The problem isn't whether Heupel is our future, but how do we retain him?

I've been a Vol fan since the 90's because I love "Smokey" the dog. I can't believe the improvement under Heupel. With JUCOS, transfers, and a varied collection of lower rated players, he has created a fun football team to watch. They don't quit and appear to love football again. Even the Pitt and Florida games were entertaining. And I am not a coach hater. I think Dooley, Butch, and Cornbread were all good options at the time. Sometimes you have to throw a lot of personnel at the wall to find the best. That's how Peyton emerged. What do most fans do? They blow air.

We will retain him for as long as we want. There were people clamoring how can we retain Phil Fulmer - when no one else really wanted him. It's too early, but we have not had a problem retaining any of the coaches that we really like and appreciate. You can see the answer to your question by looking at our basketball and baseball coaches. Were we able to retain them ??????

Here is the big question. What would make Heupel “the guy”? Would it be a win over UF, UGA or Bama? A SECE title? A SEC title? A NC?

As far as retaining him? Doubt we have to worry about that right now. One big reason is Danny White. They have a great relationship and White signed Heupel for at least 5 years. Now I will admit, I am a little worried about hearing the dreaded extension talks. Not saying it’s gonna happen anytime soon, but IMO, no TN coach should ever get an extension until they can prove multiple years of success.

💡 Bondage??!!

I saw this movie once and I think I can replicate the knots. We can tie him to a chair and pour cold water on him. Hmmm - splash dance or something.

The main problem is the NCAA!
Until penalties are known, AND SERVED, its going to be hard to keep him because many will want him fired with a few inevitable losses due to penalties and damage on recruiting. Facts
Nonsense! All that happened under Pruitt, every one knows that

The main problem is the NCAA!
Until penalties are known, AND SERVED, its going to be hard to keep him because many will want him fired with a few inevitable losses due to penalties and damage on recruiting. Facts

the main problem is Tennessee administration!. NCAA has not had an opportunity yet. That is still to come, someday.

Admin has Heupel chained up in a cell. Anyone criticizing the recruiting (I know you're not) just doesn't understand how tied up he is. No one in any profession can sell the unknown.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
Where is OU's coach going? Riley has to be at least 3 years younger than Heupel.

Once again we find out that we're in the wrong business. Jimmy Sexton's got 25% of every fan base chirping in the AD's ear wanting to sink millions into coaches on a whim. It's amazing to me that men who showed intelligence earning their millions will pressure their school's Athletic Department to throw it away in a fashion that would have gotten them fired from their real job. I'm not sure how you fix this. It's already created free agency in college football. I guess its just like spending a fortune on a supercar and wrapping it around a tree. Sheesh.

He beat Mizzou and SC, not IGA and Alabama. Not saying he isn’t the man, but he is signed through 2027. We got a bit of time to watch the team and him before we gotta break out the check book.

Now, if he is challenging for the SEC East in the next 24-36 months, then pay him. But it doesn’t need to happen nine months I.

Here is what I like. I’ve not heard him complain about scholarships, player got to grow up and the 10 other excuses all the other coaches had. Seems like a good staff. If we lose people will be upset. If he can build and get a few years I think he will be good. We will have to recruit good though. I’ve been curious to which players will be here next year to help us advance. Also need to keep staff. Been a Vols fan all my life win or lose. Go Vols

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
Whoa there fella. He smoked 2 of the 3 worst teams in the SEC. Offense is night and day better but go 3-1 or 2-2 in these next 4 and we'll start sacrificing goats in his honor

Wasn't something like this posted right after The Gump beat Auburn?

Stop this nonsense. It's waaaay too early to make that kind of call. Heupel MAY be the guy. He has to beat UGA, UF, or Bama at some point before he can be THE guy.
Totally agree. I remember when we were scared of Bama stealing Pruitt. Georgia stealing Dooley. Butch going to…. Well hell no one was going to take Butch. 😂

The entire thread is based on an error in understanding Josh Heupel.

There is no challenge retaining him. He is as at home in Knoxville as anywhere in FBS football. He is home. He's settled. He's in his dream job.

There's no Power 5 program in South Dakota, Josh's home state. There's no FBS program. I don't know who he grew up rooting for. I don't know if he was a college football kid, or an NFL kid. I don't know if "His Team" was the Minnesota Vikings or the South Dakota State Jackrabbits (FCS).

I can guess with some confidence that it wasn't Oklahoma. Josh had no ties to Oklahoma before transferring there his junior year of college.

Not only that -- sure, he got his coaching start at Oklahoma thanks to Bob Stoops, but that was the same Bob Stoops who hung Josh out to dry after a bad season (2014), one where the offense Josh was in charge of performed admirably, but the defense under Bob Stoops' brother let the team down. Josh was made the fall guy because Bob wouldn't fire a family member.

So don't think of Josh Heupel as similar to Johnny Majors at Pitt, just waiting for the chance to come home to Tennessee. There is NO similarity there. Josh isn't an Oklahoma guy.

He's a Tennessee guy. For life, if we'll have him. And as great as he's doing so far in his first season, we'll be blessed to.

Stop worrying about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Titan&Volfan4life
First, too soon. He hasn't done anything yet. (tho I like what iI see)

Second, UT has proven they are willing to pay for a winning coach.

VN Store

Back