The Republican Fraud That Misled Us Into War

I am. I was talking "conservatives" in general. Not about VN posters

This is the quote you answered....

Oh, and BTW, I think you will find that most conservatives on here will admit that the Iraq invasion was a disaster. I'm not sure you are going to get the reaction or pushback that you were maybe fishing for.

You must have missed the red part.

Reactions: McDad
Without a doubt the War in Iraq was unnecessary and has seen needless deaths of thousands of US troops and Iraqi civilians. The US government has no reason to be in the business of nation building with the exception of maybe South Korea. I feel sorry for the US soldiers who were killed or mentally scarred from Iraq, Vietnam, and Afghanistan. The US government owes them and their families an apology. I will never understand the logic behind endless foreign wars that cost billions of dollars and thousands of lives.

Panay Incident, they blew up a US coastal ship visiting the chinese more than a year before, not sure on the exact year in the 30s.

I dont know if there were any deaths, but when they closed the Chinese port cities there was some violence keeping our merchants and military out. Not sure if we were officially part of the peacekeeping force after the Chinese civil war or if we were there just to protect our trade interest.
Weren't there also attacks on the pacific coast and Alaska's island chain?

Maybe that was after Pearl Harbor.

Weren't there also attacks on the pacific coast and Alaska's island chain?

Maybe that was after Pearl Harbor.

Some (2-3) of the Aleutian Islands were occupied by the Japanese in 42. Wake Island was attacked at almost the same time as PH (but because of the international date line it happened on the 8th), and the Philippines were also attacked on the 8th.

Without a doubt the War in Iraq was unnecessary and has seen needless deaths of thousands of US troops and Iraqi civilians. The US government has no reason to be in the business of nation building with the exception of maybe South Korea. I feel sorry for the US soldiers who were killed or mentally scarred from Iraq, Vietnam, and Afghanistan. The US government owes them and their families an apology. I will never understand the logic behind endless foreign wars that cost billions of dollars and thousands of lives.

The logic at the time was illogical. We were only 18 months removed from 9/11 and that bloodlust was still there, especially because UBL was still at large. Saddam was an easy target because he had had WMD’s and our greatest fear was getting hit again on a massive scale. The psychology of it was just stupid because Saddam was never going to go after us . He valued his power more than anything and he wouldn’t jeopardize that . Many people, myself included, could buy the idea that he continually puffed his chest and created false intelligence in order to keep the Iranians from thinking they would be able to invade without facing the chemical attacks they did in the 80’s . Iraq obviously invaded Iran back in 1980, but a depleted conventional Iraqi force would be no match for the Iranians.
Im not using this as an excuse because this war should never have happened and I still find the war planning strategy to be completely flawed. It was like Rumsfeld knew we could choose any sort of strategy and used it as an impressive platform to show our capabilities. That’s all well and good, but there were massive fatal flaws, such as securing the Northwestern Iraqi border before all the crazies could flood in, or disbanding the Iraqi Army.

why the exception for South Korea? seems like the only difference is we were successful there.

The logic at the time was illogical. We were only 18 months removed from 9/11 and that bloodlust was still there, especially because UBL was still at large. Saddam was an easy target because he had had WMD’s and our greatest fear was getting hit again on a massive scale. The psychology of it was just stupid because Saddam was never going to go after us . He valued his power more than anything and he wouldn’t jeopardize that . Many people, myself included, could buy the idea that he continually puffed his chest and created false intelligence in order to keep the Iranians from thinking they would be able to invade without facing the chemical attacks they did in the 80’s . Iraq obviously invaded Iran back in 1980, but a depleted conventional Iraqi force would be no match for the Iranians.
Im not using this as an excuse because this war should never have happened and I still find the war planning strategy to be completely flawed. It was like Rumsfeld knew we could choose any sort of strategy and used it as an impressive platform to show our capabilities. That’s all well and good, but there were massive fatal flaws, such as securing the Northwestern Iraqi border before all the crazies could flood in, or disbanding the Iraqi Army.
the last is probably the single biggest reason ISIS was such an issue. we love creating our future enemies.

why the exception for South Korea? seems like the only difference is we were successful there.

We didn't truly nation build in SK. It was a quasi democracy prior to being invaded by NK and remained so afterwards. In Afghanistan and Iraq we tried to remake them in our image.

Without being a Hillary hater, I do have a few harsh judgments about her foreign policies. I could list a few, but will stay on topic by repeating that those who voted for the Iraq War Resolution knew or should have known what the Bush Administration was doing. I believe that Clinton knew. They covered themselves by including conditions which the President had to state, and they either knew or should have known that Bush, Cheney, and their crew would just tell whatever lies the Resolution required the Administration to tell.

The Clinton admin, Democrats, and Republicans - had hard-sold war with Iraq for two years prior to Bush's election. All Bush had to do was roll with the flow and close the sale. Shite intel enabled it.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back