The Official Fall World Series Orange vs White Series Thread (Thursday 4:30PM) (Friday 4:30PM) (Sunday 4:30PM)

Did Garcia pitch the three innings before Sloop? Garcia’s first two innings were four strikeouts and two groundouts to first. He gave up some earned runs in his third inning. We had trouble hearing things because of the PA system being too loud, and I do not know the new guys, so I might have missed things.
I saw Garcia. From a "will he contribute this year" view, no, wasn't impressed. Not at the University of Tennessee level. Maybe down the line.

Interesting to see Backus not in a lineup. Also had no idea who Cal Stark was, but hitting cleanup and getting mentioned as the possible starter at catcher. Sounds like we might've added a secret weapon.
I was surprised at the lack of playing time for Backus as well. There might be something behind the scenes limiting that, but I saw him as an instant contributor day one.

Well…I hope he proves you wrong.

I hope he proves me wrong too, but not in 2023. He'll get his chance, but I just don't see him pitching weekends, especially with what we currently have. I'm sure he'll get plenty of opportunities the first 13 games or so against the soft teams we play, but SEC ball, especially when the game is on the line, I don't see him being brought in to hold the line. I think he is projectable for 2024 and beyond. But from what I saw, he seems like he needs to beef up, get stronger. Gain some pounds & hit the weights hard. Looked tall and slim, 185lbs is my guess. Fastball wasn't there, looked low 90's.

I'm glad no one made that decision solely based on Kirby's outing on Thursday. We would be looking at plan B. I get your point and I'm sure it is going to be tough for newcomers to make the final cut this year as pitchers with the ones we have coming back and the power arms and bodies that we added. I just hope that all of the guys who did not throw this fall due to minor setbacks get healed before February. The neat part is I believe that every player got an adequate chance to show what they have in all situations this fall. If you are not happy with the outcome in the spring or in the next week or so, then it was the player's fault.
They scrimmaged so much that everyone got a chance to show what they had.

I'm glad no one made that decision solely based on Kirby's outing on Thursday. We would be looking at plan B. I get your point and I'm sure it is going to be tough for newcomers to make the final cut this year as pitchers with the ones we have coming back and the power arms and bodies that we added. I just hope that all of the guys who did not throw this fall due to minor setbacks get healed before February. The neat part is I believe that every player got an adequate chance to show what they have in all situations this fall. If you are not happy with the outcome in the spring or in the next week or so, then it was the player's fault.

Well, Kirby's got a great track record. He could have plunked 2 batters and given up 2 homers and he'd still close this year. We're talkin' about the "new kids". Where it get's super interesting is how do players respond when things don't go their way following Fall. Are they willing to wait their turn (ie: Trey Lipscomb) or do they hit the portal (ie: Shortstop Angus Pence to Walters State) to find an opening/opportunity elsewhere. You only have so many positions and a ton of players. I think they had 26 +/- pitchers showcase their stuff this year against WF, Memphis, and 0range/White series. Barring injury, you only use 4 starters for Tuesday & the SEC weekend play.

Last edited:
@Preacherman, are Covid rosters over? I think NCAA allowed 40 man rosters with 32 on scholarship due to COVID. Are we back to 35 and 27 again or are there special accommodations for 2023? I figured you’d be the one in the know. PS Love the podcast and your efforts to allow fans to connect with the players. Feels like a brand new team with a few notable exceptions. 👍😀🍊👊

I’m looking forward to some college baseball in Feb. Looks like a good blend of new and returning talent but still amazed that TN is replacing all position players.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back