The Runner's thread

What’s a good strategy for running hilly races? I’m thinking about just waking them
I did an ultra this weekend, very hilly course..im a moderately experienced distance runner bit was new to this type of course. When I was reading about the race one thing I read that.stuck out....there are two types of people that run the hills, elites and idiots.

What’s a good strategy for running hilly races? I’m thinking about just waking them

Interval training will help improve your conditioning so that you can exert maximum force when you're running uphills. You'll definitely want incorporate uphill running in your training as well. Make sure that you have some cushioned shoes with plenty of support, because the downhill running impact can be hard on your bones and joints. I'd also recommend incorporating weightlifting like squats (front and back), deadlifts, and power cleans to build explosive strength that will allow you to exert maximum force in your running and conquer the hills.

As for strategy during the race, run the hills with your normal form and stride as much as possible. Depending on how steep the hill is, you'll probably need to shorten your stride. Have a slight forward lean running into the hill, but don't bend at the waist.

The real trick is knowing how to handle the downhills. When you're going downhill, that's your opportunity to rest a little bit and catch your breath. Lengthen your stride just a little bit, you'll have the downhill momentum to carry you down. A huge mistake people make running downhill is leaning back - that will slow you down and put lots of force on your points.

As you get back into running on the flat part of the course, that's when you can return to your normal stride and running form.

best advice for hilly races?

Run hills! Seriously though, if you don't train for the hills, you'll never be ready for them. You can be marathon ready, but struggle on a hilly half if you're not ready for hills. Hill repeats or stairs are a great substitute for a speed work training session.

GoVolsDR is right on the form. Another thing I do on some down hills is drop my arms. It's a chance to rest them and loosen them back up without losing your pace.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
Interval training will help improve your conditioning so that you can exert maximum force when you're running uphills. You'll definitely want incorporate uphill running in your training as well. Make sure that you have some cushioned shoes with plenty of support, because the downhill running impact can be hard on your bones and joints. I'd also recommend incorporating weightlifting like squats (front and back), deadlifts, and power cleans to build explosive strength that will allow you to exert maximum force in your running and conquer the hills.

As for strategy during the race, run the hills with your normal form and stride as much as possible. Depending on how steep the hill is, you'll probably need to shorten your stride. Have a slight forward lean running into the hill, but don't bend at the waist.

The real trick is knowing how to handle the downhills. When you're going downhill, that's your opportunity to rest a little bit and catch your breath. Lengthen your stride just a little bit, you'll have the downhill momentum to carry you down. A huge mistake people make running downhill is leaning back - that will slow you down and put lots of force on your points.

As you get back into running on the flat part of the course, that's when you can return to your normal stride and running form.
Thats solid advice. All depends on your experience/ training level. If you have several weeks to prep, I would try to hit hills at least twice a week and try to to throw in some distance after big hills to see how it effects you.

Thats solid advice. All depends on your experience/ training level. If you have several weeks to prep, I would try to hit hills at least twice a week and try to to throw in some distance after big hills to see how it effects you.
Next week! I still think my plan is to just walk the hills. Hard to find hills in the desert. Luckily it’s only a 10k but I’ve never really ran until the last few weeks. Pretty impressive how fast you can make progress.

Reactions: volfannbama

My husband has done several hilly marathons. His advice is to slow down on the ascent and focus on your breathing to distract if necessary. If you feel pain or tightness in your shins, walk. On the downhill, let loose and coast. Hold your arms at your sides and try not to hold them at the usual 90 degree angle. This will help your heart rate and allow you to recover. Also, if you can, try to get in the middle of a pack of runners....this will help regulate your pace if you’re after a time goal. If the hills are wide open and it’s windy, it will also help block the wind and conserve energy.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
Okay ran my first ever run. 10k in Sedona 500 elevation gain. 1:11 with about ten runs prior. I feel good about it. Think I’m going to shoot for a half in November.
You should have no problem with a half given that time. Good job and good luck. Im hoping to get my endurance back in a couple weeks after the ultra this past weekend.
If you want a good milage training guide, check out marathonrookie.com.

Another thing. I’ve only had it happened when running 5+ miles. My middle toe is bloody afterwards. Is this runners toe?
It is coming from the toe nail? I dont know any of the actual medical stuff behind it, but if you are getting into long distance, you will lose some toenails, no idea why.
But I think its odd to happen at a short distance. Theres a dr. on here that might know, cant remember the handle.

It is coming from the toe nail? I dont know any of the actual medical stuff behind it, but if you are getting into long distance, you will lose some toenails, no idea why.
But I think its odd to happen at a short distance. Theres a dr. on here that might know, cant remember the handle.
Looks like the toenail for sure.

Logged 24 miles between Saturday and Sunday. Didn't even bother to time myself, as I'm just now ramping up my long distance runs. Atlanta and Knoxville marathons are scheduled for 6-7 weeks from now, respectively. Would like to run either of those marathons, provided business obligations don't have me somewhere else.

Another thing. I’ve only had it happened when running 5+ miles. My middle toe is bloody afterwards. Is this runners toe?

Is your middle toe longer than the ones around it? Sometimes my toes overlap when running and it leads to black toenails. If you have good fitting shoes, then wrapping it may be your best option.

Is your middle toe longer than the ones around it? Sometimes my toes overlap when running and it leads to black toenails. If you have good fitting shoes, then wrapping it may be your best option.
It's not longer than the other ones. Not sure what's up. It's only happened when I do longer runs.

Bleeding under and losing toenails are really common for long distance runners. It's the repetitive trauma. Make sure you have room in the toe box, consider taping/padding the affected toe, and maybe even try double socks. Honestly, losing a nail(s) shouldn't affect your performance.

Bumping this thread - Only logged about 10 miles this past weekend. This rain has really put me behind my mileage schedule. Doesn't look like we're going to have any letup today, so I'll be doing more interval work and sprints indoors.

One other thing, I went and bought a couple pairs of Balega socks at the Runners Market in Bearden. High quality, and much better for running than the general purpose Adidas athletic socks I've used in the past.

Balega and feetures are the only socks I’ll wear when running. And I never thought I’d rave about socks that pricey but they are worth it.

I haven’t run much the past week. The kids shared an awful cold with me which has since turned into bronchitis. I’m hoping to start back by Friday but it looks like a rainy week. We shall see.

My joints have been absolutely f***ed for the past 2 weeks. Terrible pain in my hips and lower back to start out with, logged a few miles after it let up a little, and now my knees are killing me. Just praying I can get back to even just light training before the CHKM half marathon on March 31.

My joints have been absolutely f***ed for the past 2 weeks. Terrible pain in my hips and lower back to start out with, logged a few miles after it let up a little, and now my knees are killing me. Just praying I can get back to even just light training before the CHKM half marathon on March 31.
Have you tried a deep tissue massage before?

Try some collagen protein and some turmeric. They come in a forms of stuff. There is this stuff called golden milk with tumeric in it, good stuff.

VN Store

Back