The Official Tennessee vs. Purdue Music City Bowl Game Thread, 3:00 PM ET, ESPN

The whistle blew AFTER he crossed the plane.

Apparently, the side judge ruled it stopped forward progress. That’s by rule the determinant. The whistle follows after his signal of the play being ruled dead due to forward progress. It’s one of those “rule exactly how it’s written” type of things.

It’s still unfortunate and sucks, don’t get me wrong.

Got some awful calls tonight fo sho
Tired of ppl calling for fahrins all the time
UTK you did this after the Pitt game, too
Grow up

Playcalling was the least of our problems. Hooker had at least 3 TDs he overthrew. Defense couldn't stop a run that didn't exist before today.
We have like one sec caliber defender so it’s not surprising. Plus they just abused Burrell all night which I would
Too if I played us.

Well we got shafted by the refs left and right. I hate to say that as the refs are almost always the scapegoat to a loss but this time it was true.

Hats off to Purdue for playing hard with heart though.

Just wished we would have went for some more yards at the end of regulation to shorten the FG attempt.

Our OL was a problem tonight.

Our DL didn't have any consistent pressure either.

The two bad tackle TDs ended up costing us the game too.

One other thing that bothered me especially with Purdue tired in the 4th was that we hardly ever ran to the perimeters, it was almost exclusively between the tackles.
Translation...we have to get better in the TRENCHES...or we get more games like this and OM

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
The last drive of the game lost this one. We just needed to get into FG range at minimum. We threw deep twice and scampered to get a 1st down on a short 4th and 2…why we did that is beyond me and to put the game into the hands of a kicker that hasn’t kicked a good FG further than 48 this year is just not good play-calling.

Then the horrible play calling in OT…my word…I really do think Heupel and his guys are good coaches but what in the world was that? This game was, I hope, the last of that and it gets addressed and cleaned up. The amount of penetration given by the o-line was pathetic as well. I could say a lot about every position, but truthfully, the whole team played pretty bad.

The good thing is, I haven’t felt this bad about a loss since Pitt, maybe Ole Miss, which has been a little while. Maybe we were robbed tonight, but we should have never been in OT with them. Our defense didn’t show up and out offensive play calling was very questionable in so many situations.
I hope this lights a fire under their hindends, but I’m not sure that kids playing these days care that much.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I mean they can, but it just ends up being the school throwing away free money in the millions amounts…both for themselves and the rest of the SEC teams.
UT has plenty of money. Between the phantom no whistle stop forward progress call and the 4 pass interference calls on the same drive, the 2010 fiasco music city bowl, UT is cursed in it

The NCAA claiming that forward progress is stopped when the ref determines forward progress is stopped vs when the whistle is blown is a slippery slope and dangerous for the NCAA to hang their hat on.
Especially when the game is on the line!

The deep throws at the end of reg wasn't where we needed to go, and I would've had Small in at running back there in ot, I didn't mind the going for it. Heupel and Hooker were both off tonight but I think this may be a good thing to carry in to next season. My opinion of Heupel hasn't changed, He is the guy. ******** loss but we struggled on offense in the 2 qtr and that left the door open. Entertaining game hate the outcome but let's get ready for next season 💪

That hurts.... feel bad for our boys. The officials need to be dealt with. And by dealt with I mean beaten with a stick. Straight robbery!

VN Store

Back