The roster is finally set!!

That is one BIG team. Everyone but Renne is 6' tall or more.

One question. There are four players listed as a center and the tallest player, Saunders is listed as a Forward/Center. How do you find minutes for all of them?

Assault in waves.

That seemed to be the approach with her former school. I’m interested to see what a Kellie run team looks like. Something tells me we’ll be surprised.

A better coached, improved, matured, healthier core of the returning players with the new additions gets us a better record than last year.

I’m more concerned with pg play than post tbh.

One question. There are four players listed as a center and the tallest player, Saunders is listed as a Forward/Center. How do you find minutes for all of them?
Brown and Kushkituah will likely start at PF and C, with McCoy and Key as primary backups for both spots. Saunders will probably play sparingly and viewed as a project for future years (might be better off redshirting). Harris will be a practice player who won't see much game time.

Brown and Kushkituah will likely start at PF and C, with McCoy and Key as primary backups for both spots. Saunders will probably play sparingly and viewed as a project for future years (might be better off redshirting). Harris will be a practice player who won't see much game time.
Thanks. Makes sense that a couple of the post players wouldn’t see much playing time next year. How is Browns injury recovery going?

Thanks. Makes sense that a couple of the post players wouldn’t see much playing time next year. How is Browns injury recovery going?
I presume it's going fine. Haven't heard anything suggesting she's not on schedule.

I generally expect very little from freshmen posts. If they can give 10-12 quality minutes in a backup role, I'm happy. Worse case scenario is that there is an injury and they have to play more, but at least there's a body on the bench. Having an extra 3 of them is even better. Even if they have their growing pains, that's 15 extra fouls to give.

I agree with you one everything but I think Harris see's more minutes because she will finally be encourage to shoot that outside shot that she has (but was told often not to take). I think Key and Saunders are brought along slowly so that they can adjust to the college game. Harris minutes may diminish later in the season as Key and Saunders get used to the college game but in the beginning I think she plays more.

That seemed to be the approach with her former school. I’m interested to see what a Kellie run team looks like. Something tells me we’ll be surprised.

A better coached, improved, matured, healthier core of the returning players with the new additions gets us a better record than last year.

I’m more concerned with pg play than post tbh.

Do you think the talent on the team this season is better that last year’s roster?

I’m of the mind that just like freshmen take time too acclimate to college basketball and a new system, a new coach will have some of the same issues. There will be growing pains.

If they are all on the same page by March, they should be a better team than last year. A head in the game Davis could be close to an AA by then. Lots of potential.

I agree with you one everything but I think Harris see's more minutes because she will finally be encourage to shoot that outside shot that she has (but was told often not to take). I think Key and Saunders are brought along slowly so that they can adjust to the college game. Harris minutes may diminish later in the season as Key and Saunders get used to the college game but in the beginning I think she plays more.

I'm one of the founding members of the "Free Kamara!" club. I hope she plays more. Even if she just rebounds, plays defense, and sets screens.

Back when Nina Davis was still playing for Baylor, they had that season where she was port of a post rotation that included her, Brown, Cox, Mompremier, and Cave. They were blowing teams out of the water that Cave was getting a lot of minutes. I think if Tennessee gets to the point that they stop playing down to the level of their competition, then we'll be seeing Harris play more, and give Key/Saunders chance to get court time. I don't want to see the starters forced to play 35 min against the likes of Tennessee State or whoever.

Do you think the talent on the team this season is better that last year’s roster?

I’m of the mind that just like freshmen take time too acclimate to college basketball and a new system, a new coach will have some of the same issues. There will be growing pains.

If they are all on the same page by March, they should be a better team than last year. A head in the game Davis could be close to an AA by then. Lots of potential.

I think the talent on the team was much better last year. IMO, the incoming players do not overcome the loss of Westbrook, Jackson, Collins and Green. I think Jordan has the potential to be as good as Evina was by year's end, hopefully even better. But the incoming post game will be a step down, unless Kushkituah shows great improvement and Key comes out of the gate quickly.

Having said that, they may not be as talented, but they will be a better team. That's how little I regarded Holly's "coaching" ability. Assuming Holly hasn't already ruined the players beyond repair with her utter incompetence, Kellie should be able to salvage the pieces. Maybe she won't beat the elite teams, but she won't be losing to Alabama for the 7th time in the row and fighting to get into the NCAAT as a double digit seed. I agree that Davis has the potential to be a very good player with national recognition. I hope her lackluster play and downtrodden demeanor was just her way of showing her frustration with Holly, and that a new coach will energize her game.

A few minutes at a time.... Sorry for the trite statement, but don't you expect that by game time the cream will be rising to the top? As to playing time, game situations (fouls injuries, etc.) will dictate who plays the most minutes beyond the gals that have risen to the top of the heap to become starters.

A few minutes at a time.... Sorry for the trite statement, but don't you expect that by game time the cream will be rising to the top? As to playing time, game situations (fouls injuries, etc.) will dictate who plays the most minutes beyond the gals that have risen to the top of the heap to become starters.

I have no idea if the cream will rise to the top. I guess you are saying that of the 5 players listed as centers a couple will earn the bulk of the 40 minutes per game.

Who do you think that will be?!

Reactions: savannahfan

I started a new patient a few weeks ago that plays college ball; she was 6'0". I said, " I guess the roster says 6'2". She was replied, "you're right." So take it with a grain of salt.

I think the talent on the team was much better last year. IMO, the incoming players do not overcome the loss of Westbrook, Jackson, Collins and Green. I think Jordan has the potential to be as good as Evina was by year's end, hopefully even better. But the incoming post game will be a step down, unless Kushkituah shows great improvement and Key comes out of the gate quickly.

Having said that, they may not be as talented, but they will be a better team. That's how little I regarded Holly's "coaching" ability. Assuming Holly hasn't already ruined the players beyond repair with her utter incompetence, Kellie should be able to salvage the pieces. Maybe she won't beat the elite teams, but she won't be losing to Alabama for the 7th time in the row and fighting to get into the NCAAT as a double digit seed. I agree that Davis has the potential to be a very good player with national recognition. I hope her lackluster play and downtrodden demeanor was just her way of showing her frustration with Holly, and that a new coach will energize her game.

Instead of "talent" let's think about capacities so that we can better address player improvement curves.

I think Burrell and Zaay Green will be much more effective and consistent so I think we see an effective upgrade there. I expect Davis to become more of a game changing force, whereas she sometimes looked disinterested last season. I expect KK to be better but I envision that these other players will make bigger jumps. Massengill has a big upside as well. McCoy is a bit of wild card but she brings size and physicality.

Westbrook and C. Green are the biggest holes to fill. We have enough post players that the team may be able to get that level of energy and offensive rebounding from some combination of players.

Horston will need to fast track.

I agree that this team will be a lot better. The question is by how much.

I started a new patient a few weeks ago that plays college ball; she was 6'0". I said, " I guess the roster says 6'2". She was replied, "you're right." So take it with a grain of salt.
I lie about my height too.

I was 5’10” 1/2......now I’ve shrunk to 5’8”. Buy I lie saying I’m 5’9. I refuse to be less!!!

Instead of "talent" let's think about capacities so that we can better address player improvement curves.

I think Burrell and Zaay Green will be much more effective and consistent so I think we see an effective upgrade there. I expect Davis to become more of a game changing force, whereas she sometimes looked disinterested last season. I expect KK to be better but I envision that these other players will make bigger jumps. Massengill has a big upside as well. McCoy is a bit of wild card but she brings size and physicality.

Westbrook and C. Green are the biggest holes to fill. We have enough post players that the team may be able to get that level of energy and offensive rebounding from some combination of players.

Horston will need to fast track.

I agree that this team will be a lot better. The question is by how much.

I don't disagree with you. I answered the question looking at the players on the court and what their potential was...assuming they had a competent coach. They didn't last year; I believe Kellie will address that problem.

I think Collins is a big loss. Tennessee is bringing in a lot of new 6'3+ bodies, but I don't know if they will have the motor and the upside that Mimi had. I don't know enough about any of them to form an opinion, to be honest, so maybe we will all be saying "Mimi who?" by January.

I lie about my height too.

I was 5’10” 1/2......now I’ve shrunk to 5’8”. Buy I lie saying I’m 5’9. I refuse to be less!!!
I like how you added that 1/2". I used to just round up and say I'm 5'11, but that was a blatant lie...

I believe this year’s team will be better coached which will lead to better quality on the floor.

I believe with Green and Davis as the Guards/Forwards we’re in good position. I think KK(if healthy) shows a low of promise that may be fulfilled this year. Year 3 for posts in college tells a lot about who they are imo. I see her being a solid anchor. I question the 1 and 4 spot on this team. Mainly the 1 because Davis can play 4 although I wouldn’t want her playing there primarily.

I know Horston is GOOD GOOD but she’s still a freshman, if she can play as well as or better than Westbrook did in her freshman season, we’ll be in great shape.

Key/Brown/Saunders/Harris ... out of the 4 one will step up.

I’m just excited to see what the new team looks like.

I don't disagree with you. I answered the question looking at the players on the court and what their potential was...assuming they had a competent coach. They didn't last year; I believe Kellie will address that problem.

I think Collins is a big loss. Tennessee is bringing in a lot of new 6'3+ bodies, but I don't know if they will have the motor and the upside that Mimi had. I don't know enough about any of them to form an opinion, to be honest, so maybe we will all be saying "Mimi who?" by January.

I wish Collins were back as well. Though her story also gives reason for optimism. For the first half of the season, neither she nor Burrell looked likely to make notable contributions against upper tier competition. But both found niches and roles by the end of season. We can hope that some of the freshman have a similar in season improvement curve. Freshman players are always wild cards and the LVs will need a few to turn out as if not aces, at least, get in the royal family set.

Reactions: Amb3096 and lvocd
Well, there is another reason for optimism, although they were Coach Kellie’s own recruits, the team she took to the Sweet Sixteen last year were mostly freshmen and sophomores. We have no senior leadership for our team, as our two seniors are Lou, who hasn’t yet played for us, and Kamera who has played very little. Our juniors are Rennia, Kasi, a work in progress, and Jaiden, who has never played for us. Out of our three sophomores, Zaay, Rae, and Jaz, only Zaay proved she was an excellent shooter, but we have hope for both Rae and Jaz to improve greatly this year. Our freshmen look good on film, Horston looks like she has good floor vision, and likes to dish assists, Tamari and Emily have tons of potential, too, and we have Jessie to sink 3 pointers. So, in a way, this whole team seems like a wild card, but I believe Coach Kellie will put all the pieces together into a beautiful fit. 🙂

VN Store

Back