• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

The Official Tennessee @ Alabama Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPNU

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Tennessee Volunteers: 12-9 (4-4 SEC)

91c37d8a-0063-43ed-a023-6a15811af259-USATSI_13983732.jpg

@

Alabama Crimson Tide: 12-9 (4-4 SEC)

usa_today_13986498.0.jpg

GAME 22 | TENNESSEE at ALABAMA - Feb. 4, 2020 | 7:01 p.m. ET / 6:01 p.m. CT | Coleman Coliseum (15,316)

Line: UT +6
O/U: 146.5

TV: ESPNU / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
XM: 388 / Internet: 970
Online: WatchESPN

Alabama Game Notes

T9ioyIhr

THE SERIES
• Tennessee trails the all-time series with Alabama, 69-79, dating to 1914.
• The Crimson Tide owns a 45-18 advantage when the series is played in Tuscaloosa.
• This is the only regular-season meeting between these teams.

A WIN WOULD...
• Bring an end to the Vols' three-game losing streak.
• Snap Tennessee's two-game losing skid at Coleman Coliseum.
• Give Tennessee a winning record in SEC road games at the halfway mark of regular-season league play.

STORYLINES
• This week one year ago, Tennessee was ranked No. 1 in both major polls. The Vols rode a 17-game win streak into last season's clash with Alabama.
Rick Barnes was an assistant coach at Alabama during the 1985-86 season.
• In three career games vs. Alabama, Vols senior Jordan Bowden has 11 assists and only two turnovers spanning 76 minutes of action.
• Vols freshman Josiah-Jordan James missed Saturday's game at Mississippi State with a groin injury. He had started every game prior to that.
• Despite James' absence, freshmen accounted for 49 percent of Tennessee's total points Saturday in Starkville (36 of 73).
• The Vols are shooting .476 from the field and .350 from 3-point range in SEC road games this season but have a negative rebounding margin (-1.2) and turnover margin (-1.7) in those games.

LAYUP LINES
• Tennessee leads the SEC in scoring defense (61.2 ppg, 18th nationally) and ranks second in field-goal percentage defense (.386, 22nd nationally).
• During SEC play, junior forward John Fulkerson leads the team in scoring (11.1 ppg) and steals (1.1 spg) while shooting .586 from the field and .875 from the free-throw line.
• Junior forward Yves Pons has blocked at least one shot in every game this season. He leads the SEC and ranks 19th nationally with 2.6 bpg. His 2.9 bpg during SEC play also leads the league.
• Freshmen Josiah-Jordan James (13-28) and Santiago Vescovi (18-45) combine to shoot .425 from 3-point range during SEC play.
• For the first time in program history, Tennessee on Feb. 1 started a lineup that included four different nationalities (American, French, Serbian, Uruguayan).

ABOUT ALABAMA
• Alabama currently holds the same record as Tennessee. The Crimson Tide sit at 12-9 (4-4 SEC), with a notable victory over then-undefeated Auburn in January. Alabama is coming off two tough conference losses to LSU and Arkansas this past week.
• The Crimson Tide are led by first-year head coach Nate Oates, who looks to bring just the second 20-win season in the last six years to Tuscaloosa.
• Despite an up-and-down campaign, the Tide have consistent production from the backcourt duo of Kira Lewis Jr. and John Petty Jr. Lewis leads Alabama in scoring (16.4 ppg), assists (4.7 apg) and steals (1.8 spg), while Petty is second in scoring (15.4 ppg) and steals (1.3 spg) and leads the Crimson Tide and ranks eighth in the SEC in rebounding (7.2 rpg).
• Lewis's 2019-20 campaign has seen a two-point jump in point production from last season, when he had the difficult job of replacing 2018 NBA lottery pick Colin Sexton.
• After advancing to the second round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament, Alabama looks to make it back to the Big Dance, following an appearance in the NIT at the conclusion of last season
• The origin of Alabama's elephant mascot, Big Al, comes from former Atlanta Journal sportswriter Everett Strupper, who used a dramatic flair to describe the Crimson Tide football team running onto the field. "At the end of the quarter, the earth started to tremble, there was a distant rumble that continued to grow. Some excited fan in the stands bellowed, 'Hold your horses, the elephants are coming!' and out stamped this Alabama varsity." From there the name and the mascot stuck.

Meh....Coleman. We never seem to do well in that den. Hoping they can turn things around, but that's not the place I'd expect it to happen.

Quick question. I think I was watching the other day and the announcer said one of our players wanted to be a professional bass fisherman after graduation. Does anyone remember who? It may have been the other team. I just have a fleeting memory of it.

Bama By 10. They are coming off a loss, and looking for redemption. UT isn't good enough to win @ bammer. I HATE to lose to them, in ANYTHING!

Good morning Vol Fans!

I'd certainly enjoy beating these goobers tonight, I tune in every game hoping to win, its bound to happen eventually.......

Fuss if you want but I think Plav needs more playing time, maybe something will click. We need a body in the paint instead of nearly every possession being a pass and dribble exhibit on the perimeter with a sling to the basket at the last second... just my thoughts

Go Big Orange!

What if JJJ returns, UP continues to improve, SV continues to improve, Fulky and Pons combine for more than 10 points, and Bowden has a good shooting game? There’s always hope!

Bama By 10. They are coming off a loss, and looking for redemption. UT isn't good enough to win @ bammer. I HATE to lose to them, in ANYTHING!
They have a first year coach isn’t that right? Why can other teams have first and second year coaches that can be somewhat competent but anytime we have a new coach in any sport we are told it’s silly to expect anything from them until at least year 3 or 4?

What is Avery Johnson recruited some good players so the new coach didn’t inherit a dumpster fire roster for $500 Alex
Ok then maybe our university should look into having less leeway with coaches? In every sport that’s the excuse, that this coach is left with a dumpster fire from the previous coach. Well maybe we shouldn’t let coaches turn our programs into dumpster fires before we fire them and get a new coach so the new guy doesn’t have to completely rebuild a mess. Most other schools see the writing on the wall and get rid of a guy before it gets to that point but UT likes to ride coaches straight into oblivion before getting rid of them. I’m not really talking about anyone specific here but again just around all of our athletics over the past decade this has been the general sentiment. When asked why a new coach at school x can have instant success the answer is always “ they were left in better shape than our coach.” So again I ask why can’t UT learn from their past mistakes and stop giving guys infinite rope until they completely burn a team to the ground?

Might be that very few bball coaches get fahred when they have a first round NBA talent at PG and Perry is likely to be drafted along the lines of Admiral.

They have a first year coach isn’t that right? Why can other teams have first and second year coaches that can be somewhat competent but anytime we have a new coach in any sport we are told it’s silly to expect anything from them until at least year 3 or 4?

Alabama averaged 19 wins the 2 previous years prior to the change, Tennessee averaged 15 wins prior to the change...wasn’t exactly apples to apples on where those programs were.

VN Store

Back