The Official Tennessee vs Georgia State Fall Ball Game Thread (Saturday 1PM)

I’d be real interested to hear the observations of anyone that got to see the game.
From what I saw

Anyone else who was there feel free to contribute.

Vols lost exhibition 6-5 but it was an exhibition.

No real substituting for position players other than Booker and Steenstra came in and played 8th and 9th inning.

Steenstra's bat is needed.

A little disappointed in Vols hitting. Only 6 hits to Ga State's 13 hits.

Vols pitched a different pitcher every inning.

Sewell, Burns, Halvorsen (minus his first two pitches) and McLaughlin stood out.

Joyce and Mabry had rough outings. All but 1of Ga State's runs came of them. Joyce looked completely rattled or just off his game.

Fielding didn't seem as clean in infield. Numerous infield hits by Ga State.

Only a few innings of 1 game but new guys didn't show much other than Burns.

Moore and Stephenson did very little at the plate but Stephenson has some wheels.

Most of lineup didn't hit well.

Overall thoughts, record wise I don't see this team being as good as last year but that doesn't matter. I think they will find their way through the season and once they start to gel as a team they will be tough to deal with. Long way until the season but afraid we might miss Sean Hunleys arm out of the bullpen.

I will give you comments of those around me because I don’t like to talk players individually. Four pitchers who pitched considerable innings last year gave you what they did last year. Sewell, McGlothlin, Kirby and Redmond. Fielders from last year gave you the same. Luc, Drew, Beck and Russell’s athleticism. New guys will get there. Just takes a little while and they will have to figure out who can compete. Some pitchers overthrew and struggled with control but Coach A will fix that or they won’t see mound time as has been said. Hard to judge with the format. Dollander looked good along with freshman Wyatt at start of second group.

I will give you comments of those around me because I don’t like to talk players individually. Four pitchers who pitched considerable innings last year gave you what they did last year. Sewell, McGlothlin, Kirby and Redmond. Fielders from last year gave you the same. Luc, Drew, Beck and Russell’s athleticism. New guys will get there. Just takes a little while and they will have to figure out who can compete. Some pitchers overthrew and struggled with control but Coach A will fix that or they won’t see mound time as has been said. Hard to judge with the format. Dollander looked good along with freshman Wyatt at start of second group.
I didn't stay for the situational game afterwards. Was wondering of Dollander threw any.

Joyce looked really out of sorts during his inning. Hoping he can really come on.

Was at the game. Important to keep in mind it's only a Fall game and the first Fall game.

We've got new players at 3rd, SS, 2nd, and Catcher and it showed. All returning players looked solid, both offense & defense. Pitching was good and Burns impressed. I thought Halversen, Mabry, and Joyce had the roughest innings. Joyce was the high thrower of the day regularly hitting 100 (I'm hearing the scoreboard mph was slow by 2-3 mph). Burns was a tic behind him. I think those 3 will be fine. Important to note that Joyce hasn't pitched a live game since pre-covid and he's 12 months after having Tommy John. He'll get better fast.

Overall, got to put things into perspective, first Fall game. Helps get the jitters out.

Another thing I noticed. I know in baseball it doesn't matter as much, but it is amazing the difference in the look of the team from what Serrano left.

And I like Serrano, still hard to believe he faltered that bad here.

Pitching is this team’s strength. From what we have coming back and what we’ve added we will be fine. I think the pitching will be as good as last year.
outfield is another asset.
let’s talk infield.

Start in the middle. Russell will only get better behind the plate. I thought he made some plays yesterday. Rushed a couple throws and simply missed his exchange.
Overall looked good in my opinion for first scrimmage and will again only get better. I personally think Charlie Taylor will help out with innings as well.
SS and 2b. - bet a good battle there between streenssra , Lawson , chambers and Moore.
Stephenson might factor in at 2b.
3b - I personally think Limbsomb , Ortega and even Streensta plays 3b

Booker , Steenstra , Chambers and Burke will be in the line up in the spring.

This team will be fine but will look different from last years team. It will take a bit. I
17-13 or 16-14 in Sec play !

Pitching is this team’s strength. From what we have coming back and what we’ve added we will be fine. I think the pitching will be as good as last year.
outfield is another asset.
let’s talk infield.

Start in the middle. Russell will only get better behind the plate. I thought he made some plays yesterday. Rushed a couple throws and simply missed his exchange.
Overall looked good in my opinion for first scrimmage and will again only get better. I personally think Charlie Taylor will help out with innings as well.
SS and 2b. - bet a good battle there between streenssra , Lawson , chambers and Moore.
Stephenson might factor in at 2b.
3b - I personally think Limbsomb , Ortega and even Streensta plays 3b

Booker , Steenstra , Chambers and Burke will be in the line up in the spring.

This team will be fine but will look different from last years team. It will take a bit. I
17-13 or 16-14 in Sec play !
I am certainly an eternal optimist, but I can't see 13 or 14 losses with this pitching staff. There may be several 3-2 ball games

Reactions: GOBO-Baseball02
I am certainly an eternal optimist, but I can't see 13 or 14 losses with this pitching staff. There may be several 3-2 ball games

Gotta play defense, especially up the middle infield and catcher, if you want to take advantage of that pitching. Right now those defensive positions are unknown. Will be real hard to replicate the chemistry of Max and Liam, and the steadiness of Pavs, but I am gonna believe we can, too.

Reactions: TN_gal and Bigun

VN Store

Back