The reality of our program

I've been a TN fan for all my life. Nearly 40 years now. I've seen the ups and I've seen the downs, and being that my family are season ticket holders, we've seen a lot of those ups and downs in person. I've also been a member of this board for 10 years now. Like most of you, I come here numerous times a day to see what's going on (Especially during coaching searches lol). One thing I've noticed about the fans is that throughout the years, the expectations have gotten bigger and the patience has gotten smaller. I absolutely want to win every game we play but some of y'all need to realize where this program is at. I know this is a world of instant gratification but its rare that a program has the massive turnaround that some of you want in the first year or two. You should definitely want to see steps in the right direction and I believe we've seen that so far, but expecting to beat a Florida team who is 29-9 in the past 3 seasons is a bit much. We're 16-19 over the same period, under an NCAA investigation, had 58+ transfer out vs Florida's 29 transfers, a completely new staff, a new AD, and most recruits are too young to even remember us being a good team.

I feel good about our staff and the leadership in place at UT now. I believe WITH TIME we will see a TN team that will win the SEC again. How that happens is by giving CJH and his staff time to recruit and develop a team that 100% fits their system. Calling for coaches to be fired after a few games in ridiculous and does nothing to help. Guys, we're on our 6th coach in 13 years. If we keep this up they'll create a coaches transfer portal because of us lol.
BelatedAnxiousConure-max-1mb.gif

Not sure if I agree about expectations getting bigger... we fired a HoFer because the year after he went to the SEC title game cause he lost his seat at the top. Today, I am pretty sure most everyone would be good if you told us we're gonna win 8-9 games over the next 4 seasons with our recruiting and depth getting better each year. That'd still be a step below the 9-10 games a year we were at 13yrs ago.
yep, I remember " What's a Rutgers ?"

I’m certainly on board with Heupel. I’m hopeful he can get things rolling, improve the program, and develop the talent.

At this point I don’t think I have had anything negative to say about him. I simply need to give him a chance………heck he was a better hire than several of the “names” I was thinking about.

However “if” at some point it fails…….”if” it all starts to fall apart……if the wheels come off……..there is NO need on earth to keep a coach who cannot get it done……..just to delay the inevitable………simply because “he needs more time.”

Heck all of them can use more time. If it don’t work……if it ain’t working……cut your losses and move on.

If it ain’t broke by all means don’t fix it…….if it’s broke……if it stays broke, if the “fixer” can’t fix it……..by all means try something…..anything different.

it was extremely easy to see Pruitt “didn’t have it.” He left Tennessee in a worse wreak than he found it…….had he stayed longer……if could have…….and probably would have become even worse.

Sure…..by all means give a coach time. IF it is justified. Not simply because……”well we have to.”
We have seen what happens when we hire coaches who are almost certain to lose because of their background and record. They were given 4-5 yers to try to learn how to coach. They failed because of one or more reasons. I think the current situation is much different now. First of all.we have an Administration which seems to realize ht the Athletic programs at Tennessee had been allowed to rot away. Second, the Administration seems to be willing to support our teams with new leadership with personal who appear to be experienced with records which indicated they know how to coach and win. We have a number of good football players on both sides of the ball, but we do have some holes which need to be filled and we need to build depth. Building depth and experience are the keys and will take 2-3 recruiting classes to accomplish. We have the need to believe and support this new attempt to restore our football program or to kill it almost beyond repair. Let's give this crew to opportunity to demonstrate what they can do and support them. If they fail, they fail, but I think we have our best opportunity to build and sustain a competitive team. We fans can be the force to help or we can be the force to destroy. I, for one, am willing to be part of the force to help.

We have seen what happens when we hire coaches who are almost certain to lose because of their background and record. They were given 4-5 yers to try to learn how to coach. They failed because of one or more reasons. I think the current situation is much different now. First of all.we have an Administration which seems to realize ht the Athletic programs at Tennessee had been allowed to rot away. Second, the Administration seems to be willing to support our teams with new leadership with personal who appear to be experienced with records which indicated they know how to coach and win. We have a number of good football players on both sides of the ball, but we do have some holes which need to be filled and we need to build depth. Building depth and experience are the keys and will take 2-3 recruiting classes to accomplish. We have the need to believe and support this new attempt to restore our football program or to kill it almost beyond repair. Let's give this crew to opportunity to demonstrate what they can do and support them. If they fail, they fail, but I think we have our best opportunity to build and sustain a competitive team. We fans can be the force to help or we can be the force to destroy. I, for one, am willing to be part of the force to help.

huh??

Isn’t that what I said? Basically?

then followed it up with talk about the firing of some bad coaches……which was justified and needed.

You can’t keep terrible coaches who don’t develop players simply because…….without reason.

however we should all give Heupel support and hopefully he can get it done.

I've been a TN fan for all my life. Nearly 40 years now. I've seen the ups and I've seen the downs, and being that my family are season ticket holders, we've seen a lot of those ups and downs in person. I've also been a member of this board for 10 years now. Like most of you, I come here numerous times a day to see what's going on (Especially during coaching searches lol). One thing I've noticed about the fans is that throughout the years, the expectations have gotten bigger and the patience has gotten smaller. I absolutely want to win every game we play but some of y'all need to realize where this program is at. I know this is a world of instant gratification but its rare that a program has the massive turnaround that some of you want in the first year or two. You should definitely want to see steps in the right direction and I believe we've seen that so far, but expecting to beat a Florida team who is 29-9 in the past 3 seasons is a bit much. We're 16-19 over the same period, under an NCAA investigation, had 58+ transfer out vs Florida's 29 transfers, a completely new staff, a new AD, and most recruits are too young to even remember us being a good team.

I feel good about our staff and the leadership in place at UT now. I believe WITH TIME we will see a TN team that will win the SEC again. How that happens is by giving CJH and his staff time to recruit and develop a team that 100% fits their system. Calling for coaches to be fired after a few games in ridiculous and does nothing to help. Guys, we're on our 6th coach in 13 years. If we keep this up they'll create a coaches transfer portal because of us lol.

VN Store

Back