The problem isn't whether Heupel is our future, but how do we retain him?

OK so I am bought in with what he has done so far but remember how ignorant the Butch to Michigan, Dooley is the heir to UGA, Pruitt back to Bama conversations were. Obviously Lane back to Southern Cal does not help my case but let the guy coach a couple seasons, make sure the level of hype and success can be maintained and then back the brinks truck up.

Stop this nonsense. It's waaaay too early to make that kind of call. Heupel MAY be the guy. He has to beat UGA, UF, or Bama at some point before he can be THE guy.
Agree, I like most of what I see but let’s not anoint CJH just yet

1*j-o_xZcmtEBmydGZEICnSA.jpeg

Reactions: NCFisher and Lurker
I firmly believe that CJH believes he won life’s lottery with landing this job, especially considering that it came with the benefit of AD White. All he has to do is is job, establish his culture, and trust his system. He has everything else he could possibly need to become elite in the modern game.

An SEC blue blood program, some of the finest facilities in the game, a fan base second to none, tradition & winning track-record, an identifiable brand, a long term contract, and a commitment from an AD he trusts and who trusts him....why would he go anywhere else? Where else could he find that combination of attributes?

OK so I am bought in with what he has done so far but remember how ignorant the Butch to Michigan, Dooley is the heir to UGA, Pruitt back to Bama conversations were. Obviously Lane back to Southern Cal does not help my case but let the guy coach a couple seasons, make sure the level of hype and success can be maintained and then back the brinks truck up.
Lane is the reason Tennessee fans are scared of us being a stepping stone. In all honesty only a handful of programs Kiffin would’ve left Tennessee for. In absolute brutal honesty likely Kiffin would’ve been run out of town like he was everywhere else he just didn’t have enough time to get himself fired. His one ticket to fame here was that he almost beat Bama.

He beat Mizzou and SC, not IGA and......
When do we play IGA, is that after Krogers and before Food Lions ...." I jest, I jest, .... I just could not help myself! It just popped into my head.
... and Alabama. Not saying he isn’t the man, but he is signed through 2027. We got a bit of time to watch the team and him before we gotta break out the check book.

Now, if he is challenging for the SEC East in the next 24-36 months, then pay him. But it doesn’t need to happen nine months In.
FIFY
Sorry, but I think the crux of the matter is the investigation that is hung up in limbo/neutral/paperwork. That is the straitjacket for which JH (and coaches) needs a Houdini act.
Once that is resolved .... we can talk about 'retaining' till then it is ... maintain "status quo." [see National Treasure.]

Reactions: willinhf
First failed 3rd down conversion on Saturday and there will be threads on firing him and hiring a proven winner.

Reactions: Voltopia
Stop this nonsense. It's waaaay too early to make that kind of call. Heupel MAY be the guy. He has to beat UGA, UF, or Bama at some point before he can be THE guy.
He still has to prove more... agreed.

But I feel better about him as a coach and leader than I have anyone in a LONG time. I was pretty soured on Fulmer as a leader by the time he started having poor results on the field.

If he wins a lot and you pay him, I don't see him leaving. He's a great cultural fit. Much like Ferentz at Iowa. Great program, great tradition, great chance to win every year. He's off to a good start.

First, too soon. He hasn't done anything yet. (tho I like what iI see)

Second, UT has proven they are willing to pay for a winning coach.
He's actually done a lot!
-He's hired a competent if not great staff that is getting more belief and effort out of leftover players, players that had the guts to take the harder road.
-How about that DC hire?! Everyone was concerned about the defense and they're playing great!
- He's changed our offense and is scoring points like we haven't seen probably ever since " up the middle in a cloud of dust" actually worked in the SEC!
-Do you not notice the change of culture on this team?! They are playing for each other and on both sides of the ball FOR 60 Minutes!!!!
- It appears we now have a coach that IS developing players, right before our eyes!
- We don't see as many blown coverages or dumb mistakes, even penalties were better last week, but we did have an SEC crew, ACC crew sucked bad!
- Have we ever scored 28 1st quarter points to start two consecutive conference games? I don't remember if we ever have!
- He also speaks intelligently and doesn't spew worthless slogans.
- He seems to me to have high football IQ, his results appear to show that.
All in all, I like what I'm seeing and where this team is going, and so will recruits. But, we probably don't have the depth to compete with top SEC teams this year. We're playing 3rd stringers and walk-ons already! Give him some recruits and it'll be going up up and up!

Reactions: Titan&Volfan4life
It's not necessarily nonsense if it has not been proven otherwise... but I agree it's a bit early to be singing Huepel's praises. If we beat KY and Ole Miss Vandy and Southern Alabama, I will be very high on him. Play Georgia and Bama tightly... extremely high on him. Get 6 or 7 wins, I will be happy and looking forward to the next season.

I see a pattern here, anytime a new coach has a marginal amount of success why do we rush to judge the guy as the next coming of Neyland. Pump the brakes. Mike Hamilton liked giving extensions for mediocre results, i hope this guy doesn't make the same mistakes.

Reactions: Voltopia
We've had some success and have looked way better than I thought at this point. But, we are gonna have some issues in next 4 games. Mostly injuries is what I expect and resulting losses. That doesn't mean we or CJH sucks, it just means we are thin still. I heard somewhere that we only dressed 61 players Saturday!! That won't beat Bama, , GA or maybe this KY team. We have better chance against Ole Miss if defense can take control!

VN Store

Back