The shut down thread

This government shutdown is eye-opening in a bunch of ways, and the reaction it causes shows the different worldviews of people.

On one hand, I sympathize with the people not getting paid. On the other, it is very revealing 1) just how many people work for the federal government and 2) just how many of them have "oh s**t" moments because they've gone a couple weeks without a paycheck. I've seen stats where something like 2/3rds of the country lives paycheck to paycheck, or something close to it. It's sad.

At what point do the red hats get enough oxygen to the hamsters in their heads that trumps fear mongering a crisis in order to distract from the fact that he has no idea what he's doing?

If even for a split second they were able to conjure up enough objectivity they'd admit they'd have absolutely FREAKED THE FUQ OUT if Obama had shut the government down for a historical amount of time because the House GOP didn't allow him to spend the people's money the way he wanted to.

The "national emergency" is about to be the next "executive order" when the congress won't do the presidents bidding. So much for checks and balances.

If air traffic controllers stopped going to work that would be a quick ending to the shutdown.

Yes it would.

There was a story on last night or the night before about the Coast Guard won't be paid either, I made the comment that "well my first LES showing zero would be my last day of duty" the wife who has a cousin in the CG said they can't just not show up. I had to remind her that slavery was outlawed and once the paychecks stop the .gov has breached the contract.

At what point do the red hats get enough oxygen to the hamsters in their heads that trumps fear mongering a crisis in order to distract from the fact that he has no idea what he's doing?

If even for a split second they were able to conjure up enough objectivity they'd admit they'd have absolutely FREAKED THE FUQ OUT if Obama had shut the government down for a historical amount of time because the House GOP didn't allow him to spend the people's money.

The "national emergency" is about to be the next "executive order" when the congress won't do the presidents bidding. So much for checks and balances.
Is there a crisis, or isn't there a crisis? Because just a few months ago the media sent dozens of reporters to the border and to talk about ICE/Border Patrol ripping families apart, and how there were tons of refugees coming to the border, and it was all Trump's fault. Now Donald says there is a crisis, but Jim Acosta stood in front of the steel barrier in McAllen yesterday and said there's no crisis.

Nobody has any objectivity whatsoever in any of this.

Reactions: BigOrangeD
This government shutdown is eye-opening in a bunch of ways, and the reaction it causes shows the different worldviews of people.

On one hand, I sympathize with the people not getting paid. On the other, it is very revealing 1) just how many people work for the federal government and 2) just how many of them have "oh s**t" moments because they've gone a couple weeks without a paycheck. I've seen stats where something like 2/3rds of the country lives paycheck to paycheck, or something close to it. It's sad.

The government shutdown spotlights a bigger issue: 78% of US workers live paycheck to paycheck

Reactions: 1972 Grad

If even for a split second they were able to conjure up enough objectivity they'd admit they'd have absolutely FREAKED THE FUQ OUT if Obama had shut the government down for a historical amount of time because the House GOP didn't allow him to spend the people's money.

Did we freak out when he shut it down in 2013 over ACA?

Reactions: AM64 and ajvol01
If the border problem is truly a national emergency why has Trump not already acted. Emergencies need to be handled like "now". It seems like it should have been done days, weeks, months ago. No, it's just Trump putting his personal political interests above the Nation he is suppose to serve.

If air traffic controllers stopped going to work that would be a quick ending to the shutdown.
Doubt it. By law, the President can order them back or they would permanently lose their job. My guess is most would go back to work and wait for their check.

Let's see, you say wrong route, I say right one:
Tax Cut - Check Almost exclusively for the richest and at the expense of an exploding deficit.
ObummerCare Gone - Check Replaced by nothing.
Two Judges who are not Libs on Supreme Court - Check Got me on that one
Rebuilding Military - Check It's a good thing because we've lost the support of our allies
Kicking the Crap out of ISIS - Check Hopefully - the Middle East is still a big question mark
WithDrawal from Paris Accord Agreement - Check One of his worst moves and one with long term consequences
Taking on the Liberal Biased Fake Media - Check His gaslighting has also done immeasurable long term damage. The country is dumber
Fighting for a Secure Boarder - Check The WALL will be a running joke for decades to come
Snowflakes Heads Exploding - Check Or said another way, a rejuvenated democratic party

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. He's doing a great job unless you are a lib.

All a matter of perspective.

If they haven't figured out that this is how he rolls by now, it's not going to happen

Is there a crisis, or isn't there a crisis? Because just a few months ago the media sent dozens of reporters to the border and to talk about ICE/Border Patrol ripping families apart, and how there were tons of refugees coming to the border, and it was all Trump's fault. Now Donald says there is a crisis, but Jim Acosta stood in front of the steel barrier in McAllen yesterday and said there's no crisis.

Nobody has any objectivity whatsoever in any of this.

I guess one needs to define "crisis." ICE taking kids from their parents and not giving them back was trumps call - probably a "crisis" for the parents. The numbers of people immigrating to the U.S. is at all time low, not sure where you get the "tons of people coming to the border." Trump fear-mongering about the caravan hordes of strollers full of MS13 baby's was a last ditch attempt to swing some votes prior to the mid-term. He conjured up that crisis as well, now he's parlaying this into his Alamo because Coulter and Hannity called him a pussy.

I guess one needs to define "crisis." ICE taking kids from their parents and not giving them back was trumps call - probably a "crisis" for the parents. The numbers of people immigrating to the U.S. is at all time low, not sure where you get the "tons of people coming to the border." Trump fear-mongering about the caravan hordes of strollers full of MS13 baby's was a last ditch attempt to swing some votes prior to the mid-term. He conjured up that crisis as well, now he's parlaying this into his Alamo because Coulter and Hannity called him a pussy.
I didn't say there actually was. That was the media claim at the time, when they went on that 7-10 day bender over the summer talking incessantly about family separations at the border (sad but happens all the time, not a new thing), people coming to the border with no place to go/being turned away, and how it was all Trump's doing.

Man's gotta eat. Are they eligible for food stamps or unemployment? I dare say you care more about a border wall than hard working americans that protect your safety.
You look incredibly stupid saying this while ignoring all the hard working Americans illegals has killed in the link a page back.

Did we freak out when he shut it down in 2013 over ACA?

Why would you, it was a GOP Senate that wouldn't send a CR to Obama for signing. Now imagine if Obama said, "F you guys, I'll just declare a national emergency and do it anyway."

You, in particular, would have certainly been in need of inpatient psychiatric treatment.

I suppose the real test of your intellectual honesty is if Trump does this, and circumvents the separation of powers - will you call a spade a spade?

VN Store

Back