The Official Tennessee @ Alabama Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPNU

Might be that very few bball coaches get fahred when they have a first round NBA talent at PG and Perry is likely to be drafted along the lines of Admiral.
Kind of the point I was making earlier. My comments aren’t aimed at any of our current coaches. But the way the university and a majority of the fans backed Dooley, Butch, Raleigh, Warlick past the point where it was obvious they weren’t the answers is the reason we find all of our programs having to play major catch up with league mates. All I’m saying is maybe we can learn from past mistakes and if it becomes apparent one of our current coaches aren’t going to get it done we can try not to use every excuse in the book to justify their problems? I know this falls upon def ears I don’t even know why I type it to be honest.

Alabama averaged 19 wins the 2 previous years prior to the change, Tennessee averaged 15 wins prior to the change...wasn’t exactly apples to apples on where those programs were.
I’m not really trying to compare b-ball anyway, just in general our athletics... read my post to the other fellow I can’t type much right now:)

I think there’s hope for you ALEX. The AD does the coach hiring / fahring with pressures from others. CPF has made some coaching changes that are promising.

I’m not really trying to compare b-ball anyway, just in general our athletics... read my post to the other fellow I can’t type much right now:)

Normally we make the bargain bin hire so they need on the job training to coach in the SEC...

We never do well there, regardless of the team we have. Alabama smoked Auburn at home.

So needless to say, I'm expecting another L.

Quick question. I think I was watching the other day and the announcer said one of our players wanted to be a professional bass fisherman after graduation. Does anyone remember who? It may have been the other team. I just have a fleeting memory of it.
I remember that too, pretty sure it was a Mississippi State player.

Reactions: Knox-a-rue
Alabama’s weak spot in their defense appears to be on midrange shots. They rank 48th in defensive 3pt % and 25th in fg% around the rim but 140th on midrange FG%. I think Bowden has a good opportunity to exploit that vs Shackelford and Bolden.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Vescovi is very likely to get torched all game when Vols are on defense. Gonna be a long day if he can't keep their PG from doing whatever he wants.

Kind of the point I was making earlier. My comments aren’t aimed at any of our current coaches. But the way the university and a majority of the fans backed Dooley, Butch, Raleigh, Warlick past the point where it was obvious they weren’t the answers is the reason we find all of our programs having to play major catch up with league mates. All I’m saying is maybe we can learn from past mistakes and if it becomes apparent one of our current coaches aren’t going to get it done we can try not to use every excuse in the book to justify their problems? I know this falls upon def ears I don’t even know why I type it to be honest.

Most of those coaches were bad hires. The issues weren't that they were supported by fans and given too many seasons. Dooley was only here for 3 years. Butch had a couple of 9-4 seasons. Giving Holly plenty of time was the right thing to do... she still had a pretty good W/L record and made the NCAAT every year. It could be argued that Holly and Dooley should have been fired a year sooner, but giving a football coach just 2 years is kind of silly and Holly is a legend as a player and was a protégé of Pat's. It's easily justified that giving each of them their final year was appropriate. Running off coaches makes it harder to find great coaches.

Normally we make the bargain bin hire so they need on the job training to coach in the SEC...

I don't agree. KO was hired after a Sweet 16. Pearl took a no-name to the NCAAT and had a national championship. Barnes had an amazing run of making the NCAAT in 3 of the best leagues in college basketball history. Devoe had worked under Bobby Knight and had experience at a couple of programs. Jerry Green came from a major conference. Even Wade was the top assistant at a national championship program. Buzz couldn't coach and although his connection to MJ was a fraud, he did play for one of the greatest coaches in the history of the NCAA.

Reactions: sport3500
Another interesting stat: Bama’s offensive efficiency is 35th in the country. But their second chance efficiency is 250th. They’re also one of the better teams at getting to the FT stripe. So if you can force them into a miss, don’t want to bail them out w a foul.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I don't agree. KO was hired after a Sweet 16. Pearl took a no-name to the NCAAT and had a national championship. Barnes had an amazing run of making the NCAAT in 3 of the best leagues in college basketball history. Devoe had worked under Bobby Knight and had experience at a couple of programs. Jerry Green came from a major conference. Even Wade was the top assistant at a national championship program. Buzz couldn't coach and although his connection to MJ was a fraud, he did play for one of the greatest coaches in the history of the NCAA.

I was mostly referring to FB since the prior poster was referring to all sports (especially in the time since Mike Hamilton took over). Barnes is the exception to the rule (Tyndall, Buzz, and Martin were mediocre low to mid major coaches). Pearl was bargain bin due to his baggage.

We've hired 4 consecutive FB coaches that have exactly 0 games of P5 HC experience when we hired them

Reactions: walkenvol
They have a first year coach isn’t that right? Why can other teams have first and second year coaches that can be somewhat competent but anytime we have a new coach in any sport we are told it’s silly to expect anything from them until at least year 3 or 4?

The New Coach is Very Good, and evidently the players are buying what he's selling.

I was mostly referring to FB since the prior poster was referring to all sports (especially in the time since Mike Hamilton took over). Barnes is the exception to the rule (Tyndall, Buzz, and Martin were mediocre low to mid major coaches). Pearl was bargain bin due to his baggage.

We've hired 4 consecutive FB coaches that have exactly 0 games of P5 HC experience when we hired them

I just don't think that it's likely to lure away another P-5/6 coach that's been highly successful without way over paying. TN tried to hire the Purdue coach and the OK State coach. It isn't an infinite pool of money and getting a really expensive one won't guarantee success.

Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, and Clemson all currently have football coaches who had no P5 HC experience before their current jobs. And 5 of those 6 coaches had no HC experience at all.

Donnie and Cuonzo also won championships and I wouldn't call the OVC, MVC, or C-USA low majors. They've had several Final Four appearances.

VN Store

Back