The Rise And Fall Of Women’s NCAA Tournament Dynasties

The "fall" occurred gradually over the last 20 years. Anyone who comes in and succeeds will be starting their own dynasty from scratch. There are successful, attractive programs for recruits to consider all over the country in a variety of conferences, big and small. When TN was dominant, they were the only game in town. That will never be true again. The search for a successful head coach will probably work out like the travails of the football program over the last several decades, full of false starts and head-scratching compromises. On the plus side Spring is one day closer.

A girl who accidentally threw my hat out the window of the school bus when I was a kid won two national championships there, and came within a couple of points of another her Sr. year as they lost to USC. She wanted to play for Pat, but she would not recruit TN players at that time because TN still played half court 6 on 6 ball for HS girls. I guess Pat regretted that one. On a side note Mulkey was the point guard on that La Tech team. Yeah, I started crying and told the bus driver to stop; he was able to back up and get my hat since we were on a rural dirt road.

A girl who accidentally threw my hat out the window of the school bus when I was a kid won two national championships there, and came within a couple of points of another her Sr. year as they lost to USC. She wanted to play for Pat, but she would not recruit TN players at that time because TN still played half court 6 on 6 ball for HS girls. I guess Pat regretted that one. On a side note Mulkey was the point guard on that La Tech team. Yeah, I started crying and told the bus driver to stop; he was able to back up and get my hat since we were on a rural dirt road.
Kim is in her 19th season at Baylor and just picked up her 7th BIG XII CoY Award today. What could have been for La Tech had they only offered ÇKM a two year contract to turn things around. I'm glad Sonja Hogg was here to guide Kim to Waco.

NCAA women's has always been a few good teams and a lot of mediocre to bad, which translates into a lot of lopsided, boring blowouts. The parity has gotton better but not that much better.

Kim is in her 19th season at Baylor and just picked up her 7th BIG XII CoY Award today. What could have been for La Tech had they only offered ÇKM a two year contract to turn things around. I'm glad Sonja Hogg was here to guide Kim to Waco.

I read a quote from Kim just the other day where she said; “in today’s climate of women’s college basketball.....once a program looses it, they are never going to get it back!”

Fall of a Basketball Dynasty

Is this Tennessee’s fate? IMHO, the answer is yes, unless we get a new coach soon.

Is it Tennessee's fate? The dynasty, sure, the dynasty has passed. Just as Texas declined after Conradt left, and Connecticut will decline after Auriemma retires, and Notre Dame after McGraw calls it a day.

But that said, this article feels very underwhelming to me. It's focused on seeding as a measurement but doesn't really explore what contributed (or contributes) to the rise and fall of programs, not in any real capacity. For the longest time it was a smaller sport with a smaller public footprint where a handful of programs vied for players from small pool of superior talent. Coaches of significant skill in the older days commanded the attention of those recruits, and as almost every school in the 1970s/80s/90s treated women's basketball as an afterthought, there wasn't really much benefit to choosing a big Power 5 school over a smaller school. That enabled schools like Louisiana Tech and Long Beach to compete on a more even footing with Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Stanford, et al. And building on that, the writer failed to factor in any of the changes media (and ESPN in particular) have brought to the sport, and I don't think the conditions seen in the 1980s apply today. P5 schools can now offer better facilities, better exposure, better advantages, and that gives the ones who commit resources can now aggressively recruit a growing (still small, but not *as* small) pool of talented players. Successful programs will be slightly less tied to coaching alone, and commensurately less tied solely to coaching eras, and slightly more tied to the P5 system as a whole. In theory, as the pool grows (to the extent that it will), more programs would improve along with the general upswell.

Or put more simply, while the dynasty is over, Tennessee hasn't "gone" anywhere; it just has to commit to winning and putting the resources and people behind the program needed to win.

Reactions: madtownvol
It will not be another football situation for a few reasons. But the main reason is that the A.D. is in the best shape it has been in a long time. Luckily,Jimmy Haslam does t care a lot about WBB.

It will not be another football situation for a few reasons. But the main reason is that the A.D. is in the best shape it has been in a long time. Luckily,Jimmy Haslam does t care a lot about WBB.
His father, Jim, If he hasn’t figured out it was a waste of time watching holly coach, sits on the court across from lady vol bench. I’m sure he cares a lot about lady vol basketball or he wouldn’t have donated $ to sit there. Jimmy? Who knows.

I read a quote from Kim just the other day where she said; “in today’s climate of women’s college basketball.....once a program looses it, they are never going to get it back!”
That is Kim's annual State of the OU Program to Sherri Coale but it could well refer to any program.

Kim will soon have a new recruiting tool to further bury Sherri (as will Texas).

There's a BIG XIi school on I-35 that isn't keeping up with the Arms Race and it ain't located in Austin or Waco. The Lloyd Noble Center is dog crap.

"I read a quote from Kim just the other day where she said; “in today’s climate of women’s college basketball.....once a program looses it, they are never going to get it back!”

Please tell me Kim Sulky knows the difference between 'loose' and 'lose'!

Last edited:
Reactions: gule
LaTech and Old Dominion crashed and burned and Tennessee has fallen off from where they used to be. I think UConn will weaken like Tennessee has when Geno retires.

"I read a quote from Kim just the other day where she said; “in today’s climate of women’s college basketball.....once a program looses it, they are never going to get it back!”

Sulkey??? That's cute...I guess.

Now down to the meat and taters... tater. You really think that Kim "wrote" that?

200w.gif

Now down to the meat and taters... tater. You really think that Kim "wrote" that?

View attachment 196910

View attachment 196910

LaTech and Old Dominion crashed and burned and Tennessee has fallen off from where they used to be. I think UConn will weaken like Tennessee has when Geno retires.
Using Alabama Football and UNC MBB as examples I would say the odds are in your favor.

The time period between Bear Bryant and Nick Saban or Dean Smith and Roy Williams were rather lean by each programs accepted standards. Though Stallings and Guthrie each brought home a title, the mighty did slip a notch or two.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Were heading toward more parity but nothing replaces talent, execution, and effort. If you can get a team that has all three you will be in the Championship hunt every season no matter the name on your chest.

Reactions: BUBear
"The Rise And Fall Of Women’s NCAA Tournament Dynasties"
For the Lady Vols...………………….that horse left the barn a few years ago!!
If Holly is NOT replaced, the Fillup needs to be fired also!
Enuf is Enuf!

"The Rise And Fall Of Women’s NCAA Tournament Dynasties"
For the Lady Vols...………………….that horse left the barn a few years ago!!
If Holly is NOT replaced, the Fillup needs to be fired also!
Enuf is Enuf!
I think Phil Fulmer will stick around until 2020 or 2021 when he goes back into retirement

The only way UConn survives post-Geno is if they can get themselves into a major conference. Otherwise, their future will be the same as their men's program.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
For example La Tech, Southern Cal, Texas, UCLA, Duke, North Carolina, Auburn, Georgia, Ohio State, Vandy, Michigan State, LSU, Oklahoma and i'm sure there are some I have missed.

VN Store

Back