The Section 103 Postgame Report

It's sad when you take 21 more shots than the other team and lose by 10 - 21 MORE SHOTS!!!

From my seat behind the Gonzaga bench...it looked like it was actually the assistant coach who was being very demonstrative towards the official closest to where Tyler was. Couldn't tell what was said because one guy behind me was about to pop an aneurysm yelling and booing at the guy.

This team just absolutely appalls me at this point. We could not defend any TSSAA basketball team at this point. And our point guard woes are just as bad as last year. In fact I would say that Bobby Maze is regressing at a more rapid rate than Ramar did.

And for the love of God Bruce...the rotation is atrocious. What I don't understand is how Bruce says the key to beating the zone is having guys that can hit the 3 ball...which is true. But why have guys like Prince who can not, and will not ever be a 3-point threat?

Tabb was at one point our best defender...now he has lost all body control, and can't stay with his man without leaving his feet or reaching in. He, along with majority of our team must believe it is a crime to move your feet on Defense.

And Negedu might be green behind the ears...but the guy will hustle, and will actually D-up. But for those that think all of a sudden this team is going to flip the switch is wrong. This team has shown no improvement from day to day, and will be going home early this year..
Posted via VolNation Mobile

what I saw last night...

Maze looks confused, scared or nervous. One late timeout I saw him taking deep breaths and looking very nervous.

The only player I really enjoy watching is Chism and as mentioned he still has mental lapses.

The 14 point run to start the game by Tatum was incredible. He should be very good, very soon.

I wish Pearl would give Hopson his walking papers. I specifically watched him last night and I have rarely seen a player act like that. Zero passion, zero heart and you can clearly tell he doesn't give a damn about the team.

Um JP, dunk the effing basketball and do nothing else.

Tyler plays hard and is a good college player but does not have an NBA game IMO. He still doesn't have a jump shot.

Loved the atmosphere last night!

100% Agree. JP Prince should be playing ping pong instead of basketball. His defensive effort is pathetic. And he has got to be the worst shooter I have ever seen, girl or guy.

according to Pearl, Prince still isn't 100%. the fact he got lit up like he did was inexcusable regardless. i'm not sure why they went away from Tatum. he passed on a lot shots i though he could have taken.

best environment i've ever witnessed at TBA. i came into a ticket about 45 minutes before game time and i'm glad i went.

Let's stop making excuses for Prince. He's awful.

I would rather the whole team play with one arm than see Prince on the floor ever again. He will be selling insurance in Memphis in just 2 short years, Tabb will probably share an office with him.

I'm starting to wonder if many Prince has photos of Pearl in a hotel with a goat or something. I can't come up with a better explanation for Prince getting significant minutes.

Is it just me or does this team as a whole seem to lack discipline?

No defense, poor shot selection, poor decision making.

Williams has been horrible, I actually though he would have taken a huge step forward. There are just too many poor personal performances to mention.

i thought he spent too much time on it, but i didn't think he was complaining.......i never heard him say that Gonzaga should have won or anything......in fact he did wind up saying it didn't matter.

i think his big thing was that the ref had told him something, and the play was contrary to what the ref said he saw, and how he interpreted the rule.

it was a valid gripe. and i think for all involved, were glad that the game wasn't decided on that call.

jmo.

And the exact call was made on the other end of the floor minutes earlier.

I'm starting to wonder if many Prince has photos of Pearl in a hotel with a goat or something. I can't come up with a better explanation for Prince getting significant minutes.

You may be on to something.:question:

in the first half and it did interfere with the shot.

No official in his right mind was going to call that to end the game when the shot had no prayer of even drawing iron.

what I saw last night...

Maze looks confused, scared or nervous. One late timeout I saw him taking deep breaths and looking very nervous.

The only player I really enjoy watching is Chism and as mentioned he still has mental lapses.

The 14 point run to start the game by Tatum was incredible. He should be very good, very soon.

I wish Pearl would give Hopson his walking papers. I specifically watched him last night and I have rarely seen a player act like that. Zero passion, zero heart and you can clearly tell he doesn't give a damn about the team.

Um JP, dunk the effing basketball and do nothing else.

Tyler plays hard and is a good college player but does not have an NBA game IMO. He still doesn't have a jump shot.

Loved the atmosphere last night!

I agree with every bit of this. :good!:

He's not awful. He's just a servicable player that should come off the bench and roam the baseline on the offensive end.
if a guy with his athletic ability is being treated like Bouldin treated Prince last night, he should never see the floor again.

in the first half and it did interfere with the shot.

No official in his right mind was going to call that to end the game when the shot had no prayer of even drawing iron.

Was it in the first half? And in the replay it didn't look like it interfered - I thought it was a 7-5 freak getting his paws in the net while we were clanking around the rim again.

And I agree - no way should the last shot have been called GT. I was just pointing out that we benefitted from a similar call earlier.

if a guy with his athletic ability is being treated like Bouldin treated Prince last night, he should never see the floor again.

I think Prince has a lot of talent...it just seems like he's lazy. Takes a lot of plays off.

yeah, and they called goal tending early in the OT as well.

i think for the time of the game, under 5 seconds to go in a tie game........

you don't make that call. the ball had zero chance of actually going in. agree that it was goal tending by the letter of the law, and had it been called, there's no reason for any UT fan to gripe......it was legit.

but that'd of been a terrible way to end the game.

the other side of that coin is that it was Tyler Smith making the infraction....you'd like to think he'd not put himself or the team in a position like that with the game on the line.....

anyway, it turned out, as bilas and dykes stated, not to matter. Gonzaga did what they did all night and it never showed more than in the OT period.

I think Prince has a lot of talent...it just seems like he's lazy. Takes a lot of plays off.
he's enormously gifted for basketball. Athletic, tall, obscenely long arms etc. However, he's not enormously gifted with brains or the effort gene. His hot dog gene also gets the best of him most nights.

Don't limit the abuse from Bouldin to just Prince. It was ridiculous - and honestly, Pearl carries alot of the responsibility.

With that said - Prince should have spent much more time on the bench last night.

Don't limit the abuse from Bouldin to just Prince. It was ridiculous - and honestly, Pearl carries alot of the responsibility.

With that said - Prince should have spent much more time on the bench last night.
i'm not limiting it, but that one stood out.

Actually, when Tyler switched onto Daye, he did a helluva job.

And, I don't know if this was discussed last night in the game thread, but did it annoy anyone else that Bilas continued, for minutes, to complain about the refs missing the call on Tyler Smith's hand going up through the net?

It's not that I think Bilas is anti-UT. It could have been a Gonzaga player's hand through the net, and it would have bothered me that he kept on complaining about it.

I get that the ref "technically" missed the call. But, that was final shot of the game, and it didn't have a prayer of going in the basket. Tyler's hand didn't touch the ball, or the rim, or alter the shot in any way. Why would anyone want the game to be decided on a call like that?
Thought the same thing. I understand that Bilas was going by the letter of the rule, but I think it's pretty silly for a goaltend to be called on a play like that where the ball wasn't close to going in. Yeah, his hand still went up into the net, and the rule says that's a goal tend, but come on now...

Pearl is going to have to find a rotation and stick with it. Woolridge needs to be playing only a few minutes a game, if that even. Not sure why Tatum hasn't started every game and then in some, he sits for long stretches. The guy can play and needs to be on the floor as much as possible, as does Hopson. I disagree with Hat on Tyler Smith. He takes too many bad shots. When he attacks the basket, he does well, but the little double pumps and "dipsy doodles" around the basket usually result in misses. Negedu needs to play more. Talking about HEART, the guy gives everything thing he has every play. He doesn't miss around the basket and makes all his free throws.

Most importantly, I could live with bad shots if they were playing good defense. Problem is, they haven't played a good defensive game in weeks, heck, all year. I believe Pearl will get it done, but he HAS to make some personnel PT decisions right now or we are all going to be disappointed for the rest of the season.

And, I don't know if this was discussed last night in the game thread, but did it annoy anyone else that Bilas continued, for minutes, to complain about the refs missing the call on Tyler Smith's hand going up through the net?

It's not that I think Bilas is anti-UT. It could have been a Gonzaga player's hand through the net, and it would have bothered me that he kept on complaining about it.

I get that the ref "technically" missed the call. But, that was final shot of the game, and it didn't have a prayer of going in the basket. Tyler's hand didn't touch the ball, or the rim, or alter the shot in any way. Why would anyone want the game to be decided on a call like that?
It annoyed me because if they're going to show that over and over, why not show all of the other terrible calls that those official throughout the game? Those guys were horrible.

VN Store

Back