The Rock/Metal Thread

Was never a fan of his playing honestly.
I thought his playing on No More Tears and Ozzmosis was top notch. Ozzy needs someone that has identifiable sound. The guy playing on the new album is a good player, but he doesn’t sound different than 99% of the other guitarists out there.

Zep already knows this...but it turns out that 1 of my brothers is related to a guitarist in KJ...and they somehow got to open for TOOL on this tour...so I am going to see them for the 3rd time in the last 30 years in Raleigh on 11.24 and actually get to hangout backstage before and after. I know there are some here who arent big TOOL fans but they have been my fave since the 90s. Couldnt be anymore excited. Gonna have to knock over a liquor store to buy a bunch of cool merch with Christmas being only a month after. I wouldnt even go and spend any money at all other than on my wife and kids if it wasnt a once in a lifetime thing. Last saw Maynard in APC at the Charlotte Hornets training facility almost 20 years ago? Super excited.
That's awesome!

Tool is in Nashville January 23. Tickets go on sale at 11:00 AM CT Friday. If you want tickets I suggest being logged in and ready because in 2016 the concert sold out in minutes.

Tool is in Nashville January 23. Tickets go on sale at 11:00 AM CT Friday. If you want tickets I suggest being logged in and ready because in 2016 the concert sold out in minutes.
That's because ticket sales are a complete scam. I was logged in immediately and could get nothing but nosebleeds. Of course, there were thousands on StubHub for $300+ in no time. It's so maddening that I don't even want to try to see bands live anymore.

*P.S. it was my birthday, so we splurged for $350/pc for tickets for that show. And it was awesome.

Reactions: davethevol
I think "No More Tears" is a very under-appreciated album. My favorite Ozzy album start to finish... Sounds so good, Wylde goes wild, not a bad song, lots of variation.
I’d say it’s right up there with Diary of a Madman. Most of Ozzy’s albums have 2 or 3 really good songs with the remainder being filler. Ozzy really needs Zakk.

Gillis did a great job. Ozzy had some guitarists that had the gig and then had it revoked that would have been interesting. George Lynch, Alex Skolnick, Gary Hoey, and Steve Vai all worked with him before Sharon decided they just weren’t the right fit.

Dad gum...never knew this thread was here and I was an Ozzy freak in 80's. Saw RR in B'ham a few days before he died. I had everything from Sabbath and Ozzy including radio concerts and bootlegs. There was a show in Memphis iirc, or it may of just been the Memphis station, right after RR death and I had it on cassette. I can't remember the guitarist name but it was before Gillis and he was a quick fill in to finish the tour and never made an album.

Reactions: marvin616
TIL that Jason Momoa, aka Aquaman, is a huge metal fan. He was backstage at the final Slayer concert and brought his kids with him.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
TIL that Jason Momoa, aka Aquaman, is a huge metal fan. He was backstage at the final Slayer concert and brought his kids with him.
He did something recently with Phil Anselmo and The Illegals. I think he got to sing some Pantera songs with them. He seems like a cool guy.

I never was a UFO fan when I was younger, although I liked the early Scorpions. I really like this Schenker solo.

Same here. Michael Schenker is actually one of my favorite guitarists to listen to now. His tone and approach to crafting a solo is as good as it gets. His Michael Schenker Group recordings MSG and Assault Attack and his performance on UFO's Strangers in The Night (especially "Rock Bottom") are fantastic.

Same here. Michael Schenker is actually one of my favorite guitarists to listen to now. His tone and approach to crafting a solo is as good as it gets. His Michael Schenker Group recordings MSG and Assault Attack and his performance on UFO's Strangers in The Night (especially "Rock Bottom") are fantastic.

You play?

VN Store

Back