The problem isn't whether Heupel is our future, but how do we retain him?

claimjumper steve

I've been a Vol fan since the 90's because I love "Smokey" the dog. I can't believe the improvement under Heupel. With JUCOS, transfers, and a varied collection of lower rated players, he has created a fun football team to watch. They don't quit and appear to love football again. Even the Pitt and Florida games were entertaining. And I am not a coach hater. I think Dooley, Butch, and Cornbread were all good options at the time. Sometimes you have to throw a lot of personnel at the wall to find the best. That's how Peyton emerged. What do most fans do? They blow air.

I've been a Vol fan since the 90's because I love "Smokey" the dog. I can't believe the improvement under Heupel. With JUCOS, transfers, and a varied collection of lower rated players, he has created a fun football team to watch. They don't quit and appear to love football again. Even the Pitt and Florida games were entertaining. And I am not a coach hater. I think Dooley, Butch, and Cornbread were all good options at the time. Sometimes you have to throw a lot of personnel at the wall to find the best. That's how Peyton emerged. What do most fans do? They blow air.
rounders-teddykgb.gif

Y'all probably think I am a "sunshine pumper". But the tempo of play and the lack of stupid mistakes is a great improvement. I'm not basing my evaluation on the number of games won. We might win 6, or 7 , or 8. The bottom line is how these payers improve. I'm tired of the Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Georgia monopolies. They can recruit 10 star players for all I care. I love effort and playing to one's abilities. Go Vols!

CJH has a lot of work to do before he proves he's the guy. So this convo is silly to have at this point.

If he does end up being the guy, keeping him will be very simple. Danny White and he have a strong relationship. UT is a top program when it gets rolling. The only person that would jump from UT to somewhere else is an immature douchebag aka Lane Kiffin 12 years ago.

People here have said that about every coach since Kiffin left. Dooley was going to Ga, Butch to Mi, Pruitt to Al, I mean seriously.

CJH has a lot of positive things going right now but can we please stop it with this silliness. Let him win something meaningful first. Beating Ole Miss at home this weekend would be a nice start.

C'mon. Dude coaches Tennessee to wins over two of the three worst teams in the SEC this year and people just fall over themselves to hand away money.

If Heupel is worth the money then Tennessee can pay him when the time comes. Part of the magic of being a big time college program. If he performs to the level of earning a big pay raise, Tennessee will be raking in dough. We should be so lucky as to have the dilemma of having to throw a big increase at him to keep him.

IMO, it doesn’t matter. If he does well enough to where big programs are trying to snatch him away from us, then we are in a great position to hire whoever we want. It’s been way too long since schools actually wanted our coaches.

Reactions: Voltopia
The main problem is the NCAA!
Until penalties are known, AND SERVED, its going to be hard to keep him because many will want him fired with a few inevitable losses due to penalties and damage on recruiting. Facts

Reactions: 08Vol and TJSVOLS
Stop it. Stop it NOW!

Let’s just play the season. Hopefully there are more Saturdays to enjoy. He didn’t come here to this $hit show of malfunction to bolt. The last 3 guys have killed their career here. He’s here to do a job. Relax.

Well we should win more than beating 2 lower rung sec teams. That Pruitt extension on 6 game winning streak against largely losing teams didn’t age well.

Reactions: Tnwoodsman
Well we should win more than beating 2 lower rung sec teams. That Pruitt extension on 6 game winning streak against largely losing teams didn’t age well.

Pruitt teams were saved by the players. The same pitiful coaching decisions (allowing JG to throw in the red zone, etc) were being made. I never bought into the 2019 season as a sign of resurgence.

Lordy, are we gonna get one of these every evening? We are paying this fine fellow several million per year with a 5+ year guaranteed salary. We are supporting our coach. I for one am so far very happy with CJH. But can we please stop this "give the man an extension" talk when half the season is behind us? Now, you go beat Ole Miss, Ky, and play even close to competitive with UGA or Bama for 3 quarters, then we can revisit this notion. Slow your roll (unless you are personally willing to fund an extension)

No fanbase overreacts to every little thing like ours. A brand new coach wins back-to-back games against the bottom quartile of SEC teams, and our fans start panicking about the coach leaving for greener pastures. Get a grip! Let’s see if he can win any more meaningful games and if he can recruit.

Reactions: Doberman

VN Store

Back