The Runner's thread

Get a towel and strech it every single day. You can google several stretches, doing them with a towel helps get a better stretch.
Those little massage / foam rollers help too, I use them all the time.
Ice and compression like cep socks help too.
Lastly watch your mileage and dont increase too much each week.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. Im 25 days from an ultra marathon and took 54 minutes off my marathon time from March to Oct last year.
I think its achilles tendinitis. Any experience with it?

I think its achilles tendinitis. Any experience with it?
Not personally. If you have a fleet feet nearby, go in and get a foot scan. They csn put you in proper shoes that may help. And a good insole like super feet. Not certain that it would help, but its helped several people I know that have pain while running.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
Not personally. If you have a fleet feet nearby, go in and get a foot scan. They csn put you in proper shoes that may help. And a good insole like super feet. Not certain that it would help, but its helped several people I know that have pain while running.
They put me in these sweet shoes last year. Looking at Achilles support wraps as well

Brooks Running

Runners! I need help. I'm prepping for a 10k but may have fudged myself up a few weeks ago. I made a dumb move and went from virtually no real running to running a 5k just to see if I could. I did it but my ankle joint and Achilles area has been bothering me ever since. Anyone know what this could be?
I did the same when I started training a while ago. Just too much too fast. My Achilles healed after I RICE'd it for about 3 days and eased back in to training. I also spent more time stretching my calves since, and no problems since then. Also, when you ease back in, make your strides a little shorter than usual.

Reactions: volfannbama
Runners! I need help. I'm prepping for a 10k but may have fudged myself up a few weeks ago. I made a dumb move and went from virtually no real running to running a 5k just to see if I could. I did it but my ankle joint and Achilles area has been bothering me ever since. Anyone know what this could be?

My soleus gets angry with me from time to time and I feel it where you’re describing. Do you run more on your toes/midfoot?

Stretching it isn’t hard, but it’s hard to describe. Put the toes of one foot in line with the heel of another and “crouch” down. You may have to slightly tweak this a bit, but you should feel a distinct stretch in the area you’re describing. Also make sure you have the right shoes.

Just did my longest session. 40 minutes of 3 minutes running 2 minutes walking. Also got an Achilles support band which actually felt good. The running is getting easier each week.

Foot Rocker. Durable Calf Stretcher Device for Achillies Tendonitis. Improve Plantar Fasciitis, Calf Flexibility, Ankle Mobility. Feet and Shin Splint Relief. Great for Physical Therapy, Athletes, Phy

I swear by this since tearing my calf 3-4 years ago

I got achilles tendonitis In Fall 2017 after training in some Altra zero-drop shoes for a half marathon. Feel it every morning when I first get up or if I@‘ve been sitting for a long time. I have to stretch my calves A LOT because they’re really tight and a sports orthopedist got me a splint to wear at night that keeps my ankle at a 90 degree angle so the achilles isn’t shortened all night while laying down.

I’ve been told as long as the pain isn’t altering your gait it’s okay to run on. Whenever I do run, any pain goes away after a few minutes.

I just finished what was probably the best run of my life (not that it's anything to write home about). 10.5 miles at 8:28mins/mile. I'm training for the CHKM half marathon on March 31. I feel accomplished, and I also feel like my legs may fall off lol.

I just finished what was probably the best run of my life (not that it's anything to write home about). 10.5 miles at 8:28mins/mile. I'm training for the CHKM half marathon on March 31. I feel accomplished, and I also feel like my legs may fall off lol.
Thats a good pace. What half is that? Looking for one to use to prep for St Jude Nashville in April?

I did 16 today to prep for a trail ultra in two weeks. Really worried about meeting the pace time hacks. This is my first ultra and first trail run.....probably not the best decision ive wvwr made.

Thats a good pace. What half is that? Looking for one to use to prep for St Jude Nashville in April?

I did 16 today to prep for a trail ultra in two weeks. Really worried about meeting the pace time hacks. This is my first ultra and first trail run.....probably not the best decision ive wvwr made.
It's the big one in Knoxville. Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon.

Dang dude! Sounds like you're up for a really intense one. Best of luck to you!

I've gone from getting my body used to longer runs, and I'm now focusing on interval training, sprints, and 5ks. I've been running 1 mile anywhere about 6:00-6:30. It's my goal to get my 1 mile run back to around and preferably under the 5:00 mark I was at in college. Likewise, it's my goal to get back to my personal best of a sub 16:00 5k. It's all in an effort to prepare me for a marathon this year.

Anyone else put their name in for the NYC marathon lottery? I did last year and didn’t get in. I figure after my knee surgeries, I’ve got one more marathon left so I’d better go big or stay home.

I've gone from getting my body used to longer runs, and I'm now focusing on interval training, sprints, and 5ks. I've been running 1 mile anywhere about 6:00-6:30. It's my goal to get my 1 mile run back to around and preferably under the 5:00 mark I was at in college. Likewise, it's my goal to get back to my personal best of a sub 16:00 5k. It's all in an effort to prepare me for a marathon this year.
Dang thats fast. Doubt ill ever see those days again. Im at a 8:20 5k pace hoping to get to 7:20 pace. Can hold a 9:30 for about 17-18, hoping to get a full 26.2 at that pace by Dec of this year.

Good luck..

Anyone else put their name in for the NYC marathon lottery? I did last year and didn’t get in. I figure after my knee surgeries, I’ve got one more marathon left so I’d better go big or stay home.
Have a buddy that got in and deferred to this year. Good luck, id love to one day.

Speedy Gonzales! I could maybe belt out one 6:30 mile, but 7:15 5k pace is about as quick as my body seems able to get to.

Educate me though: why does the super-fast, short training prepare one for a marathon?

Speedy Gonzales! I could maybe belt out one 6:30 mile, but 7:15 5k pace is about as quick as my body seems able to get to.

Educate me though: why does the super-fast, short training prepare one for a marathon?
To me, it all helps but there is no substitute for the milage before one..

This is only my anecdotal experience, but I've had much better results from my training when I incorporate both LISS and HIIT cardio for long distance running. Before I incorporated sprints, mile runs, and 5ks interval runs, I noticed that my progress and times would stall. My theory is that the interval training focuses more on the fast twitch muscle fibers activation, along with improving my VO2 max. It's just overall a more balanced approach to training, in the run up to a long distance running event.

I totally concur that it's the long runs that prepare the body for endurance events like a marathon. I also think that alternating your runs keeps your mind fresh, and you don't get used too much to one specific type of training. Over the next couple of weeks I'll continue with the intervals, before I ramp up my training to consist of longer and longer runs starting in early February. I'm definitely interested to see how I'm feeling during these long runs.

Massage and stretch out your calves as well. I have feet and achilles tightness and calf stretches and foot stretches are the only relief I can get.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
Well now it'll be March 1st. The doc had a more 'urgent' patient needing surgery. She's gone all of February which is why I have to wait that long. Sucks, because that would have been 5 weeks towards recovery. Oh well

VN Store

Back