"The Social Dilemma" implications

Can you give a quick synopsis of what the social dilemma is?
It's great and really eye opening. It will make you think twice about what you let your kids do. At the end none of the former employees interviewed let their kids on social media. Tells you all you need to know

I’ve been saying its given a platform to the narcissism of human nature.

That said, the curated content is contributing to the tribal bubbles. I’ve seen it play out on my own FB. I’m rarely on it but when I do scroll I will drop a couple likes. Recently I realized I don’t see some old high shcool “friends” posts anymore. Some others I see much more often. The difference? Political leanings and articles shared. This has even lead to my mom’s post being “hidden” from my feed 😂

Social media got so much better once I started unfollowing people (mostly because they posted too much about politics or they're just negative/complainers). None of the 6 kids in my family follow my parents because they are political trolls. It's so weird. I think one of the problems with social media is that we haven't figured out a standard of etiquette.

Social media got so much better once I started unfollowing people (mostly because they posted too much about politics or they're just negative/complainers). None of the 6 kids in my family follow my parents because they are political trolls. It's so weird. I think one of the problems with social media is that we haven't figured out a standard of etiquette.
Should be the same standard you teach your kids. Problem is, it isn't getting taught like it should. Kids are being raised to be spoiled, entitled brats with very little respect for others.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Should be the same standard you teach your kids. Problem is, it isn't getting taught like it should. Kids are being raised to be spoiled, entitled brats with very little respect for others.

Totally disagree... the problem is mostly in adults who pass blame on the “younger generation”. Their problem is the lack of self control to post absurd **** on their SM that they would NEVER say to someone’s face.

Oddly enough I think the Gen Z and peak Millennials who are native to this form of digital interaction follow a much more controlled SM etiquette than the elder Millennials, Gen X, and up generations. Not to say they are perfect by any means.

Totally disagree... the problem is mostly in adults who pass blame on the “younger generation”. Their problem is the lack of self control to post absurd **** on their SM that they would NEVER say to someone’s face.

Oddly enough I think the Gen Z and peak Millennials who are native to this form of digital interaction follow a much more controlled SM etiquette than the elder Millennials, Gen X, and up generations. Not to say they are perfect by any means.

IDK about IRL, but anecdotally on my social media feeds, the biggest trouble makers are gen X and boomers. I am an old millennial. I don't see any gen Z trolling because they aren't on FB and I'm not on twitter much (which is where they're trolling, if they're even doing it). I see a few of my peers trolling. I see a decent amount of gen x trolls. I see lots of boomers trolling.

It's ironic that our parents bemoaned all the time wasted on technology as well as the negative implications of it because they are now the case study for these woes. My parents come to see their grandchildren and they're on the phone half the time, completely ignoring this toddler they rarely see, and they wonder why I don't ask them to watch my kid. My Dad's just sitting there watching riot footage and Fox News all day with loud volume you have to tell him to cut the sound. They just don't get it.

Reactions: BenGrimm
Incorrect sir. I was not raised that way and I am trying to raise my kids to be respectful and not spoiled brats. However, the society we live in has an extremely strong influence.

You have reinforced your gross over-generalization with anecdotal evidence. This post is meaningless.

You're making the same gripe every generation makes and you think it's different this time because you think your limited personal experience is proof. What's worse, being a self-involved gen Zer? Or being a bitter ageist old cuss who doesn't understand cognitive biases?

You have reinforced your gross over-generalization with anecdotal evidence. This post is meaningless.

You're making the same gripe every generation makes and you think it's different this time because you think your limited personal experience is proof. What's worse, being a self-involved gen Zer? Or being a bitter ageist old cuss who doesn't understand cognitive biases?
You seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Or you choose to ignore reality and facts. Either way you appear ignorant on this.

What facts am I ignoring? Educate me.
You take an approach of attacking me personally rather that the facts I presented. Makes you sound ignorant.
Fact: I was not raised to be disrespectful. Yes, I am old and my generation's world was vastly different than it is today. We can debate whether it is better now. But kids being disrespectful was not tolerated like it is now.
Fact: I am trying to raise my kids to not be disrespectful. I have teenagers. I see the kind of kids they go to school with. They are not respectful generally and if it were me at their age acting that way I would have been on the floor. Respect for others just seems to be an evaporating thing. We can debate this as well.
Fact: our society has an extremely strong influence. I don't think this can be argued. The 24/7/365 technology and information has a bigger influence on kids than parents or teachers do. Parents are partly to blame for allowing their kids to have access to it like they do.
Fact: In 1998, when I lived in Knoxville, one of my daughters got in a scuffle with a boy on the playground. They were in 2nd grade. The teacher called me and gave me the story. Boy pushed girl, girl punched boy. I asked if she spanked my daughter. She said no, they weren't allowed. I told her she was allowed and if she needed it, go ahead. She said no they simply weren't allowed. I asked when that started. She said about 3 years prior. I asked if the kids knew this. She said yes. I asked then if she noticed a change in their behavior. She said "yes, it was immediate. "

We can debate whether our society, as a whole, is being raised to be disrespectful. My wife is a former school teacher. She saw firsthand kids that were. She had numerous parents show up to berate her over their snowflake earning bad grades or discipline and tell her they were not raising their kid to respect anyone. And she is just one teacher. I am quite certain there is ample data to suggest (or prove) that it is widespread, not just an isolated thing. Government has given kids way more power than they can handle and they wield it in a reckless manner. Kids' brains are not capable of handling what the government has given them.

Facts don't lie.

You take an approach of attacking me personally rather that the facts I presented. Makes you sound ignorant.
Fact: I was not raised to be disrespectful. Yes, I am old and my generation's world was vastly different than it is today. We can debate whether it is better now. But kids being disrespectful was not tolerated like it is now.
Fact: I am trying to raise my kids to not be disrespectful. I have teenagers. I see the kind of kids they go to school with. They are not respectful generally and if it were me at their age acting that way I would have been on the floor. Respect for others just seems to be an evaporating thing. We can debate this as well.
Fact: our society has an extremely strong influence. I don't think this can be argued. The 24/7/365 technology and information has a bigger influence on kids than parents or teachers do. Parents are partly to blame for allowing their kids to have access to it like they do.
Fact: In 1998, when I lived in Knoxville, one of my daughters got in a scuffle with a boy on the playground. They were in 2nd grade. The teacher called me and gave me the story. Boy pushed girl, girl punched boy. I asked if she spanked my daughter. She said no, they weren't allowed. I told her she was allowed and if she needed it, go ahead. She said no they simply weren't allowed. I asked when that started. She said about 3 years prior. I asked if the kids knew this. She said yes. I asked then if she noticed a change in their behavior. She said "yes, it was immediate. "

We can debate whether our society, as a whole, is being raised to be disrespectful. My wife is a former school teacher. She saw firsthand kids that were. She had numerous parents show up to berate her over their snowflake earning bad grades or discipline and tell her they were not raising their kid to respect anyone. And she is just one teacher. I am quite certain there is ample data to suggest (or prove) that it is widespread, not just an isolated thing. Government has given kids way more power than they can handle and they wield it in a reckless manner. Kids' brains are not capable of handling what the government has given them.

Facts don't lie.

You don't know what the difference between fact and opinion is.

How in the **** did this happen if teachers stop hitting kids? It's a miracle!

Teens today are having less sex, drinking and using drugs less often, CDC survey says

You don't know what the difference between fact and opinion is.

How in the **** did this happen if teachers stop hitting kids? It's a miracle!

Teens today are having less sex, drinking and using drugs less often, CDC survey says
You really should embrace reality. Or sober up. The facts I stated are just that. Facts. They actually happened.

fact

noun
a thing that is known or proved to be true.

o·pin·ion

noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

You really should embrace reality. Or sober up. The facts I stated are just that. Facts. They actually happened.

fact

noun
a thing that is known or proved to be true.

o·pin·ion

noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

It's not a fact that you were raised to be respectful. That's a judgment and an opinion. What if somebody else thought your parents didn't go far enough? Or they value different types of respect and they judge your upbringing differently? What if somebody saw your posts in this thread and made the judgment that your parents failed to teach you to be respectful? What if 20 people back you up? No matter what somebody thinks about it, it's an opinion. It's all relative to the person judging the situation, and therefore nobody is wrong and nobody has a fact.

It's not a fact that you were raised to be respectful. That's a judgment and an opinion. What if somebody else thought your parents didn't go far enough? Or they value different types of respect and they judge your upbringing differently? What if somebody saw your posts in this thread and made the judgment that your parents failed to teach you to be respectful? What if 20 people back you up? No matter what somebody thinks about it, it's an opinion. It's all relative to the person judging the situation, and therefore nobody is wrong and nobody has a fact.
Yes it is. Whether or not how I was raised actually worked, it is a fact that I was raised to be respectful. You were not there so you have no idea how I was raised. So your interpretation is an opinion. The rest of your statements are also opinions. I really can't explain it any clearer than I have already. I cannot teach he who refuses to learn. Nobody is so blind as the one who refuses to see. Whether

We watched the documentary today, and I found it extremely disturbing. I think we all know that some of our information is being harvested, but this really opened my eyes.

I have already made a couple of changes and am crafting a set of guidelines for my family. I'm also going to get a printed guide together for parents in my office.

I would love to hear suggestions for how other parents handle social media for their children, and for themselves.

My thoughts so far (some already in place):
- turn off all notifications
- set age limits (16? 18?) for social media apps
- no phones/devices an hour before bedtime, all put up on chargers out of the bedrooms
- all games set to "private," where only friends are visible
- no personal data, names, location, etc
- no sharing planned trips, even locally
- no pics in any kind of revealing clothes (dance, gym clothes, bathing suits, etc)
- consider eliminating social media apps entirely

Too complicated. I vote for an EMP and a return to the pre-tech days. Folks will need to get off their collective asses and work to survive. Govt will be toast and the vast majority of them won't make it 3 mos.

My thoughts so far (some already in place):
- turn off all notifications
- set age limits (16? 18?) for social media apps
- no phones/devices an hour before bedtime, all put up on chargers out of the bedrooms
- all games set to "private," where only friends are visible
- no personal data, names, location, etc
- no sharing planned trips, even locally

- no pics in any kind of revealing clothes (dance, gym clothes, bathing suits, etc)
- consider eliminating social media apps entirely

These phones can be hacked or controlled to the point that the highlighted actions won't even matter. You don't have to have Facebook or Twitter on your phone for your privacy to be jeopardized.

And what about your friends and family that don't follow your social media actions? Your friends and family could just as easily give up your where abouts if you are on a long vacation or if your just bought a new vehicle or gun or whatever.

Havent watched the movie but I’m on board with all of OP’s points.

My kids are still under 10. They dont have phones and wont for many years still. We limit screen time as it is so even when they get one the rules are already established.

As for myself, I have never taken to social media. I have accounts but am not active. I do recognize my own screen addictions though. Iphone has a screen time function that limits usage to X hours per day or during Y-Z hours. I’ve been using it and cut my daily time down by 30%. There is a family feature to control kids accounts as well.

This was roughly what we did. No phones until middle school (age 12). Limit on electronics time until high school. Can’t really implement that for our high school teenager as so much of her homework requires online usage but we ask her to turn off an hour before bed.

Mom watches content of some online activity. It is shocking what is out there. Mainly, we try and reinforce to our girls that they should not be connecting with strangers, friends of friends etc. I honestly don’t know how successful we have been. I do think social media is a much bigger problem for kids today than technological changes in the past. The abuse potential is very high.

Yes it is. Whether or not how I was raised actually worked, it is a fact that I was raised to be respectful. You were not there so you have no idea how I was raised. So your interpretation is an opinion. The rest of your statements are also opinions. I really can't explain it any clearer than I have already. I cannot teach he who refuses to learn. Nobody is so blind as the one who refuses to see. Whether

It's still a matter of judgment and opinion. I guarantee you 90%+ of parents of gen zers would claim they raise their kids to be respectful. You judge it differently. Do you get how it's an opinion for both parties in both cases?

It's still a matter of judgment and opinion. I guarantee you 90%+ of parents of gen zers would claim they raise their kids to be respectful. You judge it differently. Do you get how it's an opinion for both parties in both cases?
Yes I do. It is your opinion, it is my fact. You base your opinion on what you see after the fact. And that is fine. I would likely do the same thing. Base my decision on the results. But, as a kid, I was not allowed to be disrespectful without serious consequences.

Don't look now... geezers are starting to say the absurd crap to people's faces. The level of gullability in the boomers is astounding. They'll believe anything, at a time when it's so easy to look stuff up.

And yes, that is from my anecdotal experience.

VN Store

Back