The Steps

tnutater

I refuse to say process because it sounds like Little Nickey.

Step 1 Weed out the roster......CHECK

Step 2 Win the games where the Vols are more talented than the opponent...…..NOT there yet (Ga St, BYU). The Vols will need to prove they can win these games for several years.

Step 3 Be competitive against the big three. Allow no big blowouts, might even win one here or there. However, the Vols will need to prove they can at least be competitive for several years.

Step 4 Elite top 5 recruiting. This will not happen until the prior steps are completed. The Vols will have to prove they can recruit top classes for several years.

Step 5 Win half of the games against Fl, Ga, and Al. The Vols will have to prove they can do this over several years.

Step 6 We there.

I like the progress in the first two years. If CJP is given the time and resources to progress through these steps, it can be done. My concern is not if CJP can but what will happen when Fulmer steps down as AD. Fulmer said when given the job that two years was about how long he wanted to be AD. How long he stays is anyone's guess. There just about has to be an AD change before the Vols can climb back out of the deep hole that they were in during the last decade. With the TV money flowing, I have little faith that the UT administration will continue the recent focus. I have very little faith that Vol fans will allow ANY coach the time needed for a rebuild. I have NO faith that the big boosters will allow the time needed, after all they are rich and therefore know what is best.

Step 3 is starting to happen. It just took half the season to learn step 3.

Next year we loose some play makers but gained a lot of freshman experience this year.

I think year 4-5 we turn a big corner to be a top 10 team.

Reactions: Ratvol
Great analysis with steps. The way Pruitt recruits, I am not sure we will every be happy with the recruiting rankings. Rankings are based on non-coach people ranking. They seem to bump up a recruit's ranking when one of the big boys is selected. Hopefully we become one the the big boys.

Great analysis with steps. The way Pruitt recruits, I am not sure we will every be happy with the recruiting rankings. Rankings are based on non-coach people ranking. They seem to bump up a recruit's ranking when one of the big boys is selected. Hopefully we become one the the big boys.

It's pretty obvious by now that CJP can spot talent and knows who to go after.

As far as star ratings, I look at them as just an indicator. I am more interested in who is also trying to get them too. That usually tells me a lot more than what some "non-coach" deems their talent to be.

Reactions: hmhawk
i clicked on thinking was going to help with my drinking problem.

tenor.gif

Step 3 is starting to happen. It just took half the season to learn step 3.

Next year we loose some play makers but gained a lot of freshman experience this year.

I think year 4-5 we turn a big corner to be a top 10 team.

Next years team should be a lot better than this one. We just need to replace two LBs, Bituli was incredible, and I think we have very talented guys to step in there with Crouch and Harrison plus others. Warrior is gone but we have some really good Safeties with Theo, Flowers and others. Buchanan is the only CB we might lose and he didn't play last season.

Losing Jennings and Calloway hurts but Gibbs is gonna be real good and Keyton looked incredible against Indiana plus we still have Palmer. We also know that Brandon Johnson is very good but was just overshadowed by Jennings and Calloway. Plus new WRs.

We need a pass-catching TE to step up alongside great blocking TE Pope and our OL should be Top 3 in SEC next season.

Special Teams return virtually intact. WR transfer from USC is a great returner to replace Calloway.

If JG/BM/HB can play above average and at the very least control turnovers, we should win more games next season. It will be year 2 with Chaney, so hopefully JG makes good progress.

It's pretty obvious by now that CJP can spot talent and knows who to go after.

As far as star ratings, I look at them as just an indicator. I am more interested in who is also trying to get them too. That usually tells me a lot more than what some "non-coach" deems their talent to be.
So true. I should have just said ELITE rrecruiting, not top 5.

Reactions: spyfish007

Step 2 Win the games where the Vols are more talented than the opponent...…..NOT there yet (Ga St, BYU). The Vols will need to prove they can win these games for several years.

Step 3 Be competitive against the big three. Allow no big blowouts, might even win one here or there. However, the Vols will need to prove they can at least be competitive for several years.

Step 4 Elite top 5 recruiting. This will not happen until the prior steps are completed. The Vols will have to prove they can recruit top classes for several years.

Step 5 Win half of the games against Fl, Ga, and Al. The Vols will have to prove they can do this over several years.

Step 6 We there.

I like the progress in the first two years. If CJP is given the time and resources to progress through these steps, it can be done. My concern is not if CJP can but what will happen when Fulmer steps down as AD. Fulmer said when given the job that two years was about how long he wanted to be AD. How long he stays is anyone's guess. There just about has to be an AD change before the Vols can climb back out of the deep hole that they were in during the last decade. With the TV money flowing, I have little faith that the UT administration will continue the recent focus. I have very little faith that Vol fans will allow ANY coach the time needed for a rebuild. I have NO faith that the big boosters will allow the time needed, after all they are rich and therefore know what is best.

I think another step (or maybe it is just a sign of improvement rather than a step in the process) is showing that we can manage the assistant coach turnover by hiring high quality replacements. Having coaches want to come here is a necessary step.
GBO

I think another step (or maybe it is just a sign of improvement rather than a step in the process) is showing that we can manage the assistant coach turnover by hiring high quality replacements. Having coaches want to come here is a necessary step.
GBO

Another step, have enough coaching continuity that we aren't constantly paying buyouts!

Reactions: OldLofter
I am as much of a Bama hater as anyone, I mean if we can only win 1 game per year I would pick Bama as that game. BUT, beating them in the regular season does you zero good if you cannot win the others. From 1995 - 2003 we beat Bama 8 out of 9 games but only won the SEC East 3 times. Lumping them in with UF and UGA is not where the focus should be. Our first job is to win the East, cannot do that if we lose to UF and UGA each year, no matter how bad we beat Bama.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I am as much of a Bama hater as anyone, I mean if we can only win 1 game per year I would pick Bama as that game. BUT, beating them in the regular season does you zero good if you cannot win the others. From 1995 - 2003 we beat Bama 8 out of 9 games but only won the SEC East 3 times. Lumping them in with UF and UGA is not where the focus should be. Our first job is to win the East, cannot do that if we lose to UF and UGA each year, no matter how bad we beat Bama.
Another way to look at it is that if the Vols can beat Alabama half the time, they do not have to be concerned about playing with anyone. It may be a long time before Al drops to the level of suck I enjoyed them having during our last run on them. Just so everyone is clear............ I hope the Tide never wins another game.

Umm..we were outscored 112-30 against the Big 3.
Florida blew us out, to be expected, they beat the **** out of us every year.

We played Georgia very well for a half, were still in it midway through the 3rd, just didn’t have enough to hang with them for 4 quarters.

On Bama’s goal line with a chance to make it a 1 score with 7 minutes left in the game before Guarantano’s inexplicable stupidity.

So, honestly, in 2 of the 3 games the final scores were misleading. 112-30 didn’t tell the full story at all imo.

Step 1 open big bottle...step 2 drink from big bottle...skip steps 3 and 4.. fast track to success!
Many of us on here don't have a Drinking Problem...…………. I'm not sure about y'all, but I only have a Stopping Problem.

Reactions: Boca Vol

Step 6 We there.

How do you win half of three games

Reactions: saxvol

VN Store

Back