The problem isn't whether Heupel is our future, but how do we retain him?

This is akin to worrying "How will I appendix carry" if my pecker suddenly sprouts another 8" and needs to be doubled over.

6 games into his first year. SIX GAMES. Pour a couple of fingers of Jack and relax and enjoy the ride.
In Lynchburg the correct truism is "Pour 4 fingers from a half gallon of Black Jack, and really relax."
Squire Tater approves this message.

We will retain him if he shows major improvement with consistency. I believe this new AD will have the balls to fight for it as football is the biggest cash cow of all sports. So if we continue this trajectory then it only makes logical sense to pay this man his due. But it'll have to be in a few years before we actually need to talk about a raise and or extension. Until then he has to prove it year after year after year. Someone said on here that CJH signed a 6 year contract so let's wait to see the first 3 years results before we count our chickens again like we did with previous staffs.

Way too early for this crap but I’ll play. You retain CJH the same way you retain any coach; you pay them more and extend their contract. UT has extended contracts for some pretty $*** coaches over the last decade so surely we can fork out some dough for a successful one, provided he is successful.

So far, so good. He seems to be just what we have needed, including a winner QB. But lets hold off before contract extensions!

WHY IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION? ONLY ONE COACH has left on their own accord in the last 40 years. Cornbread Didn't, Butch Didn't, Dooley Did not, FULMER Did Not and he won the MNC, Majors didn't either. Only our own dear Kiffen left us. People want this job but they just can't handle it.
I've been a Vol fan since the 90's because I love "Smokey" the dog. I can't believe the improvement under Heupel. With JUCOS, transfers, and a varied collection of lower rated players, he has created a fun football team to watch. They don't quit and appear to love football again. Even the Pitt and Florida games were entertaining. And I am not a coach hater. I think Dooley, Butch, and Cornbread were all good options at the time. Sometimes you have to throw a lot of personnel at the wall to find the best. That's how Peyton emerged. What do most fans do? They blow air.

You know, if the Vols had TN Tech, Bowling Green, Pitt and South Alabama on the schedule last year, they'd have won more than 3 games. Let's get some conference wins against teams not named South Carolina, Missouri or Vanderbilt. I like what I'm seeing but I want to see more.

WHY IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION? ONLY ONE COACH has left on their own accord in the last 40 years. Cornbread Didn't, Butch Didn't, Dooley Did not, FULMER Did Not and he won the MNC, Majors didn't either. Only our own dear Kiffen left us. People want this job but they just can't handle it.

So what are you trying to say? Any coach in his right mind wouldn't take this job with the NCAA sanctions hanging over them. I didn't think at first we hired the right guy but as the games go by I think we did. Crow tastes good with BBQ sauce.

You know, if the Vols had TN Tech, Bowling Green, Pitt and South Alabama on the schedule last year, they'd have won more than 3 games. Let's get some conference wins against teams not named South Carolina, Missouri or Vanderbilt. I like what I'm seeing but I want to see more.
Tune in October 16th. And let the 12th man wreak havoc one one of the most undisciplined teams in the SEC this season.

How many time have I heard that question before?
1 Kiffin
2 Dooley
3 Jones
4 Beldar
5 Heupel

only 6 games into the season

If it comes to it then you pay him... but more than that you give him support to build a winner. You create an environment where he can be happy with what he's doing and who he's working with. Some people will leave a job for money. Almost all people start looking for a job because of something other than money. If money is a consideration, often it is more a matter of feeling disrespected or underappreciated than actually considering personal market value.

Good God! He's won four games (two cupcakes and two walking wounded) and he's the second coming of General Neyland? I hope he is, but until he's nailed the hides of Bama, Florida, and Georgia on the wall, call me unpersuaded.

Remember when people were worried about Alabama coming to steal Pruitt after Saban retires? Things change. It's WAY too early to worry about losing Heupel.

VN Store

Back