The Official Fall World Series Orange vs White Series Thread (Thursday 4:30PM) (Friday 4:30PM) (Sunday 4:30PM)

@Preacherman, are Covid rosters over? I think NCAA allowed 40 man rosters with 32 on scholarship due to COVID. Are we back to 35 and 27 again or are there special accommodations for 2023? I figured you’d be the one in the know. PS Love the podcast and your efforts to allow fans to connect with the players. Feels like a brand new team with a few notable exceptions. 👍😀🍊👊
Roster sizes are supposedly back to 35/27. But teams have an exception up to 40/32 ONLY if they still have any seniors that have Covid eligibility.

Did Garcia pitch the three innings before Sloop? Garcia’s first two innings were four strikeouts and two groundouts to first. He gave up some earned runs in his third inning. We had trouble hearing things because of the PA system being too loud, and I do not know the new guys, so I might have missed things.

At this point I can't recall the order. Just like last year, the Orange/White series is organized to give the coaches a look at everyone NOT on last years team. Sure we'll see some limited action by C-Mo, Booker, Blake, Kirby, etc. But this is about the opportunity for new faces like transfers, guys that have been on the team for the past year plus but haven't cracked the line up, and true freshman. It's hard to keep up since there's no roster and I agree, that speaker system under the circumstances of a near empty stadium is deafening. There were 2 particular transfers I was interested in seeing and then I was looking to see if there were any standout freshman. That's where Sloop comes in. I learned you can't judge the team at this point because the hitting is not the starting lineup and the pitching is not the rotation or bullpen.

I don't think you can truly judge until February 17th but probably not until march 24th. The Arizona tournament will be big and we will see how guys respond but not until you are in a big SEC series will you truly know how guys will respond. The orange and white series and the other fall events were a little glimpse but everyone knew it really did not count so some big guys didn't step up and show all they had and some young guys and transfers didn't feel the pressure fully. Missouri will be a small crowd and should be a weaker opponent. Texas A&M will be a sold out crowd against a very good opponent and the nerves will kick in and/or the adrenaline will also. That is when we will see whether guys will step up or crumble. For some, it will be the first big event they have ever played in their lives. Then we will know who will contribute and who will not. You just hope as a coaching staff that you have read them this fall good enough to know.

I don't think you can truly judge until February 17th but probably not until march 24th. The Arizona tournament will be big and we will see how guys respond but not until you are in a big SEC series will you truly know how guys will respond. The orange and white series and the other fall events were a little glimpse but everyone knew it really did not count so some big guys didn't step up and show all they had and some young guys and transfers didn't feel the pressure fully. Missouri will be a small crowd and should be a weaker opponent. Texas A&M will be a sold out crowd against a very good opponent and the nerves will kick in and/or the adrenaline will also. That is when we will see whether guys will step up or crumble. For some, it will be the first big event they have ever played in their lives. Then we will know who will contribute and who will not. You just hope as a coaching staff that you have read them this fall good enough to know.
Are Sechrist and Evans battling for the midweek slot?
Where is the Backus kid from Walters State?
The pitching is the least of my concerns and I think Ahuna is going to be a very nice addition defensively!
Tears is going to be a good one imo.
I’m very much looking forward to seeing what some of the new additions bring to the table.
And as always @preacherman20 , we appreciate your insight and thoughts!!

VN Store

Back