The Rodney Garner effect …

If you're the son of some of these "Nancy's" in here that "don't want their babies yelled at"..."made to run steps"..."disciplined to perform"...

then you don't.
It’s just like that commercial where the kid gives his dad the trophy and it says “participation” and he says “but we won every game” then crosses it out and writes champs or champions, can’t remember.

Either way, too many of these kids today have been coddled and told they were this good. Many haven’t had to put blood, sweat, and tears to get to this point. That’s what Coach G is going to demand and it’s just not what many of them want.

That’s why we will have guys with character going forward. I think this is what most of our staff are all about and it shows.

No coach is going to land each of their recruiting targets. Garner recruits lights out but still loses his fair share. Not everyone is a fit with Garner. But Garner gets guys who fit and he gets the most out of them. I'll take the ones that want to work with Garner and be fine with losing those that don't.

A lot of these kids don’t like his aggressive style of coaching.

If you make a mistake, he’s going to call you out on it. He may say a few cuss words along the way.

However, that just means he deeply cares about these kids and wants to get them ready for the NFL.

A lot of these kids don’t like his aggressive style of coaching.

If you make a mistake, he’s going to call you out on it. He may say a few cuss words along the way.

However, that just means he deeply cares about these kids and wants to get them ready for the NFL.
It’s just like that commercial where the kid gives his dad the trophy and it says “participation” and he says “but we won every game” then crosses it out and writes champs or champions, can’t remember.

Either way, too many of these kids today have been coddled and told they were this good. Many haven’t had to put blood, sweat, and tears to get to this point. That’s what Coach G is going to demand and it’s just not what many of them want.

That’s why we will have guys with character going forward. I think this is what most of our staff are all about and it shows.

Wrong narrative. Garner has taken kids from broken homes, kids with big ego’s and kids who are spoiled, and mentored them into becoming strong men and leaders. Most eighteen year olds don’t show up as developed humans. If you think some made up story about the demise of society fits with Garner, you’re wrong. He does not give up on young men because of where they start. He shows them where they can go.

My brother was a head football coach/athletic director in South Georgia and he said the "Mama's love Garner" because he acts as a father figure to the players and will keep them on the straight and narrow and out of trouble.

Garner explains his method in these words: "But I try to tell them, don't take the tone, receive the message. That aggressiveness...that's just me wanting to win. That's just me wanting you to be better."
I like that. I will have to remember that with my kids ;)

Reactions: Chickenfarmer
Garner explains his method in these words: "But I try to tell them, don't take the tone, receive the message. That aggressiveness...that's just me wanting to win. That's just me wanting you to be better."
Exactly! When I scream and curse at other drivers on the road, that's just me wanting them to be better drivers.

:D

I honestly feel that the defensive coaches have gotten a bum rap here as we lost so many defensive players during the coaching transition from pitiful to great and they had quite a hole to dig out of and are just now getting the talent to be successful with.

Wrong narrative. Garner has taken kids from broken homes, kids with big ego’s and kids who are spoiled, and mentored them into becoming strong men and leaders. Most eighteen year olds don’t show up as developed humans. If you think some made up story about the demise of society fits with Garner, you’re wrong. He does not give up on young men because of where they start. He shows them where they can go.
You might want to reread.

Where in my post did I say CRG or anyone else gives up on kids for whatever reason? The point I was making is the very thing you ended your post with.

And if you think the story of the demise of society is made up, you need to get out a little or at least take off your blinders.

The commercial just illustrates - the kids know the story. I helped coach a T-ball team. The kids were just starting to play and we weren’t keeping score. After the game one asked if we won or lost. Coach said he was focused on learning the game. Another little kid announced “we lost 8-4”. Everybody was bummed until the team mom broke out the snacks then they were all happy again! Really miss those days.

Dadgumit......my fault. He went to defensive when he went to UGA.....my fault. 25 years......things get jumbled.

VN Store

Back