The Runner's thread

Only got 11 miles in this weekend. 8 miles at Lakeshore at Saturday, and 3 miles at the gym on Sunday. I need to be doing at least 2x the mileage if I'm going to be ready for the marathon in a month.

This weather has not been cooperating with my training schedule unfortunately. I just hate running in bad weather because of the increased possibility for injury, but I'm not going to have much of a choice since it's going to rain all this week. Ideally, I'd like to log 30-40 miles this week.

Gucci, I use Balaga socks for roads running and cep for trails. May want to give some a try. I used to think people were crazy to spend 10 dollars on a pair of socks, not anymore.
I only wear Balega blister resist. They last forever so it offsets the $12 per pair cost

I might get hotspots from extremely long runs but that’s about it. I had one blister after Bourbon Chase, but I didn’t do anything between runs to protect them honestly. I blame myself.

Can’t speak for toes, I’ve had one black toenail that I lost as the new one came in, ever lost one straight up or had bloody ones.

Last edited:
I only wear Balega blister resist. They last forever so it offsets the $12 per pair cost

I might get hotspots from extremely long runs but that’s about it. I had one blister after Bourbon Chase, but I didn’t do anything between runs to protect them honestly. I blame myself.

Can’t speak for toes, I’ve had one black toenail that I lost as the new one came in, ever lost one straight up or had bloody ones.
I've had some black toe nails. But no blisters or hotspots, it's crazy. Maybe all those years in Marine infantry paid off.
The socks are really good. I use them on all road runs. On trails I use cep since the dry faster.

20 mile run completed on Sunday. If it wasn't for the fact that the arch of my right foot was sore from the sprints and interval work I had been doing previously, I could have gone for another 10 or 15 miles before I hit the wall. This week I'm going to do some light work, with the long run being 10 or 12 miles on Sunday. I'll have 1 more 20+ mile run before March 17th which is the date of the marathon.

Reactions: volfannbama
I'm hoping that some of the more experienced runners might be able to help me out with a question I have about training in the days prior to a marathon. How much mileage are you all clocking in the 2 weeks before the race, and how much tapering of your mileage do you do?

I'm hoping that some of the more experienced runners might be able to help me out with a question I have about training in the days prior to a marathon. How much mileage are you all clocking in the 2 weeks before the race, and how much tapering of your mileage do you do?

For a half, I don’t taper at all. I’ll run 10-11 miles the weekend prior. For a full, most I’ve ever logged in a non event was 18. I just signed up for Marine Corps and I’m hoping to get to 20-22. Last two weeks are taper though. I’ll do two weekends at only like 12 miles.

I usually peak out with a 20 miler 21 days from the Marathon. From there ill do soemthing like
2 weeks out 5,7,6, 10
1 weeks out 7,6,6, 8
Week of 5,4,5 2 mile walk 2 days before , rest 26.2.
Works okay for me.

For a half, I don’t taper at all. I’ll run 10-11 miles the weekend prior. For a full, most I’ve ever logged in a non event was 18. I just signed up for Marine Corps and I’m hoping to get to 20-22. Last two weeks are taper though. I’ll do two weekends at only like 12 miles.
Enjoy, I did that one last year.
And yeah, no taper for a half here either.

I appreciate the feedback on the tapering. I clocked 4 miles yesterday, really just trying to find my stride. I'll probably be around 20-30 miles for this week by the time it's all said and done, and somewhere around 10-15 the week prior to the race.

I’ll do one day of speed work or hill repeats during training typically. I avoid those the last two weeks as well.

The MCM is my backyard. It’ll be my third MCM. A very fun race

Reactions: GoVolsDR
Cape Cod Ragnar in May. Any tips for a newbie?
12 man team or ultra?

Either way, plan accordingly. Work with the group for packing things. Anything that can be shared, share it. Space becomes a premium in the vans quickly. Stretch between legs. Figure out a plan to eat. Sounds dumb, but it’s always my biggest issue. I never feel that hungry, then suddenly I’m running another 7 miler and I’ve not really eaten in a day.

Biggest thing is be organized. A race bible becomes your life!

And have fun! Just enjoy the whole moment! I love relays more than individual runs now

Cape Cod Ragnar in May. Any tips for a newbie?
Have a blast. I did one a few years ago. Nothing to it really. It's weird to run, sit in a van all day, run at night then again early the next morning. But its a blast.

Only bad part was we had an arcadia for 6 people so that sucked. I wanted to punch everyone I saw in a mercedes (sprinter I think). Rent one it's worth every cent. I saw one where they built a simple shelf in the back. There bags on the floor and three on the shelf.....genius.

I'm ready to start running again. I think the last time I did was October. Of course I probably won't be running until June-July, and that'll probably be more jogging than anything.

Reactions: volfannbama
12 man team or ultra?

Either way, plan accordingly. Work with the group for packing things. Anything that can be shared, share it. Space becomes a premium in the vans quickly. Stretch between legs. Figure out a plan to eat. Sounds dumb, but it’s always my biggest issue. I never feel that hungry, then suddenly I’m running another 7 miler and I’ve not really eaten in a day.

Biggest thing is be organized. A race bible becomes your life!

And have fun! Just enjoy the whole moment! I love relays more than individual runs now

12 man!

15.5 trail run this weekend in 3:55.....though I was gonna have a pretty good time but the last 1.5 changed that, took me 56 minutes. About 1000 foot elevation change

Official half marathon time is 1:50:54 gun, 1:50:15 chip 8:25 min/mile. I know it's nothing special, but I'm pretty stoked I had sub 8:30 pace.

Reactions: TN404

VN Store

Back