The real reason for conference expansion…

Isn’t that always the motivation for most moves like this?
Sadly. Everyone is selfish and CFB is run by conferences, which are all greedy to the point of ruin. Need something like pro sports where 1 entity ensures parity, broad national appeal. Imagine if the NFL let their be 8 powerhouse markets in 1 division, meanwhile 2-team divisions with smaller markets like Nashville, Jax, Green Bay dying off.

Sickening how stupid this model is.

Reactions: Bigorangedan23
Why is Texas making the move to the SEC?
2:00min mark- RECRUITING

I still think everyone is missing RECRUITING is the reason. TX doesn’t need more money but they can’t pay their kids to play. Wherever the endorsement contracts are bigger and more lucrative is going to decide where the kids go play ball.

A super conference like the SEC expanded will have the largest viewer base and in connection get the most money for NIL endorsements. The kids will follow the money to whatever school it leads them.

Not sure what difference it will make to the business owners, honestly. Go get paid at 10 time Big 12 champ OU/9-3 Texas or get paid at 8-4 OU and 6-6 TX. Those programs are like ND (oh and UT). They don't need any conference, nor any specific conference, to be a big brand.

It makes all the difference to the business owner….
Companies spend money on advertising/endorsements with the expectation that they will receive more value in return from the partnership. IE: increased sales or brand recognition in connection with the endorsement.

Endorsement contracts will be negotiated based upon how large a market the athlete influences and how successful they believe that athlete is or will be.

NIL will morph college football into a professional league. This isn’t a donation arrangement where you donate to a school cause you want to see them win… major corpirations will ONLY spend big money to endorse an athlete if they think the relationship will return a profit (or enhance their brand sufficiently). A super league with a larger viewer base and elite platform will result in SEC kids scoring more lucrative endorsement deals than anywhere else. This will result in a recruiting advantage for the SEC.

Endorsement contracts will be negotiated based upon how large a market the athlete influences and how successful they believe that athlete is or will be.

No, the school or third party just pays the player to sign.

NIL are pretty much meaningless, its about pay to play.

Reactions: tnutater
No, the school or third party just pays the player to sign.

NIL are pretty much meaningless, its about pay to play.
Pretty much as it has always been.
IMHO, NIL just allows big boosters a way to write off their pay to play purchases as advertising expense.

Why is Texas making the move to the SEC?
2:00min mark- RECRUITING

I still think everyone is missing RECRUITING is the reason. TX doesn’t need more money but they can’t pay their kids to play. Wherever the endorsement contracts are bigger and more lucrative is going to decide where the kids go play ball.

A super conference like the SEC expanded will have the largest viewer base and in connection get the most money for NIL endorsements. The kids will follow the money to whatever school it leads them.

While Texas and OU may want the elevated recruiting profile/pitch that being a member of an SEC super conference will afford them, the reason that Greg Sankey and the conference are doing this is two-fold in my estimation: (1) Money. The ability to restructure the existing television deals will bring an unthinkable amount of money to the league; (2) Competitive necessity. Looking at this from Sankey's position, if Texas and Oklahoma are absolutely leaving the BIG12, then your only option is to either acquire them and raise the profile of the SEC as the preeminent college football conference, or allow them to go to another conference and thereby weaken the SEC's prestige by comparison. If those schools join the B1G instead of the SEC, then we are thrust back into a 2005-07 situation where the media fawns over the B1G teams, despite logic and evidence demonstrating that they are not as competitive as the SEC.

You cannot allow expansion to begin with another conference if you are Sankey, especially as we watch the NCAA deteriorate in real time, and the writing on the wall signifies that in the relatively near future the Power conferences will have the ability and the necessity to break away and form their own entity.

Will recruiting improve for the present members of the SEC? No, I really do not believe that it will. Texas will be no more open to the SEC than it already is, and in fact, it will likely hurt much of the SEC in accessing that recruiting territory, because now Texas kids can to go the premier program in the state and still play in the SEC. From that vantage, I feel bad for A&M, because their biggest recruiting pitch to in-state players just dissolved before their eyes.

The NIL will play some factor, but we really have no idea how the NIL is going to factor yet. It is just extremely new, and there are a number of odd technicalities on how boosters are allowed to function within the NIL rules. I anticipate that we will see some players make large sums due to endorsements, but a majority of these kids are going to make very little.

It’s $$! That’s the real reason!
I have a question. We all know Bama has the highest payroll in the SEC. I have heard that Texas has always done likewise to acquire players. So, who will have the highest payroll , Bama or Texas?

its TV money and the Big 12 commish is right, ESPN has been driving this expansion...

VN Store

Back