and keep the Vols in games by mostly executing and containing teams to field goals.
While they did give up backbreaker plays the whole make contact and not wrapping up, and busted coverage are fixable awful mistakes.

The defense proved to be like a rock, valiant, and headstrong because it was a awful game including most of the 2nd half except they didn't back the hell down, lay the hell down an give the hell up because the game was frustrating and challenging. They fought, and gave the Vols offense another chance to make a great comeback by finally breaking through with a impressive fumble created and recovery of the ball.
Even when it's obvious the Vols couldn't come back because of the amount along with a low amount of minutes the defense never used the easy action of quit and stop playing full effort.

Vols Offense: Guarantano grew up in this game because he was able to lead the Vols down the field for the attempts to comeback including after the fumble recovery, showed he can be great when given time with terrific throws, and with a tough start showed he has the heart of a champion, like a rock, tenacious, resilient, and is valiant.
Tim Jordan also proved to be like a rock with the heart of a Champion, resilient, tenacious, and is valiant because he finally was able to run for high gains in the 2nd half, and is a threat for long distance runs won't be astounded if he runs for a 60 yards td or higher. A talented RB possibly great and a tough man to bring down when he runs forward including open areas.
The Vols had a opportunity to comeback in the 4th quarter after that fumble and had momentum except unable to finish since Mountaineers defended when needed most, and it took the Mountaineers more than 48 game minutes to make this the expected worst situation that is the Mountaineers steamroll the Vols.

The Vols have the ability to outplay better teams including by winning top the issue they have to get removed execute and score more than single digits for 1 half, or better both halfs.
I won't be astounded at all if this team gels before game 3 or 4 with both defense and offense playing great with Vols playing great as a team for a full game. They are a talented team that will have the expected growing pains as shown vs WV except still can have a great season with 11 games left, or a good season.
Playing great as a team meaning both offense and defense is effective instead of offense is effective except the defense fails, or defense was effective except offense wasn't effective because didn't finish a drive shine they didn't score a td when needed most.

Adversity Reveals character and the Vols in what became a embarrassment never used the easy action of quit and give the hell up. The 2018 Football Vols are tenacious, resilient, like a rock, and valiant champions with the heart of a Lion or the heart of a Champion.

I'm optimistic the Vols learn from this awful game that had the expected growing pains, play better in game 2, and continue to improve with each game.
This team can be better, it will be a harrowing process because expected growing pains except I'm still optimistic the Vols gel fully as a team and hit their stride before game 4, and even if not could still win games before fully gelling as a team or hitting their stride.

Thus far after one game I am not impressed.
You should just leave it at that.

The rest.... You just sound like one of those people who can't come to grips with the fact a bammer is the head coach, and you're on perpetual witch hunt mode.

"I'm not impressed" lol.

The go to excuse for some UT fans, is always youth and inexperience, well Va Tech has 40 on the 2 deeps are underclassmen, seems not everyone has to use that as an excuse.

The go to excuse for some UT fans, is always youth and inexperience, well Va Tech has 40 on the 2 deeps are underclassmen, seems not everyone has to use that as an excuse.
3rd year coach. Butch beat VT badly in Fuentes first year. What was his excuse back then?

Reactions: firestorm
3rd year coach. Butch beat VT badly in Fuentes first year. What was his excuse back then?
I'm speaking about youth, some here like to point to youth every year as to why this program never wins, 40 fresh/soph on the 2 deeps and they went to Florida St and stomped them. Fact is if one is a good coach he can overcome youth or not having great players.

I believe that a large portion of Volnation has become apathetic to the Volunteer Football team. 10 years of mediocrity, 5 head coaches, 4 athletic directors, overused slogans, subpar recruiting, etc. etc. etc. will take its toll. When I moved to Knoxville in 2002, you knew it was Football season by the massive amount of flags and magnetic Power T's on cars; fast forward to present day, I only saw 2-3 flags on cars Friday. Charlotte stadium wasn't even close to being packed out and it is much closer to Vol fans in Knoxville and Atlanta than WV fans. That game should have been a home game atmosphere for UT. There is a small percentage of Vol Fans who are vocal about the the team, the rest seem to not to care as much anymore. Its been a rough 10 years and being sold another rebuild project is not what any fan wants to hear now. I do like Pruitt and I think he can/will rebuild this team but will fans wait that long especially while watching all of UT's main rivals turn their programs around in a year or maybe two?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky Top Raby

That group of 10 managed to force a field goal.

I'm speaking about youth, some here like to point to youth every year as to why this program never wins, 40 fresh/soph on the 2 deeps and they went to Florida St and stomped them. Fact is if one is a good coach he can overcome youth or not having great players.
Oh. So context not allowed if it makes your point seem, uh, pointless?

Oh. So context not allowed if it makes your point seem, uh, pointless?
I'm saying stop using youth as an excuse every single year. For about 12 years this program has been young every year, how does that happen? A good coach can win with young players. A good coach can sometimes win with lesser talent.

I'm saying stop using youth as an excuse every single year. For about 12 years this program has been young every year, how does that happen? A good coach can win with young players. A good coach can sometimes win with lesser talent.
So Pruitt is a bad coach?

So Pruitt is a bad coach?
No idea, I know his record as of right now. I know some give blind support to whoever is the HC just because he is the UT head coach as for me I don't. My loyalty comes when the wins do. I'm tired of excuses. UT should never ever lose to West Virginia

I've seen this same thread repeatedly over the past 10 years. No matter how deep orange your glasses are, we have to prove we don't suck.

Reactions: Vol Main
I said we could win 8 but WVU was 1 of those. That means we have to win 1 we shouldn't. That seems unlikely now. But I still believe we have a good coach. For the most part, this is the same team we had last year. They will improve with better coaching but the talent level may just not be there. We'll see in a couple of weeks. Florida was no better than us last year. We were 1 play away from beating them and USCjr. Not time to panic yet. I still believe we can win 7.

VN Store

Back