The state of the State of Colorado football

brockytop

Fascinating how UC and Colorado State have brutal football programs at same time. They’re literally two of the worst programs in all of CFB right now. Colorado State lost by 31 to Sacramento State this past Saturday and Colorado got pounded by UCLA—they’re beyond awful. UC hiring Karl Dorrell is right up there with us bring in Derek Fooley and Skoal Can.

I understand that Fort Collins is not the easiest place in the world to recruit. And Sacramento St is 3-0 and seem to be a decent FCS team. And CSU lost their starting QB during the game. But there are no circumstances in which it should be acceptable for an FCS school to walk into and FBS stadium and beat the home team 41-10.

I understand that Fort Collins is not the easiest place in the world to recruit. And Sacramento St is 3-0 and seem to be a decent FCS team. And CSU lost their starting QB during the game. But there are no circumstances in which it should be acceptable for an FCS school to walk into and FBS stadium and beat the home team 41-10.

Ft. Collins is a nice town and only an hour from Denver. Plus, the Rams have a beautiful stadium that is only 5-6 years old. I guess the Mike Bobo Effect took them to their knees.

Not counting the Covid shortened season, Colorado has had one winning season since 2006. Bad hires and lack of give a damn by the CU administration has to led to what should be a decently successful program becoming a laughing stock. I think that Jay Norvell is a solid coach who will turn CSU around. Mike Bobo didn’t do a very good job, but Steve Addazio was an absolute cluster**** of a hire.

Reactions: brockytop
I know Colorado's demise began before they joined the PAC 12, but that really seemed to dig them even further into irrelevance. You never see them on ABC or ESPN anymore. They were a fixture on those networks from 1988 to 2005. McCartney's teams played tough out-of-conference schedules and more than held their own.

2011 was the worst possible time to join that league. It's easy to forget that they even still exist.

Bieniemy turned Colorado down in 2020, will be interesting to see if they offer him the job again. He may take it this time with all the negative press and controversy he is getting in Kansas City.

One of my favorite non-Tennessee or non-SEC games of the CFB season used to be Nebraska/Colorado. Sad to see what has become of both programs.

Colorado has always been one of those schools without a good conference fit. Even in the Big 8 days they were kind of isolated from midwest schools that formed the core of it.

Bieniemy turned Colorado down in 2020, will be interesting to see if they offer him the job again. He may take it this time with all the negative press and controversy he is getting in Kansas City.

Imagine having a Pro Football gig, making great $$ and not having to recruit vs

rebuilding a terrible NCAA Football program.

EB will probably stay in the NFL.

somewhere.

One of my favorite non-Tennessee or non-SEC games of the CFB season used to be Nebraska/Colorado. Sad to see what has become of both programs.

Colorado has always been one of those schools without a good conference fit. Even in the Big 8 days they were kind of isolated from midwest schools that formed the core of it.

My favorite non-UT game was Colorado's route of #1 Nebraska in 2001. Utterly flabbergasted to see a team absolutely dominate that Nebraska at will. I could run through those holes with a beer in my hand!

Imagine having a Pro Football gig, making great $$ and not having to recruit vs

rebuilding a terrible NCAA Football program.

EB will probably stay in the NFL.

somewhere.
Unless Colorado hires Bieniemy's agent to be their AD (see current state of affairs at Arizona State) Eric will not take the Colorado job if offered. Very doubtful if he would take any college jobs IMO.

My favorite non-UT game was Colorado's route of #1 Nebraska in 2001. Utterly flabbergasted to see a team absolutely dominate that Nebraska at will. I could run through those holes with a beer in my hand!

I remember that game. Going to a game in Boulder when they are good looks like it would be a lot of fun. Folsom Field is not big but that place looked rowdy, and it's Boulder Freaking Colorado. Beautiful.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Can't think of a single program that has fallen as hard as Colorado. It's not merely that they made a bad coaching hire or two. They're just not competitive any more.

They have a similar problem as Nebraska in that there's not much football talent in a 500-mile radius. But their issues seem to run deeper than Nebraska. I'm not sure they have the will to be competitive any more. They've essentially become Kentucky in the 80s and 90s. Their fans show up to games, but the university doesn't seem to care much about the program.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I saw this stat on Pro Football Reference :

The 1990 Colorado Buffaloes (who we tied in the 1st game of the season 31-31), had 8 players who would go on to play at least 9 seasons in the NFL, and 4 of them were LB's :

Alfred Williams
Greg Biekert
Ted Johnson
Chad Brown
Joel Steed
Jay Leeuwenberg
Eric Bieniemy
Mike Pritchard

That is the kind of talent stockpile that Alabama and Georgia have been doing... but they can't recruit crap right now.

Last edited:
Can't think of a single program that has fallen as hard as Colorado. It's not merely that they made a bad coaching hire or two. They're just not competitive any more.

They have a similar problem as Nebraska in that there's not much football talent in a 500-mile radius. But their issues seem to run deeper than Nebraska. I'm not sure they have the will to be competitive any more. They've essentially become Kentucky in the 80s and 90s. Their fans show up to games, but the university doesn't seem to care much about the program.
I think they have very Nebraska-like problems. Unlike Nebraska, they are located close to a large metro area that has grown a lot over the last 20 years (Denver) but it does not put out lots of football talent and is more of a pro sports town. They do not fit in the Pac 12, but Colorado has never really fit in any conference they've been in. They haven't been the same since they had to fire Gary Barnett and have made one bad coaching hire after another. I don't know how much their fans or admin really care, but then again they've been terrible for so long it is hard to get excited. It will be very hard for them to be good again, I think.

They've been outscored by an average of 43-12 through the first 4 games. Ouch.

Reactions: MAD
Their liberal legislature has made them non competitive in hiring coaches with strict financial limitations. And as we well know, it’s about hiring the right people

I just always thought they were like Nebraska on a smaller scale. They were a team that had a pretty good successful period in the 80s and 90s and then they were just kind of left behind. I always thought like Nebraksa to the Big 10, Colorado to the Pac 12 was a weird move. They lost the Nebraska/Colorado rivalry and to be honest I still forget sometimes they're even in the Pac 12.

Reactions: Plecoptera
Their liberal legislature has made them non competitive in hiring coaches with strict financial limitations. And as we well know, it’s about hiring the right people
Ole Miss got around legislative contract length problems by paying Kiffin from a foundation rather than the state treasury.

Colorado just needs to get creative.

Matt Rhule vs Prime time gonna be fun.

Mine too my first memory of Colorado football was the QB I’m sorry can’t remember the name he died of cancer in the season, then it seemed like CU was starting to make noise after that, Bill Mcartney was a good coach..I had some Colorado gear as a kid

Also meant to say I’m a Deion fan and always have been along with Bo Jackson.. he’s really a great character of a man if u watched any documentary on Jackson St you saw how he was teaching his players and I appreciate that more than anything as a man, we need more men like Deion imo…

VN Store

Back