The Official Western Carolina @ Tennessee Game Thread (Tues. April 23 6PM EST) (SECNET+)

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
Western Carolina Catamounts
(21-16) Overall (6-6) SOCON

1713742655189.jpeg
@
Tennessee Volunteers
(33-7) Overall (12-6) SEC
1713742808534.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn.
– Coming off a thrilling top-five series win at Kentucky over the weekend, No. 3/3 Tennessee returns home to begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday night when it welcomes Western Carolina to Lindsey Nelson Stadium. The Volunteers will look to remain unbeaten in midweek games this season, as they enter Tuesday's contest with a perfect 10-0 mark.

BROADCAST INFO

Tuesday's game will be streamed live on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app as Myan Patel (PxP) and Caylan Arnold (analyst) will be on the call.

Fans can also listen to John Wilkerson and Vine Ferrara call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990). A free audio stream will also be available on UTSports.com, the Tennessee Athletics App and the Varsity App.

PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS

LHP Dylan Loy (2 GS, 1-0, 1.59 ERA) vs. RHP Spenser Hamblen (6 GS, 2-3, 8.75 ERA)

SERIES HISTORY

Overall: Tennessee leads, 26-7
in Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 19-4
in Cullowhee: Tennessee leads, 6-3
at Neutral Sites: Tennessee leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: W, 7-0 – March 21, 2023 in Knoxville

The Vols have won their last nine meetings against the Catamounts, including six straight in Knoxville.

NOTABLE

CMo Is Mashing
Junior infielder Christian Moore is having an SEC Player of the Year type season and continued his impressive campaign last weekend during UT's road series win in Lexington. Entering this week, Moore leads the team and ranks fifth in the SEC with a career-best 19 home runs after hitting four against the Wildcats over the weekend, including a program-record tying three in Sunday's series finale.

The Brooklyn, New York, native, has arguably been the best hitter in the SEC during conference play, leading the league in hits (33), home runs (13) and RBIs (28). With his three-homer day on Sunday, Moore also overtook Blake Burke as Tennessee's career home run leader with 46.

Moore was named the SEC Player of the Week for the second time this season and was also tabbed the D1Baseball.com and Perfect Game National Player of the Week on Monday afternoon.

Raking on Rocky Top
The Vols boast one of, if not the best lineup in all of college baseball this year. Coming into Tuesday's contest, UT ranks among the top 10 nationally in the following offensive categories:

Stat (National Rank)
Batting Average: .330 (4)
Doubles: 105 (3)
Hits: 444 (10)
Home Runs: 111 (1)
Home Runs/Game: 2.78 (1)
On-Base Pct: .435 (8)
Runs: 415 (1)
Runs/Game: 10.4 (2)
Slugging Pct: .659 (1)

Sundays Are for the Vols
Tennessee has played some of its best baseball on Sundays this season. With a 13-11 win at Kentucky, the Big Orange improved to 9-1 in Sunday games this year, including 4-1 in SEC rubber games. Under head coach Tony Vitello, the Vols are an impressive 17-10 overall in rubber games, including a 16-9 mark in conference play.

OPPONENT SCOUT

Western Carolina Catamounts (21-16, 6-6 SoCon)
  • Head Coach: Alan Beck (2nd season)
  • 2023 Record: 21-33 (8-12 SoCon)
  • 2023 Postseason: N/A
  • 2024 SoCon Preseason Poll: 4th
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (3):
    • RHP Gavin Mortenson (1st Team)
    • 1B James Hinson (2nd Team)
    • OF Cole Jones (2nd Team)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Zach Ketterman (.357)
    • Runs: Nate Stocum (43)
    • Hits: Trent Turner (51)
    • Home Runs: Nate Stocum (16)
    • RBI: Nate Stocum (45)
    • Stolen Bases: Kyle Riesselmann (7)
    • Wins: Dusty Revis (5)
    • Saves: Jonathan Todd (6)
    • ERA (min. 15 IP): Jonathan Todd (3.16)
    • WHIP (min. 15 IP): Jonathan Todd (0.94)
    • Innings Pitched: Gavin Mortenson (41.1)
    • Strikeouts: Gavin Mortenson (39)

ON DECK

The Vols will have a quick turnaround for their home series against Missouri, which begins on Thursday night at 7:30 p.m. on the SEC Network. Game two is slated for a 6:30 p.m. start on Friday night and the series finale against the Tigers is scheduled for noon on Saturday.

Last edited:
Hahaha Jesus. Must’ve been a locked away memory. I was only 6 years old that year. But my dad and uncle have always followed the team as best they could so I’m sure I heard them ranting about it and just stowed that away 🤷‍♂️
Fat fingered should have been 2008 & 2010 but not in their house ...my bad

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Western Carolina coach now was here with Todd Raleigh. So, me thinks there is some bad blood about us going through his veins.

I'm thinking brawl in 4th inning! LOL

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
We played them in Cullowhee in 2021 in a back and forth game we only won by a couple, but if I remember right it was a bit of a clown show as far as game production and umpire wise.

Probably why we don't do road midweeks hardly at all.

Reactions: StarRaider
Western Carolina Catamounts
(21-16) Overall (6-6) SOCON

View attachment 635919
@
Tennessee Volunteers
(33-7) Overall (12-6) SEC
View attachment 635920

KNOXVILLE, Tenn.
– Coming off a thrilling top-five series win at Kentucky over the weekend, No. 3/3 Tennessee returns home to begin a five-game homestand on Tuesday night when it welcomes Western Carolina to Lindsey Nelson Stadium. The Volunteers will look to remain unbeaten in midweek games this season, as they enter Tuesday's contest with a perfect 10-0 mark.

BROADCAST INFO

Tuesday's game will be streamed live on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app as Myan Patel (PxP) and Caylan Arnold (analyst) will be on the call.

Fans can also listen to John Wilkerson and Vine Ferrara call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990). A free audio stream will also be available on UTSports.com, the Tennessee Athletics App and the Varsity App.

PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS

LHP Dylan Loy (2 GS, 1-0, 1.59 ERA) vs. RHP Spenser Hamblen (6 GS, 2-3, 8.75 ERA)

SERIES HISTORY

Overall: Tennessee leads, 26-7
in Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 19-4
in Cullowhee: Tennessee leads, 6-3
at Neutral Sites: Tennessee leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: W, 7-0 – March 21, 2023 in Knoxville

The Vols have won their last nine meetings against the Catamounts, including six straight in Knoxville.

NOTABLE

CMo Is Mashing
Junior infielder Christian Moore is having an SEC Player of the Year type season and continued his impressive campaign last weekend during UT's road series win in Lexington. Entering this week, Moore leads the team and ranks fifth in the SEC with a career-best 19 home runs after hitting four against the Wildcats over the weekend, including a program-record tying three in Sunday's series finale.

The Brooklyn, New York, native, has arguably been the best hitter in the SEC during conference play, leading the league in hits (33), home runs (13) and RBIs (28). With his three-homer day on Sunday, Moore also overtook Blake Burke as Tennessee's career home run leader with 46.

Moore was named the SEC Player of the Week for the second time this season and was also tabbed the D1Baseball.com and Perfect Game National Player of the Week on Monday afternoon.

Raking on Rocky Top
The Vols boast one of, if not the best lineup in all of college baseball this year. Coming into Tuesday's contest, UT ranks among the top 10 nationally in the following offensive categories:

Stat (National Rank)
Batting Average: .330 (4)
Doubles: 105 (3)
Hits: 444 (10)
Home Runs: 111 (1)
Home Runs/Game: 2.78 (1)
On-Base Pct: .435 (8)
Runs: 415 (1)
Runs/Game: 10.4 (2)
Slugging Pct: .659 (1)

Sundays Are for the Vols
Tennessee has played some of its best baseball on Sundays this season. With a 13-11 win at Kentucky, the Big Orange improved to 9-1 in Sunday games this year, including 4-1 in SEC rubber games. Under head coach Tony Vitello, the Vols are an impressive 17-10 overall in rubber games, including a 16-9 mark in conference play.

OPPONENT SCOUT

Western Carolina Catamounts (21-16, 6-6 SoCon)
  • Head Coach: Alan Beck (2nd season)
  • 2023 Record: 21-33 (8-12 SoCon)
  • 2023 Postseason: N/A
  • 2024 SoCon Preseason Poll: 4th
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (3):
    • RHP Gavin Mortenson (1st Team)
    • 1B James Hinson (2nd Team)
    • OF Cole Jones (2nd Team)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Zach Ketterman (.357)
    • Runs: Nate Stocum (43)
    • Hits: Trent Turner (51)
    • Home Runs: Nate Stocum (16)
    • RBI: Nate Stocum (45)
    • Stolen Bases: Kyle Riesselmann (7)
    • Wins: Dusty Revis (5)
    • Saves: Jonathan Todd (6)
    • ERA (min. 15 IP): Jonathan Todd (3.16)
    • WHIP (min. 15 IP): Jonathan Todd (0.94)
    • Innings Pitched: Gavin Mortenson (41.1)
    • Strikeouts: Gavin Mortenson (39)

ON DECK

The Vols will have a quick turnaround for their home series against Missouri, which begins on Thursday night at 7:30 p.m. on the SEC Network. Game two is slated for a 6:30 p.m. start on Friday night and the series finale against the Tigers is scheduled for noon on Saturday.
Updated GBO

We played them in Cullowhee in 2021 in a back and forth game we only won by a couple, but if I remember right it was a bit of a clown show as far as game production and umpire wise.

Probably why we don't do road midweeks hardly at all.

Western has a beautiful campus and location. You just don't want to be there watching an outdoor sporting event in November or early spring. Coldest I've ever been

I wish i knew If run rule was in effect before I make my pick em selection. I assume CTV will play a lot of reserves tonight.

VN Store

Back