The Official Florida @ Tennessee Game Thread 12:00 PM ET, ESPNU

Other than Springer and Johnson, there isn't anyone else on the roster who is going to sniff the NBA

1. "the pros" isn't just the NBA, Pons can and will play pro ball overseas if he doesn't get a shot in the NBA.
2. If Jordan Bowden can get time in the D-league (which is the NBA) then I'm sure a few guys on this roster can as well.

1. "the pros" isn't just the NBA, Pons can and will play pro ball overseas if he doesn't get a shot in the NBA.
2. If Jordan Bowden can get time in the D-league (which is the NBA) then I'm sure a few guys on this roster can as well.
"If Jordan Bowden". There aren't aren't a few guys on this roster who are as good as Jordon Bowden. Just 2

"If Jordan Bowden". There aren't aren't a few guys on this roster who are as good as Jordon Bowden. Just 2

Eh, not worth debating cause I don't care really what your opinion on the topic is.

My original comment was to point out that we could have more than 2 players leave after this season, number could honestly be as high as 5. Graduation, Transfers, Leaving for the NBA/to play overseas; so it'll be interesting to see what the attrition is at the end of the season.

I just get the feeling the 2021-2022 BasketVols will be playing in the NIT. Too many losses to overcome in one season.

Hard to say at this point. Got two very good prospects incoming, the first NBA quality (outta HS) PG we've had recruited by Barnes too. Just depends on who is on the team once the dust settles and any additions we've added via transfers or if we snag a '22 prospect via reclassification.
I think a team made up of James, Santi, Bailey, Chandler, Olivier, Mashack are solid enough to be a bubble team. Mashack is the 62nd rated guy nationally and the 11th rated SF in this class, he should be capable of being an early contributor for us. Then you got Walker who was 81st rated nationally and the 12th rated PF in his class last year that could be a factor. Plus Gaines, EJ, Uros, & Pember who knows if any of them can push to earn more court time. I'd say it's a bit too early to make predictions on next year's squad without a firm idea of who will return.

Hard to say at this point. Got two very good prospects incoming, the first NBA quality (outta HS) PG we've had recruited by Barnes too. Just depends on who is on the team once the dust settles and any additions we've added via transfers or if we snag a '22 prospect via reclassification.
I think a team made up of James, Santi, Bailey, Chandler, Olivier, Mashack are solid enough to be a bubble team. Mashack is the 62nd rated guy nationally and the 11th rated SF in this class, he should be capable of being an early contributor for us. Then you got Walker who was 81st rated nationally and the 12th rated PF in his class last year that could be a factor. Plus Gaines, EJ, Uros, & Pember who knows if any of them can push to earn more court time. I'd say it's a bit too early to make predictions on next year's squad without a firm idea of who will return.

Huntley Hatfield is a real possibility too.

I see us making the tournament again next year.

Reactions: Border Vol
Huntley Hatfield is a real possibility too.

I see us making the tournament again next year.

Yeah, I look for us to have a more consistent looking team offensively with a lottery pick level PG at the helm. As long as we stay relatively healthy I expect us to be a tournament team. We had a shot the year COVID hit with a deep SECT run, next year's squad will have JJJ, Santi, and Olivier all in year 3 and year 3 was when Bone, Admiral, Kyle, Pons, & Fulky all kind of turned the corner in Barnes' system.

Yeah, I look for us to have a more consistent looking team offensively with a lottery pick level PG at the helm. As long as we stay relatively healthy I expect us to be a tournament team. We had a shot the year COVID hit with a deep SECT run, next year's squad will have JJJ, Santi, and Olivier all in year 3 and year 3 was when Bone, Admiral, Kyle, Pons, & Fulky all kind of turned the corner in Barnes' system.

I think BHH is gonna be much more important than Chandler for a better offense. The only time this offense has worked was with a dominant low post player. I don’t trust Barnes to use Chandler’s skill set correctly

I think BHH is gonna be much more important than Chandler for a better offense. The only time this offense has worked was with a dominant low post player. I don’t trust Barnes to use Chandler’s skill set correctly

2019-20 season
With Turner = 8-3
Without Turner = 9-11

2018-19 Jordan Bone had his best year here alongside Grant hard to say that team winning 31 was because of one more than the other if being objective.

2010-11 at Texas you had Cory Joseph having an amazing season ended up being a 1st round pick as a 1 & done. The leading scorer on that team was also Jordan Hamilton (a guard).
2007-08 at Texas you had DJ Augustin & AJ Abrams carrying that squad with no real dominant low post player. Connor Atchley had his best season, but wasn't dominant. Damion James was more of a Admiral/JJJ type forward as well for them not a pure inside guy like Grant.
2005-06 at Texas you had Daniel Gibson have his best season in college, and ended up drafted in the 2nd round.
2002-03 at Texas was the TJ Ford season and he's one of the best PGs Barnes has ever had.

All of those teams did have some good big play, but Barnes' teams historically haven't just been good because of an interior presence. The question is which position is helping the other most? Is the high level guard play making it easier for the big to thrive, or is the interior presence allowing the guards to play at a higher level? Takes both, but based on previous team success for Barnes he's never had a team carried by just a dominant low post player.

2019-20 season
With Turner = 8-3
Without Turner = 9-11

2018-19 Jordan Bone had his best year here alongside Grant hard to say that team winning 31 was because of one more than the other if being objective.

2010-11 at Texas you had Cory Joseph having an amazing season ended up being a 1st round pick as a 1 & done. The leading scorer on that team was also Jordan Hamilton (a guard).
2007-08 at Texas you had DJ Augustin & AJ Abrams carrying that squad with no real dominant low post player. Connor Atchley had his best season, but wasn't dominant. Damion James was more of a Admiral/JJJ type forward as well for them not a pure inside guy like Grant.
2005-06 at Texas you had Daniel Gibson have his best season in college, and ended up drafted in the 2nd round.
2002-03 at Texas was the TJ Ford season and he's one of the best PGs Barnes has ever had.

All of those teams did have some good big play, but Barnes' teams historically haven't just been good because of an interior presence. The question is which position is helping the other most? Is the high level guard play making it easier for the big to thrive, or is the interior presence allowing the guards to play at a higher level? Takes both, but based on previous team success for Barnes he's never had a team carried by just a dominant low post player.

And since that Joseph team Barnes has only had one top 30 offensive efficiency team and that was with Williams. We’ve seen the struggles with the offense when he doesn’t have Williams

And since that Joseph team Barnes has only had one top 30 offensive efficiency team and that was with Williams. We’ve seen the struggles with the offense when he doesn’t have Williams

Williams AND Bone, again it's hard to separate what position is more important. The only thing we do know is that the successful teams for Barnes have both an inside presence and good PG play.

So if Chandler is here and we land an interior presence, BHH or even the transfer from UNC (Walker Kessler) next season could be a pretty good year. I'm a little skeptical about Walker though since he didn't have a great year for a struggling UNC team, would have expected him to play more than he actually did. But his Per 40 numbers are staggering so I'd be happy to take him as a transfer if they can't convince BHH to reclassify.

Williams AND Bone, again it's hard to separate what position is more important. The only thing we do know is that the successful teams for Barnes have both an inside presence and good PG play.

So if Chandler is here and we land an interior presence, BHH or even the transfer from UNC (Walker Kessler) next season could be a pretty good year. I'm a little skeptical about Walker though since he didn't have a great year for a struggling UNC team, would have expected him to play more than he actually did. But his Per 40 numbers are staggering so I'd be happy to take him as a transfer if they can't convince BHH to reclassify.

I mean that’s exactly what I am saying. I’d feel much better about the offensive next year if we land a post player because I don’t trust the offense to succeed with a good one.

Like using a 5 star to feed his 3 star post instead of shooting it himself?

Reactions: zjcvols

VN Store

Back