The Snyder Cut (HBO Max)

It was a huge leap forward however the DCU has a long way to go before they can catch up with the MCU. My issue is that they are trying to match Marvel. Personally, I think they would be better served to make their universe in the essence of The Dark Knight trilogy and Joker.

Without a doubt, 100% correct.

That would involve scrapping a lot of the “supernatural” aspects of DC, and probably Superman altogether, but it would be epic. Keeping it as realistic as possible would be the right play.

It was a huge leap forward however the DCU has a long way to go before they can catch up with the MCU. My issue is that they are trying to match Marvel. Personally, I think they would be better served to make their universe in the essence of The Dark Knight trilogy and Joker.

Hmm... IDK.

I think trying to match the DK tone when they started with MoS set this whole thing in the wrong direction. What works for Batman doesn’t translate to characters like Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Hmm... IDK.

I think trying to match the DK tone when they started with MoS set this whole thing in the wrong direction. What works for Batman doesn’t translate to characters like Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman.

I was using that as more of an example, but they do have to make a decision. How far out of the realm of the "real" do they want to go? It just all seems plastic. Like WW84 was really really hokey. Like opposite direction from the first one.

Hmm... IDK.

Yeah they would just need to do like a “Dark Knightverse”, there’s enough source material within Batman to keep it in the realm of realism.

Reactions: BenGrimm
This movie could have done without the last 10-15 minutes or so. But I suppose what's 10-15 minutes in a 4 hour long movie.

The DCEU is trash. DC individually is amazing. Batman and Superman are the top 2 most iconic superheroes of all time.

Meh they are only "iconic" because they were around a lot longer. I would say there are a handful of Marvel characters that are far more entertaining and interesting than those two.

I just have a hard time taking DC movies serious at this point. I'm slightly interested in this, but the original was so awful I probably never will watch it.

Meh they are only "iconic" because they were around a lot longer. I would say there are a handful of Marvel characters that are far more entertaining and interesting than those two.

Most iconic and most popular.

I’m Marvel all the way, but I agree with this. I’m sure there are thousands of people out there that can’t name a single character Marvel has ever made, but still know who Batman and Superman are.

So the ignorant masses know them...yay. If it wasn't for Nolan Batman would be total camp. As for Superman, snooze.

I’m Marvel all the way, but I agree with this. I’m sure there are thousands of people out there that can’t name a single character Marvel has ever made, but still know who Batman and Superman are.

It is kind a ironic that Marvel has dominated the superhero genre since the mid 1960s but Batman and Superman are the two most iconic characters in the world.

Although I would say Spider-Man is up there in worldwide recognition too.

The gap has closed significantly over the past 15 years thanks to the movies though.

Frank Miller pulled Batman out of the campiness with his Dark Knight series. Nolan and Snyder pulled from Miller heavily.
Superman is a tough character to handle for anyone though there are some great Superman stories out there.
Marvel has done a great job with the movies. It may have helped when the characters they used didn’t have the iconic nature that Batman and Superman have.

Edit: marvel has struggled with some of their icons too: Fantastic Four.

The DC movies have been, largely, built by committee and that shows.
I’ve enjoyed most all of the DC and Marvel films. Some more than others. I’m happy we are getting these films with these characters on a regular basis.
I really like that were starting to see lesser know things come to the screen as well. Knocking down one thing doesn’t raise the other.

Reactions: Carp and davethevol
Frank Miller pulled Batman out of the campiness with his Dark Knight series. Nolan and Snyder pulled from Miller heavily.
Superman is a tough character to handle for anyone though there are some great Superman stories out there.
Marvel has done a great job with the movies. It may have helped when the characters they used didn’t have the iconic nature that Batman and Superman have.

Edit: marvel has struggled with some of their icons too: Fantastic Four.

The DC movies have been, largely, built by committee and that shows.
I’ve enjoyed most all of the DC and Marvel films. Some more than others. I’m happy we are getting these films with these characters on a regular basis.
I really like that were starting to see lesser know things come to the screen as well. Knocking down one thing doesn’t raise the other.

In fairness MARVEL has not done an FF movie yet.

Marvel also has a special leader in Kevin Feigi. He understands what was special about the stories and interconnected world Jack and Stan built. He has a vision and a direction he wants the universe to move toward. No other studio really has that. Even Lucasfilm is basically rudderless which showed in the Star Wars sequels. John Lasseter at Pixar is close but he wasn’t managing an interconnected Universe.

That said, WB has no excuse. They have had exclusive rights to all of DC since the 70s.

Agreed.
These aren’t easy to pull off. So big. So much money involved. The MCU worked because of Feigi. DC never had that one vision thing and they rushed to catch up.
It seems like the next Batman film will not even try to be part of the DCEU. So we shall see.
I’d like to see Spielberg talk on a Superman film. he does nostalgia so well and that could really work with big blue.

Most iconic and most popular.

This is contextually tricky. Are we just talking comics, motion or both? Spiderman, Wolverine and Hulk are crazy iconic and Wolverine has yet to get any of the MCU treatment.

The real rogue in this is Deadpool. Although clearly way short of any of the others in pedigree that character has simply exploded.

I sometimes think that Marvel fans tend to forget that outside Captain America the vast majority of DC heroes were around for two decades before the Marvel characters made their debut.

Superman (Apil 18, 1938)
Batman (March 30, 1939)
Captain Marvel aka Shazam (December 1939)
Robin (April 1940)
Green Lantern (July 1940)
Justice Society (1940)
Captain America (March 1941)
Wonder Woman (October 1941)
Green Arrow (November 1941)
The Flash (1956)
Supergirl (1958)
Groot (November 1960)
Batgirl (1961)
The Hulk (May 1962)
Spider-Man (August 1962)
Iron Man (March 1963)
Doctor Strange (July 1963)
X-Men (September 1963)
Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff (April 1964)
Hawkeye (September 1964)
Captain Marvel (January 1967)
Guardians of the Galaxy (January 1969)
Drax the Destroyer (February 1973)
Wolverine (September 1974)
Gamora (June 1975)
Star-Lord/Peter Quill (January 1976)
Rocket Racoon (Summer 1976)
Ms. Marvel (January 1977)
Deadpool (February 1991)

Reactions: jaybird_1981
DC also had better villains for the most part. The Joker being the most iconic villain in comic history, and he's not even powered.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
This is contextually tricky. Are we just talking comics, motion or both? Spiderman, Wolverine and Hulk are crazy iconic and Wolverine has yet to get any of the MCU treatment.

The real rogue in this is Deadpool. Although clearly way short of any of the others in pedigree that character has simply exploded.

Both. Spidey, Hulk, and Wolverine are iconic too, but definitely less so than Supes and Batman, imo.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Both. Spidey, Hulk, and Wolverine are iconic too, but definitely less so than Supes and Batman, imo.

Spider-Man has been as iconic worldwide as Superman and Batman over the last 40ish years easily. The Spidey head was part of Marvel’s international branding for decades. He had a live action show Japan and Turkey.

I watched it but found it meh. I guess it was better than the original but it was 4 dang hours long.

I honestly didn't remember the bad dialogue from the first so it had some improvement in development but other than that.

Also, found the 4:3 annoying.

VN Store

Back