THE OFFICIAL DUKE/UNC B-BALL THREAD 2020/21 (WORSE, SLOWER, MORE MASKS, LESS FANS, LESS W’s)

started watching late in regulation

was any part of the game not bizarre?
No. It was just weird . I don’t comment on officiating often, but Hurt’s last 3 fouls and definitely his 5th were awful calls. The game was largely called inconsistently and I think that contributed to the way it was played. Duke’s guard play has been the difference in these past 2 games. Such a frustrating team to watch.

No. It was just weird . I don’t comment on officiating often, but Hurt’s last 3 fouls and definitely his 5th were awful calls. The game was largely called inconsistently and I think that contributed to the way it was played. Duke’s guard play has been the difference in these past 2 games. Such a frustrating team to watch.

Agree.
only acc team ive followed closely this year

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Congrats on the win Heel fans. You definitely have Duke’s number this season. I feel like it’s been a long time since Duke looked that out of sync from the get go in a UNC game. It was a thorough ass kicking from start to finish. UNC is clearly the better team, but I can’t help but think that Duke allowed the previous 2 OT losses to help beat them before the game even started.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Just finished it up on DVR. Wasn’t ever a ballgame. This group can be title contenders if they’ll stick around for a couple years. They can play with anybody now, unfortunately that’s anybody good or anybody bad. Too inconsistent.

Just finished it up on DVR. Wasn’t ever a ballgame. This group can be title contenders if they’ll stick around for a couple years. They can play with anybody now, unfortunately that’s anybody good or anybody bad. Too inconsistent.
You guys can play with anyone when Garrison Brooks is hitting step back 3s with a hand in his face as the shot clock expires.

Reactions: volfanbill
I turned it off with about 5 minutes to go in the first half. I’ve never seen a less disciplined Duke team imo. Steward and Goldwire just infuriate me with their play. Williams and Moore are insanely athletic, but they’re not able to translate it into basketball prowess. Carolina could’ve played with anyone last night. Congrats heels

Never hurts to see Duke lose but what’s all the “bubble” talk regarding this team? They’re not very good..they get in on name alone?

Never hurts to see Duke lose but what’s all the “bubble” talk regarding this team? They’re not very good..they get in on name alone?
Nope. They gotta win the ACC tournament to get in. Far too many people paying attention to allow that to happen.

this is the first time as a Carolina fan I’ve seen Duke without a natural leader.
As a Duke fan I‘ll say the 94-95 team that finished 13-18 lacked leadership in a big way. As good as Cherokee Parks was, he was no leader. I see a lot of similarites between this Duke team and that team. Unfortunately, Duke played much harder against a UNC that was actually good and should’ve won 1 of those games that season, much different than $hit show the other night.

As a Duke fan I‘ll say the 94-95 team that finished 13-18 lacked leadership in a big way. As good as Cherokee Parks was, he was no leader. I see a lot of similarites between this Duke team and that team. Unfortunately, Duke played much harder against a UNC that was actually good and should’ve won 1 of those games that season, much different than $hit show the other night.

In your opinion, has this team quit?
Or are they focused on individual goals instead the Duke way?

In your opinion, has this team quit?
Or are they focused on individual goals instead the Duke way?
I don’t think they’ve quit. Actually it times I think they’re trying too hard. I think they’re mentally weak. They’re not good enough to go through rough patches where if the offense isn’t working that they can turn it on defensively. If the offense gets going they play much more active and extend their defense. If they play teams who guard aggressively the way Louisville and UNC does on the perimeter Duke’s guard play is suspect because they’re not strong enough with the ball and they fall apart. I don’t think anyone that’s left on the team is playing selfishly. Duke just isn’t very good, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Duke play on Thursday either.

In case anyone was wondering why Duke’s season was bad, the fact that they’ve lost to half the teams playing on the Tuesday “bring canned goods to get in” edition of the ACC tournament.

That was good basketball tonight. Good move putting Moore into a Point Forward role. Helped them get into the half court offense better than they have.
Mark Williams was outstanding.23&19

Last edited:
That was good basketball tonight. Good move putting into a Point Forward role. Helped them get into the half court offense better than they have.
Mark Williams was outstanding.23&19

As a Carolina fan they’ve got to stop letting teams back in it and find the killer instinct. They’re getting better but can they be consistent

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
As a Carolina fan they’ve got to stop letting teams back in it and find the killer instinct. They’re getting better but can they be consistent
I agree. Duke was up 27-13. 3 minutes later it was 1 point game at halftime.
To your other point from earlier, I actually called Matthew Hurt, Dirk Hurt after one of his fade always.

this is the first time as a Carolina fan I’ve seen Duke without a natural leader.
That’s my take as well. This is the worst Duke team I’ve ever seen under Coach K. Williams was incredible today, but I think part of that was Louisville’s lack of quality big men.

That’s the only team to even compare to this year’s Duke team. However, that 94-95 Duke team was good until Coach K tapped out for the season. Then they came unraveled. This year’s team doesn’t have that excuse.

Why can’t Carolina play Notre Dame every game? ND has no answer whatsoever for Carolina on the boards, and this is with Brooks sitting the game out.

VN Store

Back