The Official Tennessee vs. UNC Asheville Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network+

In light of the Uros news, Kent coming in with 3:00 left is extremely concerning. Complete bust?

I can’t say I’m impressed where this roster is currently. That Asheville team won 4 games last year.
I think ORN and Gaines have a lot of potential, but you sure don’t want to be depending on this this early.

When you got 10 scholarship players.....with one of them being Kent, and 4 of them being true freshman.........your going to “have” to depend on those freshman.

There simply isn’t any other options.

Then shame on Barnes for keeping him around. For as great as last year was and all the good recruiting, this is not the roster I expected in year five.
They are woefully thin in the post and this kid can’t even get in against a terrible mid major school.

He had two early entries into the draft, which hurt a ton. This isn’t Duke where those types of players are easily replaced.

Reactions: minorvol
I don't really believe that anyone who follows VOL hoops expected Kent to play a significant role this year. We have some talent on the roster but unfortunately Kent is not a player.
I know I never thought Kent was going to play meaningful minutes.

I don't really believe that anyone who follows VOL hoops expected Kent to play a significant role this year. We have some talent on the roster but unfortunately Kent is not a player.

I had heard “he looked good over the summer”

I think I also heard he was one of the most improved/impressive players.

Who knows what he will do (although him not even going in until the final 3 says a lot) however he seems to be more of a hinderance on the floor......even if to simply give fouls.

It’s simply going to be Fulky, Pons, Olivier, and Pember.

Reactions: Vols All Day
This is a building year, we knew that. Plasvic not getting eligible hurts us big time. That being said, Olivier and Gaines looked really good, and James doesn't look like he'll be a one and done. He should progress for sure, but he's not a one and done type player.

Also need Pember to get healthy, as I think he'll be really good as well.

This is a building year, we knew that. Plasvic not getting eligible hurts us big time. That being said, Olivier and Gaines looked really good, and James doesn't look like he'll be a one and done. He should progress for sure, but he's not a one and done type player.

Also need Pember to get healthy, as I think he'll be really good as well.

He didn't practice all pre-season. Give him time.

Edit: talking about JJJ

Overall, about what I expected to see. I think to be a top 25 team we’re going to need to see the freshman come along quickly, but like what I saw from them for the most part.

Turnovers are to be expected early on in the year, but I’d expect to see that get cleaned up as the season goes on. We weren’t running a ton of offense today, more one on one with Lemonte. Based on ricks postgame comments, didn’t seem too happy about lemonte and bowdens play. The rest of the upperclassmen played some of their best games I thought.

Side note, does anyone remember why walker transferred? Figured he’d be in line for some minutes this year.

He didn't practice all pre-season. Give him time.

Edit: talking about JJJ

Yea I wouldn’t be too concerned.
Tennessee had 4 players in double figures, Olivier had 7, Johnson had 8 and Gaines had 9........heck everybody simply can’t score a bunch.

He had 6 rebounds, a block, a couple of assists and a couple of points......he’s fine.

Kent wont be on the team next year. Thats why Barnes is going to oversign by 1 or even 2.
Barnes didn’t mention him at all in the presser and Barnes mentioned everyone but him. Kent should be researching his credits and the transfer portal right now.

Everything I've heard over the off season pointed to him being a contributor.

We had some bad luck with guys not working out .. Burns .. Walker .. Kent .. Blackshear .. Uros ... we shoulda hit the grad transfer harder .... so team really lacking a big presence ... guards are gonna have to carry team...and Turnovers are gonna happen when your guards have to start and finish .. so Barnes needs to get over that ... Turner and Bowden are gonna lead team in TO's .. for sure.

Kent seems very stiff and slow, he also is slow to react to things. Just looks so unnatural out there on the floor, reminds me of when John Snodgrass would get a minute or two under DeVoe
Snodgrass. I remember watching him in high school. I can't remember exactly which Chatt area high school he played for but wasn't suprised when he didn't pan out in college.

Quite a bit to cleanup up. With the subtraction of Bone , Williams & Schofield you could almost call this a new team. With a smallish lineup that will rely more on speed, finesse& perimeter shooting as opposed to the muscle ball that we have become more accustomed to the last 2-3 seasons there will definitely be some growing pains. I anticipate that from Now until mid Sec schedule that we will win some we shouldn’t and unfortunately probably lose a few we shouldn’t. Sounds simplistic but there will be several games that will hinge on whether or not the shots are falling. Hopefully by February we will start putting it all together.

Having said all that any chicken Little’s out there who are already writing off this year because we are only up 20 points on a team that “only won 4 games last year “ would probably be better suited in the FB forum. GBO
The key for this team will be to not settle for jump shots. Attack the basket with lane penetration, player movement, and ball movement. If that results in a kick out for a good shot then so be it but if we keep the ball on the perimeter and jack up 3s we will struggle. That’s usually what last year’s team did so well. Shot selection. And that’s why they shot close to 50% for the entire season.

Reactions: Vols All Day
He had two early entries into the draft, which hurt a ton. This isn’t Duke where those types of players are easily replaced.
One, I know exactly who went where.
Two, I’m not expecting a final four.

Snodgrass. I remember watching him in high school. I can't remember exactly which Chatt area high school he played for but wasn't suprised when he didn't pan out in college.

He played at McCallie, he wasn’t even dominant in Chattanooga at 6’11:

VN Store

Back