The problem with the Lady Vols

I back Pat and roll with Holly. She pisses me off sometime, but not a bad job in her three years, and Holly losing to UTC or any team in Tenn is unacceptable.

The problem with lady vols are the 1 and 2 spot. We need better play.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree that no one fears us but no one fear Duke and UNC either. They are in the same boat as us. They haven't been to Final 4s in awhile.

Carter actually was top-5 before her ACL injury, which she sustained very, very early in her senior year.

I agree that no one fears us but no one fear Duke and UNC either. They are in the same boat as us. They haven't been to Final 4s in awhile.

They have had good programs--still do--but they do not have our history or pedigree. I don't think UNC has won a national title, and not sure duke has either. Are we supposed to feel better because unc and duke are not great either?

There is no question that our guard play has to be better--a problem for years. Warlick should be reading the riot act to Massengale, who is highly skilled but a /serious/ underachiever--not hungry enough, not tough enough, not enough of a leader--but I think Warlick has some innate fear of being too hard on players. I think we'd be better with Carter at PG and Massengale at the 2, as Carter, for starters, is better at stopping the ball on defense, which is important. Warlick was asked today about UT's offensive woes, and she answered that the players "just need to get in the gym and shoot more." Whew, I feel much better!

Yep its kinda sad that she has to spend time on shooting, when the players need to be getting the gym on their own to put up shots.

Most coaches focus on defense and rebounding, but its upto the players to work on their moves, offensive game cos your only alloted a certain amount of hours to practice as a unit, each week.

Our players haven't been in the gym and its noticeable. Nared should be dragging Dunbar to the gym and going one on one. I bet Cooper and Deshields will be in the gym.

i'd pay to see Nared/Dunbar one on one.... lol of course I'm just a dirty ole man..... bwhahahahaaaaaaaaaa

The thing with Tara is she has had Stanford playing at a real high level the last 6 or 7 years now. Problem is so has Geno who has his team playing at even higher level. Holly is nowhere near these two coaches. So we're just going to sit back and hope she gets there one day?

No one fears the Lady Vols anymore...... gone are the glory days of being the most feared program in the country... lets face it that's UConn now..
also people fear ND, Duke, UNC even Stanford more than the Lady Vols.

People used to fear the stare of Pat Summit, they feared the mighty offensive rebounding teams we had and many great defensive teams......
the girls that played here feared letting Pat down much less making her mad... that fear is gone.
Holly simply is not feared, and the team is not feared.
I love my Lady Vols but this is unfortunately a fact and has been for a few years.
In '74 when Pat started coaching, this was the car that most people would love to be driving...Unfortunately, some of the fans think that is about like we should still be playing basketball. All of the UConn's and NotreDames have made light year adjustments to their programs because the competition has got much much better. Nice car, we need to update our basketball program.
1974-chevrolet-full-line-03.jpg

I'm new here. This looks as good a place to ask this as any. Is Dunbar so bad they just can't afford to put her in the game? Seems like she is the best 3 point shooter on the team.

I'm new here. This looks as good a place to ask this as any. Is Dunbar so bad they just can't afford to put her in the game? Seems like she is the best 3 point shooter on the team.

I don't know the answer to that per se but your question raises another issue- just what are the LVs looking for in their recruits.

High school rankings can be skewed because a player may be thriving against lower quality comp--where being taller or stronger (or a really good shooter) makes for game changing advantages.

When they get to the college level, inadequacies are exposed. In the case of Dunbar, she has a good shot but she seems to be fairly slow in terms of lateral movement (a huge liability on defense) and I suspect her overall game fitness may be lacking.

So, are the Holly and company recruiting such players as projects, counting on future development? Or are they hoping that such players, despite their limitations can still help the team sooner than later? I point to the case of Sydney Smallbone to suggest that certain shortcomings in athleticism are not likely to be overcome.

In '74 when Pat started coaching, this was the car that most people would love to be driving...Unfortunately, some of the fans think that is about like we should still be playing basketball. All of the UConn's and NotreDames have made light year adjustments to their programs because the competition has got much much better. Nice car, we need to update our basketball program.
1974-chevrolet-full-line-03.jpg

Love the car analogy. The Lady Vol program reminds me of Ford in the current automobile marketplace. An iconic brand historically but has lost the glitz and glam it once had in the eye of consumers. It has been passed by other auto makers like Toyota, Honda (UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor) that have sleeker, slimmer, and more efficient products. The question then becomes will the LV program evolve to the market place (i.e. get an offensive scheme that relies on efficient/crisp passing and assists) or will they insist that the same product is still good it just needs to be re-imaged or put more effort into not completely redesigned (i.e. all we need is to be better at defense/rebounding and we will win).

Last edited:

Holly stated that her defense needs to improve and that she is getting better.

We just don't have a killer instinct. Players like Spindarella, pashen Thompson, Holdsclaw, Conklin, Lawson and many more were ass kickin warriors! Man I loved watching Abby Conklin hustle! She would knock you out to get that basketball! There I'm off my box!

The problem with the LadyVols is the Head Coach. When Pat was coaching them there never was a roller coaster going on like there is with Holly.

Reactions: 2 people
We just don't have a killer instinct. Players like Spindarella, pashen Thompson, Holdsclaw, Conklin, Lawson and many more were ass kickin warriors! Man I loved watching Abby Conklin hustle! She would knock you out to get that basketball! There I'm off my box!

It seems as though many teams are recruiting ass kicking 5 stars. Aren't we doing the samething? I saw several of our recruits in all star games and in world championship games and they certainly did not seem as though they would be pushovers.

I don't know the answer to that per se but your question raises another issue- just what are the LVs looking for in their recruits.

High school rankings can be skewed because a player may be thriving against lower quality comp--where being taller or stronger (or a really good shooter) makes for game changing advantages.

When they get to the college level, inadequacies are exposed. In the case of Dunbar, she has a good shot but she seems to be fairly slow in terms of lateral movement (a huge liability on defense) and I suspect her overall game fitness may be lacking.

So, are the Holly and company recruiting such players as projects, counting on future development? Or are they hoping that such players, despite their limitations can still help the team sooner than later? I point to the case of Sydney Smallbone to suggest that certain shortcomings in athleticism are not likely to be overcome.

I agree she is a project, once she leanrs how to defend in the post, she'll be on the floor. I see her being good by her Junior year if she puts in the work.

It seems as though many teams are recruiting ass kicking 5 stars. Aren't we doing the samething? I saw several of our recruits in all star games and in world championship games and they certainly did not seem as though they would be pushovers.

I didn't say 5*. I'm talking passion, grit and heart. That is the foundation of Lady Vol basketball. We have top shelf talent like UConn. They will run over their own mom to win. We are not tough enough... Yet.

Which is still more recent than Stanford's last championship BTW- for all the praise Tara V. gets.....

Would you give Tara V. credit if you knew she got her team to the Final Four six of the last seven seasons? Is that recent enough for you?

Would you give Tara V. credit if you knew she got her team to the Final Four six of the last seven seasons? Is that recent enough for you?

I give Tara V. tons of credit, but it's about to be six of the last eight seasons. She doesn't have it this year....

VN Store

Back