The Secret Question

In my ongoing and ultimately futile endeavor, to rid the world of useless sports cliches, the "X factor" really deserves to die.

No coach keeps a great player completely under wraps to then unleash the "secret weapon" in the tournament. [NOTE: If Justine comes in and averages 20pts a game, leading the LVs to the NC, I will gladly eat this crow--fried, on a brioche bun with pickled red onions, fresh tomatoes and a garlic aioli.]

Sports commentators use the" X factor" to make it seem like they have some special insight into a situation where a non-star, role player has a bigger than expected impact on the game. Calling it an X-factor makes it sound more "strategic" than saying player X had a good of run games down the stretch. "Yes, I knew Jane Doe was going to an X-factor for this team...." As they say, hindsight is always 20-20.

So, if Tess hits 5 three 3s in a game, she is the X-factor; If Hollingshead goes for double-double, she is the X-factor; if either Striplin or Walker score in double digits, they are the X factor. Basically, any offensive production not coming from our big 2 is the LV's "X-factor."

I will say it again, the big systematic determinant of the LVs tournament success will be....drum roll....shooting, particularly 3 point shooting. In games where the Lady Vols hit 8 to 10 3s (On 40% or above shooting), they are really hard to beat.

Last season, this team could lock teams down defensively in ways that could cover for crappy shooting nights. This team can't.

Shot making is where they live or die. If Jordan W. or Jaz Powell were good 3 pt. shooters, this team would look different.

You can lock down Tess when she is the only outsider shooting threat on the floor, you can double Rickea, you can force Jordan into tough shots but the PG is always wide open outside the 3pt line. But when your PGs are shooting under 20%, opponents can live them open with little concern.

If the LVs only had another good three point shooter they could pair with Tess.......
Basketball Mythbusters Unite!. Did you see the post the other day debunking "you can't beat a good team 3 times in one season" myth? Statistically not true. We already took down "trap game" and magical run-stopping time out. Progress!

I'd like to see stats on "no one can replace a legend". I have lived experience with that and it appeared to be painfully true, but statistics may say different.

Reactions: madtownvol
They DO,,,A 5* bench rider....replace "could" with "would"
Pissott may be that player in the upcoming seasons. But she is not that right now. CKJH sees her at practice everyday. There is no reason why she wouldn't play Justine, if she showed the ability to be a difference maker in practice. It just doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: madtownvol

VN Store

Back