The Official NASCAR Talk Thread

I ran into a Nashville legend last week. If you went to races in Nashville during the 80's you remember Sterling Marlin, he had a mediocre at best Nascar career but he dominated locally. He is in very, very bad shape, Parkinson's has debilitated him terribly along with dependency. I didn't even recognize him, it didn't even click with me until today when his son in law came in and he came up. He's been to my place of business often buying parts recently but it never clicked who he was. He may weigh 80 pounds soaking wet.

I know this seems random but sadness really washed over me, a guy I looked up to growing up is struggling these days. Just another reminder time marches on and isn't kind to many of us.

I don’t care for him or Hamlin, but if they aren’t duking it out for the ship at Phoenix then it’s a shame.

I don’t like Hamlin but he has arguably been the best this season. He’s overdue for a championship. If he retires without a championship, he’ll be the greatest driver to never win one.

I don’t like Hamlin but he has arguably been the best this season. He’s overdue for a championship. If he retires without a championship, he’ll be the greatest driver to never win one.
I'd prefer Kyle, but this just isn't his year. I only want Hamlin to win one for the fact he races for JGR.

Reactions: Vol$_Deep_11_9
No denying that, he’s been on a tear this year. He just always seems to choke when it goes down to the nitty gritty. May not happen this year though.

I ran into a Nashville legend last week. If you went to races in Nashville during the 80's you remember Sterling Marlin, he had a mediocre at best Nascar career but he dominated locally. He is in very, very bad shape, Parkinson's has debilitated him terribly along with dependency. I didn't even recognize him, it didn't even click with me until today when his son in law came in and he came up. He's been to my place of business often buying parts recently but it never clicked who he was. He may weigh 80 pounds soaking wet.

I know this seems random but sadness really washed over me, a guy I looked up to growing up is struggling these days. Just another reminder time marches on and isn't kind to many of us.
I don't know if I'd call his career mediocre. He was a back to back 2 time Daytona 500 winner, finished Top 3 in points twice. While he had only 10 wins to his Cup career but over 200 Top 10 finishes.

Reactions: YankeeVol
I don't know if I'd call his career mediocre. He was a back to back 2 time Daytona 500 winner, finished Top 3 in points twice. While he had only 10 wins to his Cup career but over 200 Top 10 finishes.
It seemed Peoples opinion if him was he was mediocre and always wrecked, especially later in his career. But I didn't follow Nascar as much as I used to by then.

Very sad debilitating disease. As a kid his dad had the best name in racing “Cuckoo” to me and then as a teenager along came a guy named “Trickle”. Anyway I kind of always pulled for SM I know he drove for the Morgan/McClure Abingdon VA based #4 team. That was close To where I grew up so I always kind of pulled for the guy. Guess I’ll do that again and pray that he has more good than bad days and copes with the hand he’s been dealt.
Thanks for the random update also

Alright fellas I think the pixie dust and magic is gone, I’m going to say #48 will not qualify for the playoffs tonight... a wreck gets him

Lol I say that but last week during the double header, Saturday I won about 30$. Sunday I was just the kiss of death. Can’t complain, I have won like 75$ across the last few races lol can’t win em all though.
I have a DK account I should get into a few of those

Very sad debilitating disease. As a kid his dad had the best name in racing “Cuckoo” to me and then as a teenager along came a guy named “Trickle”. Anyway I kind of always pulled for SM I know he drove for the Morgan/McClure Abingdon VA based #4 team. That was close To where I grew up so I always kind of pulled for the guy. Guess I’ll do that again and pray that he has more good than bad days and copes with the hand he’s been dealt.
Thanks for the random update also
He's not handling it well, he apparently drinks alot.

I'm really trying to get back into NASCAR. It just doesn't seem as exciting to me as it used to be. Maybe because I'm older, I don't know. I remember as a kid watching Gant, Allison, Elliot, Earnhart and my childhood favorite Petty. Maybe it will never live up to my childhood memories.

We used to go to Daytona, Talladega and Bristol every year. I really want to get my daughter to a race before she gets too old to want to go with me, I figure I've got one or two years tops.

VN Store

Back