The One Thing That I Can't Get Out Of My Mind About The Passing Game

JG knows where he’s going with the ball before it’s snapped a good portion of the time. He never surveys the field. Chaney did fine with the calls, Oline did fine with the protection, wrs did fine with getting open and taking the ball away from defenders even. JG just cannot see the field right now.
Just as JG knows where he's going with the ball before it's snapped, the opposing backfield knows where he's going with the ball before it's thrown .... waaaayyy before

BYU played our wide outs man to man and fairly up on them. All it took was a good move to get by them and there was no one close by to give support. Palmer made a move on a deep ball, beat his man by five yards, looked back for the ball to drop into his hands and off to the end zone. The pass was thrown fifteen yards off target to the outside. This was either a bad throw or miscommunication between Palmer and JG.

We only tried that ONE TIME. It was open the entire game. A good juke and move and no defensive safety to help cover as he was watching for the run. You can't tell me our receivers couldn't beat the BYU corners day in and day out for long gains. Either no confidence we could make a long throw or afraid the O-Line couldn't protect....which they did. I'm still stupefied over this.
combine that with we didn't even try it ONE time against Georgia , with a known week secondary

Reactions: amorange
It was the corner who got burned, not the safety. By the time Warrior got to him it was too late for PI.
Only because he slowed to correct his angle to be in position to make the tackle.....which he whiffed! IMO, he could have arrived early or at least when the ball arrived.

I am going to play devil's advocate here.............how many OCs has he gone through? all have "their" way of doing things.
OCs have nothing to do with being able to read defenses and lead receivers. That's something that you have to do in any offense

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
BYU played our wide outs man to man and fairly up on them. All it took was a good move to get by them and there was no one close by to give support. Palmer made a move on a deep ball, beat his man by five yards, looked back for the ball to drop into his hands and off to the end zone. The pass was thrown fifteen yards off target to the outside. This was either a bad throw or miscommunication between Palmer and JG.

We only tried that ONE TIME. It was open the entire game. A good juke and move and no defensive safety to help cover as he was watching for the run. You can't tell me our receivers couldn't beat the BYU corners day in and day out for long gains. Either no confidence we could make a long throw or afraid the O-Line couldn't protect....which they did. I'm still stupefied over this.

If it was open all game and we only tried it once then that's bad coaching.

So who is to believe this coaching staff when they say JG is the best QB we have?

I'm not buying it. These coaches are laughable. And someone needs to lose their job over this.

Josh Palmer juked the defender so much that he fell down and was wide open. JG threw it into triple coverage for an interception. I want him to do well, but will echo what many others are saying. He has regressed this year for whatever reason, in my opinion.

Pretty sure it’s because they’ve put more on him in terms pre-snap reads and progressions. It’s too much for him. I expect they are now simplifying things in advance of FLA

It was the corner who got burned, not the safety. By the time Warrior got to him it was too late for PI.

True, but he completely whiffed on the tackle. Warrior is proving to be a liability. I'd pull him from the lineup and try someone else. He just doesn't make plays.

Reactions: screenthis
He's only had 3 seasons to get it down lol. Not happening. Good kid. Terrible QB
He's only had 3 seasons to get it down lol. Not happening. Good kid. Terrible QB

Nope he will never get it, Chaney was hired we all hoped he could improve JG......its not happening he can fill stat sheet but can't lead the team to w's

I am going to play devil's advocate here.............how many OCs has he gone through? all have "their" way of doing things.

There was an article about JG running Chaney's offense in summer after spring practice, he was saying all the off season fluff stuff how this offense was tailored for him to check
to another play where he was too limited what he could do with Helton's offense...……..well we're waiting

Nope he will never get it, Chaney was hired we all hoped he could improve JG......its not happening he can fill stat sheet but can't lead the team to w's
Right. Originally thought it was because the Oline was horrid, but now we see it was a combination of the Oline and JG just not having the tools and ability to be a SEC caliber QB.

I too (as did a million others) saw open receivers, yet JG would not, throw the ball. Either he couldn't see the open man, or knew he just didn't have the arm to make the throw. Palmer should have been able to pull down 10 more that were never thrown, JG's "Football vision" is just not there, and he lacks the ability to pull the trigger quickly enough to make a difference. I don't know how a receiver adjusts for a QB that is afraid to pass the ball.

I have to say that, having watched the highlights and lowlights a few times, yes, JG was off several times...late, no touch, off-course, etc. but our receivers have to beat man/press coverage. Think of how Seattle shut down the Broncos' passing game in Super Bowl XLVIII. They completely shut down their receivers by playing way up and tight,

At some point, somebody has to just tell our receivers "GET OPEN" and they have to do it. JG's receivers, from what I saw, didn't really help him a lot of times. Without Jennings' two crazy catches, score would have been 29-12, as odd as that seems. Football is about beating the guy in front of you, the guy trying to stop you from doing what you want to do. Our receivers didn't do that very often against BYU.

This isn't against you but we've heard it before about the completion % and the QB efficiency but what other statistics are he filling up?

Passing Yards - no
TDs - no
Total completions - no
Completions over 25 yards - no
300 yard games - no
Total offense - no

Other than that I believe k-town king found an irrelevant statistic without other key statistics around it.

They were playing deep thirds with three safeties. Taylor was one of them and he got burned badly.

They were playing cover 3 all night- We ran 4 verticals against it and were open a majority of the time. JG could not make the play either did not throw and elected underneath into traffic or threw behind the receiver. Plain and simple, throws I bet either one of our frosh COULD make. Fault Pruitt for not having the balls to give him the hook !!

Pretty sure it’s because they’ve put more on him in terms pre-snap reads and progressions. It’s too much for him. I expect they are now simplifying things in advance of FLA
Probably, and, since almost by definition things would have to have been simplified for one of the freshmen to play, the question "Why didn't one of the freshmen get a shot" needs to be answered with a real answer and not the 'he's better in practice' routine

I am sure it was called more than that...but the QB checked down.

Reactions: lifeVol
I'm beginning to wonder if JG's confidence is so low that Pruitt's afraid to bench the kid, else our backup QB's are so horrible it's not even up for conversation, your choice?

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
We may not even score a td against fla. if jg still qb. They gona stack the line and dare him to throw. And stacking the line will stop most any rb.
Why wouldn’t they stack the line. They have seen the games and know the qb. I remember a Bama game when Battle vowed to stop Bear’s wishbone by stacking the line with 8 or 9. We stuffed the first play, second one they threw over the top for 80 yard td. Beat us 28-6. Until proven wrong I believe JG is THE problem with this offense. I am willing to be proven wrong.

Reactions: BreatheUT
He’s keyed in on the primary receiver running a crossing route here (again) . He should see that they were again in cover 3 and the FS is in the play with LBs underneath. They were in Cover 3 all night. He should’ve known he couldn’t make that throw . Not then, not next game, not ****ing ever. It’s not there .
He doesn’t even look right and actually this time making the check down is the right decision or going to Palmer on the sideline whose defender has already slipped.

Now you can say that this is just one instance and that I’m cherry picking, but it’s not. This is just another example of JG not seeing the defense. He never looks comfortable out there. You could even tell when Chryst came in last year, he at least looked more settled . I think it’s a lights problem for JG. When the lights are on he just freezes up . He needs to just go play and not think.
4092CBA3-2922-4B23-8119-E8D1AF30BDAC.jpeg

Reactions: GTBATV
just roll JG out of the pocket...he's more comfortable that way...

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT THE MOCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only reason Pruitt is being so stubborn about JG is Harrison Bailey...in my opinion. Feel free to differ.

If either of the backups come in, earn the starting job, and succeed it will hurt our chances of landing Bailey. Neither one of the backups may be better than JG, but CJP cannot take a chance that they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: G8rh8r

VN Store

Back