The Official Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt Game Thread, 6:30 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
Tennessee Volunteers: 14-11 (6-6 SEC)

5d39042d-ab2b-4565-9725-57ae9dd56ae2-USATSI_14047726.jpg

vs.

Vanderbilt Commodores: 9-16 (1-11 SEC)

EQ3S7Y8U4AA2tBI

GAME 26 | TENNESSEE vs. VANDERBILT - Feb. 18, 2020 | 6:31 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena (21,678)

Line: UT -12.5
O/U: 135.5

TV: SEC Network / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
XM: 374 / Internet: 374
Online: WatchESPN app

Vanderbilt Game Notes

s4I6J3xt

Last edited:
THE SERIES
• Tennessee leads the all-time series with Vanderbilt, 123-75, dating to 1922. This is the 199th meeting.
• The Vols own a 72-20 edge when the series is played in Knoxville and have won two straight against Vandy at Thompson-Boling Arena.
• Tennessee has won seven of the last eight meetings in this series, including each of the last five.

STORYLINES
• Just 181 miles separate UT's Thompson-Boling Arena and Vanderbilt's Memorial Gymnasium.
• Vols freshman Josiah-Jordan James and injured Vanderbilt guard Aaron Nesmith were AAU and high school varsity teammates for four years at Porter-Gaud School in their hometown of Charleston, South Carolina.
• James returned Saturday from a four-game injury absence (groin). In 30 minutes of action in his first collegiate action in his home state of South Carolina, he totaled nine points, five assists and two blocks.
• During SEC play, freshmen account for 40.0 percent of Tennessee's total minutes played. And in Saturday's loss at South Carolina, freshmen logged 46.0 percent of Tennessee's total minutes played.
• With 173 career 3-point makes, senior Jordan Bowden ranks 10th on Tennessee's all-time list.

LAYUP LINES
• Tennessee ranks fourth nationally in average home attendance, drawing 18,812 fans per game this season.
• During SEC play, Tennessee leads the league in blocks (6.2 bpg, which ranks sixth in Division I) and owns the conference's best scoring defense (65.2 ppg).
• SEC Defensive Player of the Year candidate Yves Pons has blocked at least one shot in every game this season. He leads the SEC and ranks 18th nationally with 2.6 bpg. His 2.8 bpg during SEC play also leads the league.
• Freshman point guard Santiago Vescovi has made at least one 3-pointer in every game in which he's appeared (13), averaging 2.2 made threes per game.
• Barring injury or illness, senior guard Jordan Bowden will finish his career in the top five on Tennessee's list for career games played. Tuesday will be the 127th game in which he's appeared.
• Tennessee ranks third among Division I teams in assist percentage, having assisted on 64.1 percent of its field goals this season.

ABOUT VANDERBILT
• Vanderbilt arrives in Knoxville off three consecutive losses in SEC play. Those defeats follow the Commodores' signature win of the year when they took down LSU inside Memorial Gym on Feb. 5. LSU was undefeated in SEC play going into that contest.
• Since losing the SEC's leading scorer, Aaron Nesmith, in January, the Commodores have continued to see increased production from the backcourt duo of Saben Lee and Scotty Pippen Jr. Lee and Pippen Jr. currently rank first and second on the team in scoring, assists and steals.
• Lee's team-leading 17.2 ppg also ranks sixth in the SEC, while his 18.8 ppg in conference action ranks fifth in the league. Lee also sits inside the top 10 in the SEC and leads the Commodores in both assists (sixth with 4.4 apg) and steals (seventh with 1.6 spg).
• Pippen Jr. has been a solid backcourt complement to Lee, averaging 11.3 ppg, 3.8 apg and 1.0 spg, all of which rank second on the team.
• First-year head coach Jerry Stackhouse looks to bring Vanderbilt its first victory in Knoxville since the 2016-17 season. A win on Tuesday would also end Tennessee's five game win-streak over the Dores.
• Vanderbilt's campus library system contains more than eight million items across 10 different libraries around Vanderbilt's campus and stands as one of the nation's top research libraries.

It would make their season to get revenge on TN for ending their 3-point streak. They'd love to end TN's chances of making the NCAAT short of winning the SECT. It could be a tough win. TN needs to end take them out early.
Vandy would be happy to shoot three 3 pointers:D The BasketVols will smoke Vanderbilt;)

Tennessee is probably going to overlook Vandy tonight and be in a dogfight till the bitter end......I wonder what this teams mentality is at this point in the season......

Reactions: RollerVol
Tennessee is probably going to overlook Vandy tonight and be in a dogfight till the bitter end......I wonder what this teams mentality is at this point in the season......

I think that TN will be ready. But I'm worried that Vandy will be highly motivated. TN needs to defend the 3 again and they probably would cruise to a win. If Vandy is hot, watch out. We'll struggle to keep up in a shoot out unless Fulk is on and Bowden pulls out of his slump.

I think that TN will be ready. But I'm worried that Vandy will be highly motivated. TN needs to defend the 3 again and they probably would cruise to a win. If Vandy is hot, watch out. We'll struggle to keep up in a shoot out unless Fulk is on and Bowden pulls out of his slump.
I hope so, would be an embarrassing loss if this Vandy team steals one in TBA.

Reactions: feathersax
• Vols freshman Josiah-Jordan James and injured Vanderbilt guard Aaron Nesmith were AAU and high school varsity teammates for four years at Porter-Gaud School in their hometown of Charleston, South Carolina.
Judging by the official posters thread, this designation could cause some conflict 😂

Beat 'em by 21 in the first game in one of Bowden's better offensive showings.

Think Fulkerson & Pons both are playing at a higher level than they were in January as well. Hoping James is closer to full health, I like our chances. I just hope we can get something from the bench in production this game.

Plav frustrates me... he isnt aggressive until after the whistle is blown! I wish we could toss it up to him and he just turn around and slam a couple

Ty for listening

VN Store

Back