The Official Tennessee Titans thread IV

2019 will determine whether to stay the course with Mariota or try something new. Best thing they could have done on DL if trying to get better now is trade up for one of the Edge pass rushers. I take this pick as a sign that they are giving up on Marcus. Local media may eat their hats for the next 48 hours to let the city shine but in liberal Nashville there is no way the history of violence towards women won't get run through the grinder, and maybe it should.

I actually think the media (or lack thereof) in Nashville is ideal for someone with his background. He won’t be in the national spotlight.

And what does this pick have to do with the team being ready to give up on Mariota? It’s been assumed they were likely going defense in round 1 for months.

Not sure how I feel about the pick. Drafting an injured player is always a risk. That 1st offseason and training camp are critical to a player’s development.

But on the other hand, it’s hard to argue when a 2x All-SEC 1st teamer falls in your lap at 19...at a position of need no less. The long term pay off could be well worth it.

Disappointed with the pick. After three straight 9-7 seasons we should be doing what we can to get over the hump and become a serious competitor. Instead we draft a guy who likely won't play this year. And then there's the video.....

I have zero confidence in Mariota, and really want us to trade for Rosen just to see what he's got and try to catch lightning in a bottle. I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see us do something to try and win now for once.

Mariota will need replacing next year. The Titans, continually building for the future with the goal of never competing for anything. SMH.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I think picking a guy who is clearly not going to help immediately suggests the Titans are done with Mariota. If they were going all in on him, then they'd try to give him some help.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I think picking a guy who is clearly not going to help immediately suggests the Titans are done with Mariota. If they were going all in on him, then they'd try to give him some help.

I guess it’s possible. Just seems like a reach to me to already be connecting those dots, especially to this pick. Very real chance they just really like Simmons.

I wouldn’t be offended in the least if they were ready to move on from Marcus. I’m just not sure they’re quite to that point yet.

I do however think it’s a very real chance they’re playing it by ear. Neither Vrabel nor J-Rob is connected to Marcus, and they know there are some very good QB prospects coming down the pike these next couple of years.

That said, I think they are likely still fully invested in him for 2019. The last of his “cheap” years was last season. He’s due to make almost $21 million this year. If they were truly done, they might’ve already cut bait.

I guess it’s possible. Just seems like a reach to me to already be connecting those dots, especially to this pick. Very real chance they just really like Simmons.

I'm sure they do. Heck, I really like Simmons. But if the mindset is "it's time to win now" picking a guy that will only give you half a season at best is doesn't really fit the plan.

That said, I think they are likely still fully invested in him for 2019. The last of his “cheap” years was last season. He’s due to make almost $21 million this year. If they were truly done, they might’ve already cut bait.

They have so much cap room that the huge salary is irrelevant. And next year is a much better QB draft. Even if they aren't "fully invested," letting this year play out is the smart move.

I'm sure they do. Heck, I really like Simmons. But if the mindset is "it's time to win now" picking a guy that will only give you half a season at best is doesn't really fit the plan.

They have so much cap room that the huge salary is irrelevant. And next year is a much better QB draft. Even if they aren't "fully invested," letting this year play out is the smart move.

I agree it's the smart move. I just don't know. Bringing in Tannehill and keeping the same offense just seemed like they were putting all their eggs in the 2019 basket. But I also agree that taking a guy who's probably gonna miss his entire rookie season isn't exactly consistent with that. In reality it's probably a mix of both. Or given this organization, maybe they don't have the first ****ing clue what they're doing. Wouldn't really be surprised either way.

I don't know, with the exception of QB, I've always felt players taken in the first round should come in and have an immediate impact. IF Simmons returns to form(not guaranteed), he may be seen as a steal 2-3 years from now, but he does nothing to make the Titans better next year. Hopefully they luck into some ballers in the rest of the draft.

Reactions: Rishvol
Draft seems deep in WRs. I thought the Titans might look elsewhere.

VN Store

Back