The Scapegoat

Originally posted by Fayettevol@Nov 8, 2005 11:07 AM
Yada. Yada. Yada.
Sound and fury signifying nothing.
Nattering nabobs.

I make a motion that we replace the entire coaching staff with everybody who has posted on this thread (except me) for the Vanderbilt game. Let's see what you can do. Neyland will be one giant Zanie's Comedy Club.
[snapback]185721[/snapback]​

Are you telling me we haven't had one laughable performance after another already? I don't think it could get much funnier.

Originally posted by gonygonygo@Nov 8, 2005 10:01 AM
CPF has been on the coaching staff for quite a long time now.  Wasn't he even OC at one point too?  Anyways, my point is that this offense is the same offense it has always been since he has been a part of this coaching staff.  Why would he change it now?  It worked in the past, yet RS gets the blame for bad play calling.  With RS stepping down, the play calling duties have transfered.  But the offense hasn't changed and wont change.  Sorry if I gave you the impression that I felt CPF was going to change the offense that he runs in the first place. 

What it boils down to is that none of us are in position to tell them what they are doing wrong since we are on the outside looking in.  They will handle things (RS stepping down for example) to get it all back in order.  But I never meant to imply that CPF was going to change the offense.  Just that the play calling would be different, somehow.  And it wasn't that big of a problem in the first place.

As for bashing kids, that is part of the business.  When you are in a high profile position in the public eye, that comes with the territory.  Look at President Bash, i mean Bush.  Look at professional  athletes, they are bashed all of the time by tv analysts.  Dont give me that crap that because these guys aren't professionals makes a good reason for them to be led by the hand.  Look at coach Bobby Knight and tell me he doesn't bash his players??  Verbally and Physically, lol.

Here's one lesson I have for you, since you requested some of my great football philosophy...

Scenario: 3rd down and 14 (would have been 3rd and 9, but Aaron Sears moved early causing us to go back 5 more yards).

We are on the road, the crowd is yelling at full capacity, and we are backed up on our own 20 yard line.  This is not the place to be aggressive where the risks severely outweigh the rewards of picking up those 14 yards.  Of the the things that can go wrong, I'm not going to play things in the hands of the defense. 

Here's what I'll do...  Probably some type of TE or FB screen, or draw play or air it out deep where only my WR can make the play or the ball will go out of bounds.  A HB draw would probably be a good play to run as well.

The difficult part is knowing what the defense will do.  They might show blitz, then back 8 or 9 into coverage.  With my QB not making smart reads and having happy feet, I'm not gonna have him make a 5 step drop and be Brett Farve.  Also, my receivers have not been doing great getting open against one on one coverage, so what makes me think they will suddenly spring wide open in double and triple coverage. 

Say EA drops back to pass and has nobody open...  He doesn't believe in throwing the ball away.  He could take a sack possibly fumbling, or force an errant throw (which is highly possible with his lack of accuracy) and have the pass intercepted.  This would put our tired defense in a bind.  The game is still close, and it's early in the game so no point in getting behind early.  Also, Ainge could get sacked and fumble or worse fling the ball to the defense to avoid a sack, which he is famous for.

I'd rather run something safe, punt and let the defense do it's thing since they are the strength of the team.  Then when the offense gets the ball back, we can try again to move down the field.  And since we aren't facing a huge deficit, we dont have to change our offense to constantly throwing (which isn't our strength).  We can run the normal offense and hopefully have more success. 

You may disagree with my philosophy, but I do think that's what RS or CPF is probably thinking when we get into that type of situation.  Aggressive is good when it's feasible.  With the way the offense is going, 3rd and 14 is not feasible right now.  I could see your point in being aggressive to provide a spark, but until we get better QB play, I will not change my opinion.

Lesson 2 coming later if you would like...  :lolabove:
[snapback]185693[/snapback]​

First oh great genius of football knowledge. You should not hold Bob Knight out as an example to me. How aobut Coack K or Wooden? I think they have had just a little more success than BK ever dreamed.
Second, pro atheletes and politicians are comparing apples to oranges as to them and college kids. And coaches don't bash or shouldn't bash. A coach getting on a player is not bashing. A fan who thinks they know everything bashing a player is not the same as a coach correcting/teaching a player.
Also please keep posting your "knowledge" about football. It is funny and I can always use a laugh.

Originally posted by VolBeef88@Nov 8, 2005 12:03 PM
First oh great genius of football knowledge. You should not hold Bob Knight out as an example to me. How aobut Coack K or Wooden? I think they have had just a little more success than BK ever dreamed.
Second, pro atheletes and politicians are comparing apples to oranges as to them and college kids. And coaches don't bash or shouldn't bash. A coach getting on a player is not bashing. A fan who thinks they know everything bashing a player is not the same as a coach correcting/teaching a player.
Also please keep posting your "knowledge" about football. It is funny and I can always use a laugh.
[snapback]185747[/snapback]​

So what would YOU do in that 3rd and 14 situation considering all the factors I mentioned??? Let's see how funny your solution is. :lol:

Originally posted by gonygonygo@Nov 7, 2005 12:51 PM
You all know who you are. 

75% of you wanted to put ALL the blame on Randy Sanders for all of the problems that UT has had this year.  You guys got your wish, and he has stepped down. 

What will be the excuse now for the team which looked NO different last week against Norte Dame than they have all year??

The people I'm talking about are the same people that wanted to believe that players should NEVER be held responsible for the amount of production (or lack of) with this team.  They feel that none of the position coaches should be held liable.  To them, EVERYTHING falls on throat of the OC.  Not even the head coach who has lost the discipline on the team deserves any blame. 

I really believe that some of you just speak from what you hear people around you say that have a half-ass knowledge of football.  Your observation of this season has been biased towards the hatred you have of one member of the coaching staff has made you blind to all of the other problems of the team.

Point is...  Randy Sanders stepped down, and we got the EXACT same result.  Tell me please what the excuse is going to be now.  I'm just curious...

:question:
[snapback]185028[/snapback]​

CRS and the demise cannot be repaired in 5 and 1/2 days. We need many new coaches and a STRICT disciplinary code with a near ZERO tolerance for F--- Ups!

Attachments

• bags.jpg
    bags.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
Originally posted by donsargegolf@Nov 8, 2005 12:52 PM
CRS and the demise cannot be repaired in 5 and 1/2 days. We need many new coaches and a STRICT disciplinary code with a near ZERO tolerance for F--- Ups!
[snapback]185768[/snapback]​

You speak as if Randy Sanders is the one in charge of the coaching staff. Like he brought them all here. Isn't that responsibility of the head coach?

Besides that, I agree about new coaches and strciter disciplinary codes.

Here's a point against my own beliefs. Florida State is ALWAYS a top 10 team every year, and they have among the worst thugs in the nation on that team. When they play, you see penalty after penalty. Yet, they always find ways to win. What do they have that we dont if our talent is as good as theirs?? Is their coaching that much better?

Originally posted by gonygonygo@Nov 8, 2005 3:46 PM
Here's a point against my own beliefs. 
[snapback]185795[/snapback]​

Mak sure you answer yourself, defending yourself, like you always do.

Oh, and also make sure you misquote yourself to make your agenda seem far superior. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Originally posted by gonygonygo@Nov 7, 2005 3:21 PM
Point is...  Randy Sanders stepped down, and we got the EXACT same result.  Tell me please what the excuse is going to be now.  I'm just curious...

:question:
[snapback]185028[/snapback]​

Point is you're completely clueless. :wacko:

"Randy Sanders announced last week that he was stepping down as Offensive Coordinator. That proved to be a distinction without a difference, in that all he merely did was move from the sidelines to the pressbox and is still calling the plays for the most part, although Fulmer has taken responsibility for them. Sanders called virtually every play at Notre Dame, even though there was talk of it being done by "committee". He merely communicated with the backup QB’s, Rick Clausen and Jim Bob Cooter, by headphones."

http://tinyurl.com/8qfrt

UT is a lot like ND was last year we had the talent but no one to teach us we can win.Charlie weis said the first thing he was going to do was teach the team that they know how to win .Aslo he put the right players in the right place ,and did some ass chewing no matter who it was

Originally posted by smokedog#3@Nov 7, 2005 4:27 PM
i've said it before and i'll say it again fulmer is to blame.
[snapback]185166[/snapback]​

Absolutely, he is responsible period, as any head coach is. The question is how far does the University go to hold him accountable.

First, perhaps you haven't been reading--but plenty of criticism is being heaped on Fulmer and position coaches, in addition to Sanders, and rightly so. Fulmer is responsible for this mess ultimately--and let's remember that special teams have cost UT two games this year--and been terribly in just about every game--and I blame Fulmer for that too. The WR coach gets pilliored daily--so you're wrong to say that RS is the only one who's been blamed. Not even close.

They need to be deprogrammed first thing. Wipe that gray matter clean and start over with the basics, fundamentals or whatever you want to call it. Someone else mentioned someone with a military background. We need a drill sergeant or instructor to come on board to break them down and then the new staff build them back up.

randy is still there. but thats beside the point. i stated that the problem is both sanders AND the players. as for right now, until there is an increase in discipline, players will contunue to make mistakes. this is both sanders and fulmer's fault. this may contunue to be an issue until a good offensive coordinator comes to ut next year.

Originally posted by duckman398686@Nov 9, 2005 12:09 AM
randy is still there. but thats beside the point. i stated that the problem is both sanders AND the players. as for right now, until there is an increase in discipline, players will contunue to make mistakes. this is both sanders and fulmer's fault. this may contunue to be an issue until a good offensive coordinator comes to ut next year.
[snapback]186294[/snapback]​

Problem is some people think it is ONLY Sanders.

Originally posted by blurbman@Nov 8, 2005 11:35 PM
First, perhaps you haven't been reading--but plenty of criticism is being heaped on Fulmer and position coaches, in addition to Sanders, and rightly so. Fulmer is responsible for this mess ultimately--and let's remember that special teams have cost UT two games this year--and been terribly in just about every game--and I blame Fulmer for that too. The WR coach gets pilliored daily--so you're wrong to say that RS is the only one who's been blamed. Not even close.
[snapback]186283[/snapback]​

This thread doesn't apply to you. It applies to the "I hate RS" people. They know who they are. They refuse to blame anyone else on the coaching staff, or the players.

Originally posted by gonygonygo@Nov 9, 2005 6:30 AM
This thread doesn't apply to you.  It applies to the "I hate RS" people.  They know who they are.  They refuse to blame anyone else on the coaching staff, or the players.
[snapback]186311[/snapback]​

I cant blame a position coach for the lack of effort a WR gives as we seen against ND. :nono:

Originally posted by gonygonygo@Nov 9, 2005 6:29 AM
Problem is some people think it is ONLY Sanders.
[snapback]186309[/snapback]​

Can you show me one post on here where someone stated that RS is the ONLY one to blame? Can you show me where anyone has stated that CPF is not responsible? If it is on here I missed it and would appreciate seeing it. Thanks in advance.

He's the only member of the "Randy Sanders Sits At The Left Hand of the Father Club". He thinks anyone who wanted Sanders gone has thrown the entire blame on him and no one or nothing else. I suspect he's from Morristown or his last name is Sanders as well. All he harps on is trashing anyone as some vast "I hate Sanders" group and misquoting and misunderstanding anyone who disagrees with him.

Before the USC game, and after the ND game, i have changed my tune a bit...

I, though, have never wanted Randy Sanders on a plate. I did not necessarily think this was a coaching issue from a play calling or game plan standpoint.

In every game this year, the plays have been called, we have been aggressive in play calling, and the game plan against Bama in particular was outstanding. In each game, there is one constant, we don't execute worth a crap.

question that has been naggin all of us all season is, is it the coaches or players? well, it is both. the coaches have to develop the talent to execute the plan, which we have failed miserably at this year, but one could argue this is an area that has been lacking for a while now. Then, there is the other part. the players. At some point, they have to bring something to the table. We are 10 weeks in to this season, with two off weeks. That's 10 practice weeks. 10 weeks of film review. 10 weeks of planning. 10 weeks of knowing what the areas of improvment need to be. the players know what is being done, and not being done out there. At some point, they too have to take some personal responsibility for thier own work habits and correcting thier errors.

It's a two way street here, but unfortunately, we are on a one way dead end ally this year.

Truth is it's all of thier faults. coaches did a terrible job of getting this team ready, they did a terrible job in the off season by not making a decision on the qb and getting him reps with the ones. They did a terrible job of not instilling discipline in this team. Players have done a terrible job of reading too much about themselves. they have done a terrible job of not having any personal accountability for this mess. they have done a terrible job of not making a deliberate effort to work out these issues on their own, for a team with so much leadership.

When i hear Rick Clausen telling the fans what they need to do etc...and i hear Eric Ainge going on and on about his abilities in pre season interviews....this was a perfect set up, when you go back and look, hindsight being what it si, to a bad season.

the coaches and players and fans all beleived the hype, and did nothing to actually take care of business.

Now having said all of that, i do think change is in order, and while i feel bad for Sanders, because this isn't his burden to carry solely, the change if made correctly, should be a good thing. And there are position coaches that will also feel the brunt at the season's end as well, also welcome change.

for instance: We have a full time TE coach, but not a full time Special Teams coach? does that make sense? NO. Change is coming, don't worry.

Originally posted by gonygonygo@Nov 9, 2005 9:00 AM
This thread doesn't apply to you.  It applies to the "I hate RS" people.  They know who they are.  They refuse to blame anyone else on the coaching staff, or the players.
[snapback]186311[/snapback]​

Mrs. Sanders, don't you think you should be packing instead of posting? :crazy:

I find it curious that you accuse fans of not understanding the game of football yet think that the "resignation" of an OC 8 games into the season could have any affect. The man just changed his spot on the feild as far as I could see(better veiw, headphones,fewer cameras). So, let me get this right. You, oh knowlegeable one, would expect that the distraction of a resignation, a HORRIBLE season on ALL levels, SAME coaches-SAME postions, no NEW OC, same plays, same play-callers, opponent being the most upswinging program in the country on their most heralded home feild in the country, and the same lack of discipline and FIRE from the week before....should have changed the outcome against Notre Dame or all the fans who think that UT has not played to its' potential on offense since Cut left are idiots? Well, I defer to your grasp of the game then...what were we all thinking...guess we look like REAL dumb-asses now.
Most of the people that I know ACROSS the country that are fans of programs in our conference and out have been laughing at the production-to-talent ratio at UT for years and THAT is coaching! I have heard few people say that they think the RS resignation will have any effect. It is much deeper than that and most feel RS fell on his sword for CPF and the other coaches. As a matter of fact, the teams with-in the SEC would LOVE to have this entire staff stay intact...trust me on that one. That one phase of the team needs fixing, but, excuse me if I step on your more knowlegeble toes, it ain't stopping there and it can't happen that fast!!!!

Originally posted by gonygonygo@Nov 7, 2005 1:33 PM
I agree.  Talent-wise, these players have potential; however, "potential" doesn't make a good player or good team.
[snapback]185059[/snapback]​

COACHING DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by gonygonygo@Nov 8, 2005 10:01 AM
CPF has been on the coaching staff for quite a long time now.  Wasn't he even OC at one point too?  Anyways, my point is that this offense is the same offense it has always been since he has been a part of this coaching staff.  Why would he change it now?  It worked in the past, yet RS gets the blame for bad play calling.  With RS stepping down, the play calling duties have transfered.  But the offense hasn't changed and wont change.  Sorry if I gave you the impression that I felt CPF was going to change the offense that he runs in the first place. 

What it boils down to is that none of us are in position to tell them what they are doing wrong since we are on the outside looking in.  They will handle things (RS stepping down for example) to get it all back in order.  But I never meant to imply that CPF was going to change the offense.  Just that the play calling would be different, somehow.  And it wasn't that big of a problem in the first place.

As for bashing kids, that is part of the business.  When you are in a high profile position in the public eye, that comes with the territory.  Look at President Bash, i mean Bush.  Look at professional  athletes, they are bashed all of the time by tv analysts.  Dont give me that crap that because these guys aren't professionals makes a good reason for them to be led by the hand.  Look at coach Bobby Knight and tell me he doesn't bash his players??  Verbally and Physically, lol.

Here's one lesson I have for you, since you requested some of my great football philosophy...

Scenario: 3rd down and 14 (would have been 3rd and 9, but Aaron Sears moved early causing us to go back 5 more yards).

We are on the road, the crowd is yelling at full capacity, and we are backed up on our own 20 yard line.  This is not the place to be aggressive where the risks severely outweigh the rewards of picking up those 14 yards.  Of the the things that can go wrong, I'm not going to play things in the hands of the defense. 

Here's what I'll do...  Probably some type of TE or FB screen, or draw play or air it out deep where only my WR can make the play or the ball will go out of bounds.  A HB draw would probably be a good play to run as well.

The difficult part is knowing what the defense will do.  They might show blitz, then back 8 or 9 into coverage.  With my QB not making smart reads and having happy feet, I'm not gonna have him make a 5 step drop and be Brett Farve.  Also, my receivers have not been doing great getting open against one on one coverage, so what makes me think they will suddenly spring wide open in double and triple coverage. 

Say EA drops back to pass and has nobody open...  He doesn't believe in throwing the ball away.  He could take a sack possibly fumbling, or force an errant throw (which is highly possible with his lack of accuracy) and have the pass intercepted.  This would put our tired defense in a bind.  The game is still close, and it's early in the game so no point in getting behind early.  Also, Ainge could get sacked and fumble or worse fling the ball to the defense to avoid a sack, which he is famous for.

I'd rather run something safe, punt and let the defense do it's thing since they are the strength of the team.  Then when the offense gets the ball back, we can try again to move down the field.  And since we aren't facing a huge deficit, we dont have to change our offense to constantly throwing (which isn't our strength).  We can run the normal offense and hopefully have more success. 

You may disagree with my philosophy, but I do think that's what RS or CPF is probably thinking when we get into that type of situation.  Aggressive is good when it's feasible.  With the way the offense is going, 3rd and 14 is not feasible right now.  I could see your point in being aggressive to provide a spark, but until we get better QB play, I will not change my opinion.

Lesson 2 coming later if you would like...  :lolabove:
[snapback]185693[/snapback]​

Hey....a Bush hater too!! That explaines alot. Log back on when you get out-off school.

Originally posted by volbreaker@Nov 9, 2005 12:04 PM
Hey....a Bush hater too!! That explaines alot. Log back on when you get out-off school.
[snapback]186413[/snapback]​

so you disagree with my 3rd and 14 call?

Originally posted by volbreaker@Nov 9, 2005 12:04 PM
[snapback]186413[/snapback]​

No, Bush needs to quit trying to please everybody with being politically correct (i.e. when it comes to the islamic terrorists we are battling right now; appointing people to office to please opposite party members).

He needs to cut the damn spending!!

Wasting our tax dollars in a lot of ways. He's not the greatest, nor the worst President we've ever had.

VN Store

Back