The Official Tennessee Shriners College Showdown Games Thread (Friday 2/16 8PM EST) (Sat. 2/17 8PM EST) (Sun. 2/18 7:30PM EST) (FLOBASEBALL TV)

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS
(0-0) Overall (0-0) SEC
1707753273787.jpeg

VS
Texas Tech/Oklahoma/Baylor

ARLINGTON, Texas – No. 5/9 Tennessee heads to Arlington, Texas to begin its 2024 season at the Shriners Children's College Showdown at Globe Life Field.

The Volunteers will square off against three Big 12 foes in this weekend's tournament in No. 18/21 Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Baylor. UT played Oklahoma and Baylor the last time it appeared in a Shriners Children's event, as well, defeating both teams at the 2022 Shriners Children's College Classic in Houston.

TICKET INFORMATION

Tickets for this weekend's Shriners Children's College Showdown can be purchased HERE.

BROADCAST INFO

All three of Tennessee's games this weekend will be streamed by FloBaseball, which does require a subscription. For more info, or to purchase a subscription, click HERE.

Fans can also listen to the Voice of Tennessee Baseball John Wilkerson call the action for all three games via a free audio stream on UTSports.com, the Tennessee Athletics App and the Varsity App.

WEEKEND SCHEDULE/PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS

Friday vs. Texas Tech – 8 p.m. ET
Projected Starters
: RHP AJ Russell vs. RHP Kyle Robinson

Saturday at Oklahoma – 8 p.m. ET
Projected Starters
: RHP Drew Beam vs. RHP Brendan Girton

Sunday vs. Baylor – 7:30 p.m. ET
Projected Starters
: TBD vs. TBD

SERIES HISTORY

Vols vs. Texas Tech
Overall: 1-1
in Knoxville: 0-0
in Lubbock: 0-0
at Neutral Sites: 1-1
Last Meeting: W, 6-2 in Round Rock, Texas (Feb. 21, 2020)

Vols vs. Oklahoma
Overall: 1-2
in Norman: 0-0
at Neutral Sites: 1-2
Last Meeting: W, 8-0 in Houston (March 6, 2022)

Vols vs. Baylor
Overall: 1-1
in Waco: 0-0
at Neutral Sites: 1-1
Last Meeting: W, 10-5 in Houston (March 5, 2022)

NOTABLE

Feeling Right at Home in Texas
The Vols have made three trips into the Lone Star State during Tony Vitello's tenure as head coach and have fared well in those instances, posting a 7-2 overall record. UT went 2-1 in the 2022 Shriners Children's College Classic in Houston with wins over Baylor and Oklahoma, and won the 2020 Round Rock Classic with a perfect 3-0 record, including a victory over top-ranked Texas Tech. The Orange & White also claimed a 2-1 series victory at Texas A&M during the 2021 season.

Vols in Pro Ballparks
Tennessee is 9-3 when playing in professional ballparks (MLB or MiLB) under Vitello (since 2018). This weekend's Shriners Children's College Showdown will mark the sixth time that the Vols have played a tournament or game at a pro baseball stadium in that span.

UT Appearances in Pro Baseball Stadiums (Since 2018)
2023 (1-1)

• Salt River Fields at Talking Stick in Scottsdale, Ariz. (Spring Training Facility for Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies)
- Lost 3-1 vs. Arizona in MLB Desert Invitational
• Sloan Park in Mesa, Ariz. (Spring Training Facility for Chicago Cubs)
- Won 7-0 vs. UC San Diego in MLB Desert Invitational
2022 (2-2)
• Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas (Home of the Houston Astros)
- Went 2-1 in the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic
• Smokies Stadium in Kodak, Tennessee (Home of Chicago Cubs AA Affiliate Tennessee Smokies)
- Lost 3-2 vs. Tennessee Tech
2020 (3-0)
• Dell Diamond in Round Rock, Texas (Home of the Texas Rangers AAA Affiliate Round Rock Express)
- Went 3-0 in the Round Rock Classic
2019 (3-0)
• Blue Wahoos Stadium in Pensacola, Fla. (Home of the Miami Marlins AA Affiliate Pensacola Blue Wahoos)
- Went 3-0 in the Cox Diamond Invitational

Rocky Top Round Trippers
UT has been the nation's most prolific home run hitting team over the past three seasons, leading all NCAA Division I programs with 382 long balls during that span (2021-pres). In the previous decade before that (2010-2020), the Volunteers totaled just 376 home runs. The Vols have surpassed the 100-homer mark in each of the past two years, including a program record 158 in 2022, which ranks fourth in NCAA Division I history and is the most by any team in the BBCOR bat era (since 2011).

The Big Orange blasted 126 home runs in 2023, which is the second highest tally in program history and ranked sixth in the country. Tennessee also hit 98 long balls in 2021. The Vols went deep in 53 of their 66 games last season with 36 multi-homer performances on the year.

The Frank Anderson Effect
Under the guidance of Frank Anderson, one of the nation's top pitching coaches and developers of talent throughout his highly-successful career, Tennessee has featured some of the nation's premier pitching staffs year in and year out.

In each of the last four seasons, the Vols have ranked in the top 10 nationally in ERA, WHIP, strikeout-to-walk ratio and walks allowed per nine innings. UT set new program records with 738 strikeouts and 11.7 strikeouts per nine innings last season, breaking the previous marks of 695 and 10.53, which were both set in 2022.

OPPONENT SCOUT

Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • 2023 Record: 41-23 (12-12 Big 12)
  • 2023 Postseason: NCAA Gainesville Regional
  • 2024 Big 12 Preseason Poll: 4th
  • Head Coach: Tim Tadlock (12th season)
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (1):
    • INF Gavin Kash
Oklahoma Sooners
  • 2023 Record: 32-28 (11-13 Big 12)
  • 2023 Postseason: NCAA Charlottesville Regional
  • 2024 Big 12 Preseason Poll: T-6th
  • Head Coach: Skip Johnson (7th season)
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (1):
    • OF Bryce Madron
Baylor Bears
  • 2023 Record: 20-35 (6-18 Big 12)
  • 2023 Postseason: N/A
  • 2024 Big 12 Preseason Poll: 11th
  • Head Coach: Mitch Thompson (2nd season)
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (N/A)

ON DECK

The Vols return to Knoxville for their home opener on Tuesday, Feb. 20 against UNC Asheville at 4:30 p.m., kicking off a 15-game homestand prior to the start of SEC play in mid-March. Tennessee will also host ETSU on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. before welcoming Albany to Lindsey Nelson Stadium for its first weekend home series of the year Friday through Sunday.

Last edited:
TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS
(0-0) Overall (0-0) SEC
View attachment 619413

VS
TEXAS TECH RED RAIDERS
(0-0) Overall (0-0) BIG 12
View attachment 619415

ARLINGTON, TX- Tennessee travels to Globelife Field in Arlington, Texas to play in The Shriners Children’s College Showdown from Feb 16-Feb 18. Tennessee will open with The Texas Tech Raiders on Friday, Feb 16th at 8PM EST.

All three games can be viewed on Flobaseball. Flo is a subscription service.

Pitching matchup is TBD.

Tennessee and Texas Tech have only met twice before and the series is tied at 1-1. Tennessee defeated Texas Tech 6-2 in 2020 in Round Rock, TX and Texas Tech defeated Tennessee 7-3 in 2008 in Houston, TX.

Boom! First game thread of the season!

1707755491911.gif

If there is a free trial then it is $29.99/month if not canceled. I didn’t see a link for a free trial whenever I went to their site: $30 is pretty steep for a handful of games over one weekend for me.

Wait, it’s going to cost $30 to watch these games? Sheesh. That’s steep. I don’t remember it being that expensive last time we were in the Shriner’s Classic. Guess I may not be watching opening weekend…..😓

If there is a free trial then it is $29.99/month if not canceled. I didn’t see a link for a free trial whenever I went to their site: $30 is pretty steep for a handful of games over one weekend for me.
I read something about a trial but I was in a hurry, so I may be mistaken. If there's no trial, then I'll just listen to good ol Mr. Wilkerson anyway.

Alright, alright, alright it is baseball time again! Will the audio of the game be available on UT Sports? It is speed weeks in Daytona so there is that. If I here good things about the free option or flobaseball I may try the free trial for the game Friday night.

Lord I can’t wait. The best time of year is almost here!
giphy.webp

Seeing this thread on the Home page list put a big smile on my face and a ray of sunshine into my heart!
Like finding half a pizza in a pizza box in the office trash.

Reactions: Orange931

VN Store

Back