The official TENNESSEE vs. usc yardbird thread

Congrats Bruce Pearl and the Vols!!! It’s the 23rd 20-win season in the program’s history and marks Bruce Pearl’s fifth consecutive 20-win season in Knoxville. It’s Pearl’s 17th 20-win season in 18 seasons as a head coach. BP even mentioned in his postgame about how important of a benchmark it is to continue building success in the program. Go Vols!

We never have had something this before, at least 20 wins, for five years in a row. I was at UT during the Ray Mears era, and while he was a great coach, his record was nothing like what we are seeing now.

I guess I cannot understand why so many Vol fans are down on BP. I think we should be thankful for what we have. We are not Kentucky, nor are we going to be Kentucky, just as Kentucky never is going to be UT in football. Given that set of facts, I think that we have done well holding our own over the past five years.

We never have had something this before, at least 20 wins, for five years in a row. I was at UT during the Ray Mears era, and while he was a great coach, his record was nothing like what we are seeing now.

I guess I cannot understand why so many Vol fans are down on BP. I think we should be thankful for what we have. We are not Kentucky, nor are we going to be Kentucky, just as Kentucky never is going to be UT in football. Given that set of facts, I think that we have done well holding our own over the past five years.

Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, and Ohio State fans are laughing at you.

Last edited:
Congrats Bruce Pearl and the Vols!!! It’s the 23rd 20-win season in the program’s history and marks Bruce Pearl’s fifth consecutive 20-win season in Knoxville. It’s Pearl’s 17th 20-win season in 18 seasons as a head coach. BP even mentioned in his postgame about how important of a benchmark it is to continue building success in the program. Go Vols!

I think he's around 80% wp or somewhere around it. Ill take that all day. The man can coach.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, and Ohio State fans are laughing at you.

And we laugh at ky fans in fb for losing and at fla fans even when winning. Any way you cut it we won 20 games 5 yrs in a row, that's progress. Is it enough to match what's been recently invested in the program? That's a good discussion I guess. But its progress. Vandy hasn't won any east crowns in fball but they're program is improving drastically.Funny or not, titles or not, we are much better off these 5 than the 5, or the 5, or the 5 before that!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I think I understand why. Mothers. The internet. Cheetos. Basements. Couches. Which of these was not around during the Mears years?

I just love opinions based on absolutely nothing with substance. Hi, my name is hohenfelsvol, and I'm going to hate JP and there's nothing you can say or do to stop me, so there.

Didn't say I hated him. Just said he wasn't the key to our success.

Didn't say I hated him. Just said he wasn't the key to our success.

Hey "Guru"...Maybe you should go read my original post I said "A" key not "The" Key....

If you dont think JP is "a" Key to our success than you know nothing about Basketball...besides what you see and watch...

JP is dominant around the boards, a good passer and hard to stop one on one...Besides Chism and Maze who else on this team is like that???

So again I would say he is a key to our success. I mean what makes you think otherwise?? and I want a good reason..not I just dont think he is?
Because if your going to say well he turns the ball over or he plays to aggressive on Defense when guarding a 3 point shooter...
Well I would say half this team turns the ball over pretty regularly and nobody has more steals than JP at times when we really need baskets! I would rather see JP play tough Defense and make silly fouls then watch Hopson allow his man to get around him or cut back door for an easy layup...

Hey "Guru"...Maybe you should go read my original post I said "A" key not "The" Key....

If you dont think JP is "a" Key to our success than you know nothing about Basketball...besides what you see and watch...

JP is dominant around the boards, a good passer and hard to stop one on one...Besides Chism and Maze who else on this team is like that???

So again I would say he is a key to our success. I mean what makes you think otherwise?? and I want a good reason..not I just dont think he is?
Because if your going to say well he turns the ball over or he plays to aggressive on Defense when guarding a 3 point shooter...
Well I would say half this team turns the ball over pretty regularly and nobody has more steals than JP at times when we really need baskets! I would rather see JP play tough Defense and make silly fouls then watch Hopson allow his man to get around him or cut back door for an easy layup...

So here we go:

This is based on figures I picked off of ESPN website for season totals: Tennessee College Basketball - Volunteers Statistics - Men's Basketball - ESPN

Prince is as follows:
MIN 4
FGM 4
FGA* 4
FTM 4
FTA 1
3PM 7
3PA 7
PTS 4
OFF 4
DEF 2
TOT 2
AST 1
TO 2
STL 1
BLK 5
PF 2

So, his where he ranks 1 or 2 is in Field Goal attempts Defensive Rebounds, Total Rebounds, Assists, turnovers, steals, and personal fouls.

Strengths: Rebounding, Steals and Assists.
Weakness: Numerous attempts, Turnovers, and Personal Fouls

Good player yes. Frustrating to watch at times, yes. Most frustrating parts is when the turnovers and personal fouls happen at key times during the games. Key player, very debatable. You and lidderer have made some points for but obviously have some emotional investment into why he is a key player. So, I'll leave it at that.

Attachments

• ut stats bball.xls
    28.5 KB · Views: 1
So here we go:
You and lidderer have made some points for but obviously have some emotional investment into why he is a key player. So, I'll leave it at that.

In what bizarro world did WE display emotional investment over simple numbers? Someone said he was a key, which he is, and you felt otherwise, so I offered you stats(using kenpom's much better indicators), then you said "my opinion will not waver!".

You've got the whole thing wrong, opinion included.

In what bizarro world did WE display emotional investment over simple numbers? Someone said he was a key, which he is, and you felt otherwise, so I offered you stats(using kenpom's much better indicators), then you said "my opinion will not waver!".

You've got the whole thing wrong, opinion included.

Class dismissed.

Just kidding. Well not really.

Your emotional investment was in defending JP pretty and getting pretty aggravated over it. I showed numbers to back up my posts. And in the end, I never said he wasn't a contributor to the the team, I just wrote he wasn't a "Key" to the success. So, run along now.

Just kidding. Well not really.

Your emotional investment was in defending JP pretty and getting pretty aggravated over it. I showed numbers to back up my posts. And in the end, I never said he wasn't a contributor to the the team, I just wrote he wasn't a "Key" to the success. So, run along now.

Any emotion displayed is borne out of the frustration of watching a vols fan be so insufferably stubborn and non-sensical.

You took exception to someone calling him 'key', then made no real explanation as to what you define AS key, and then basically pasted an espn stat list that was surrounded by no alternative 'key player' stat line. Plus you got your feathers ruffled because about 8 people called you out on your idiocy.

In short: of the various functioning parts of your body, the brain is neither 'the' key, nor 'a' key.

Any emotion displayed is borne out of the frustration of watching a vols fan be so insufferably stubborn and non-sensical.

You took exception to someone calling him 'key', then made no real explanation as to what you define AS key, and then basically pasted an espn stat list that was surrounded by no alternative 'key player' stat line. Plus you got your feathers ruffled because about 8 people called you out on your idiocy.

In short: of the various functioning parts of your body, the brain is neither 'the' key, nor 'a' key.

Too funny. Feathers ruffled? Pot meet kettle.

Yes I did paste ESPN stats. Were they inaccurate. And who stats did you use? Later, Key master.

rick-moranis-ghostbusters.jpg

Too funny. Feathers ruffled? Pot meet kettle.

Yes I did paste ESPN stats. Were they inaccurate. And who stats did you use? Later, Key master.

kenpom, which has built-in context.

So no real explanation of what qualifies as 'a key' player, huh? Just sort've a 'gut thing' I guess? What exactly is your criteria for 'a key player'? And who beyond chism fits that bill as much as prince and maze do?

VN Store

Back