The Official Denver Broncos Thread

Did anyone catch Mike Griffith saying he would prefer to have Tebow as a qb over Peyton this morning? Definitely think Griffith is starting to take journalism pointers from Clay Travis...

Are you really a bandwagon fan if you're a fan of specific players?

I thought professional sports had become about the personalities more than the teams, anyway.

I will pull for them when they play anyone but the Philadelphia Eagles, and that is only because of Peyton.

Are you really a bandwagon fan if you're a fan of specific players?

I thought professional sports had become about the personalities more than the teams, anyway.

Nothing wrong with that. The people who are mad need to get a grip.

I'm only like that with the NFL...I generally don't care for NFL teams unless it's a player I like. I like both Mannings so I root for whoever they play for. I was glad to see Eli get another ring and will be thrilled to see Peyton raise up the Lombardi again.

Never had a problem with the Broncos. Always loved Elway and I always thought their uniforms were cool when I was little lol.

I had the little figurine of Elway they used to do of pro athletes.

migrated.jpg

BTW, Weezy, I met Gerald Willhite a couple years back. Have you been a Broncos fan long enough to remember him?

Hey, I've been in this thread before, but in that alternate reality, I started the thread. Weird. Didn't realize how true the "possible quick thread death" remark in my thread would become.

Anyway, I'm ecstatic about the signing of Manning, but in the same manner, I'm very sad about losing Tebow. He wasn't a great quarterback, but he made Broncos football exciting to watch for the first time in a long time. I'm going to miss that little media magnet and wish him luck in NY.

As for the Broncos this coming season, I'm excited. The addition of Manning and a few more free agents/draft picks could make Denver a real Super Bowl contender. I however also fear that karma may be a b#@*% and come back to haunt Elway and Co. for their treatment of Tebs.

Last edited:
I would think the receivers would be ecstatic. Peyton made so many receivers look good in Indy: Austin Collie, Pierre Garçon, Brandon Stokley, Jacob Tamme.

I think Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker will look like beasts these next few seasons.

Onion.

I however also fear that karma may be a b#@*% and come back to haunt Elway and Co. for their treatment of Tebs.

Wow...They made him a multi-millionaire by drafting him WAY too high, gave him a starting job as QB when probably 29 other teams wouldn't have(Miami and Jacksonville needed fans and merchandise sales increased), and have now given him a platform in the largest city in the country to spread his gospel..How is that a bad thing for "Tebs"????

:unsure:

Really good article about Peyton's decision and why he picked Denver. It's Peter King so thorough, but long. I recommend reading it, but here is a summary:

Fox to Manning:

the Broncos have played 519 home games, and the average temperature at kickoff has been 60.1 degrees

In your 14 years in Indianapolis the Colts averaged 26 points per game. In my 10 years as a head coach [with the Panthers and the Broncos], when our teams scored 26 points or more, our record is 39-3.

Elway avoided the "hard sell"

Manning met with Shanahan, and was surprised when they traded for the #2 pick.

Pete Carroll flew unannounced into Denver to talk with Manning, and it rubbed Peyton the wrong way. He wouldn't even meet with them.

Peyton met with Miami in Indy, because he was tired of the media, and he figured it'd be most quiet there.

Apparently Bill Parcells is one of Manning's confidants, and he turned to him for advice.

Dungy's advice to him:

I told him what [Hall of Fame coach] Chuck Noll told me a long time ago: When you're making an important life decision, make sure it's without regard to money, title or position. Make sure it's about who you're going to be working with and how much you'll enjoy being there.

The decision:
On Sunday, Manning knew he was choosing Denver. On Monday he made the phone calls. "I wish I hadn't gotten so close to Munch," Manning said. "That was a tough call. Same with Jim Harbaugh." When he called Elway to tell him the good news, Elway and Fox were discussing whether to make one final push for Manning. Elway answered the phone and gave Fox a thumbs-up. "I almost pulled both hamstrings," Fox said.

Now it was Sunday night, in Palm Beach, Fla., at the league meetings, and Elway was trying to process it all. He'd just pulled off his biggest win since his last game in a Denver uniform, the Super Bowl XXXIII victory over the Falcons. Why did Manning pick Denver?

"I really don't know," Elway said. "I never asked him. I never asked him who was in it or where we ranked. I just know if I was in his shoes, I'd know how I'd want to be treated. And that's how I tried to treat Peyton."

The behind-the-scenes story of how the most prized free - 04.02.12 - SI Vault

Im glad he picked Denver over the Niners and Dolphins, even the Titans slightly

Alshon Jeffrey had a good pro day and the Broncos have been interested. I don't care if people are projecting him as a 2nd round pick, I would be very happy with Alshon in the first. If we took Kendal Wright over him, I would be pissed. Alshon is probably the only pick I would be ok with over a DT.

Decker has been working out with Manning, says there are no signs of injury. Good for Decker, he could really breakout under Manning. People assume he's a slot guy because he's white. But he's 6'3 218 (Thomas is 6'3 235), and he plays fast (some return duties).

Decker is a star. He didn't go first round because he's a white wideout from Minnesota. He ran a 4.56 and with that size, and his college highlight reel he should've been a #1 pick. He's got great hands, and big play potential.

Denver will definitely be a team I root for, as long as its not against the Skins. Though I it came to a Skins-Broncos SB, I'd pull for Peyton to get ring #2

5. Jeff Fisher loves Trent Richardson, and the impact of the Rams ending up with the Alabama running back would be huge. First, the Rams would presumably either trade or release Steve Jackson if this happens. I don't see them paying Jackson $7 million in 2012 to share the job with a player certain to eclipse him soon. And that big number takes some logical teams (Steelers, Giants) out of the running for Jackson. Now, I view this scenario as unlikely anyway, because the Rams simply have to get receiver help for Sam Bradford. But if Justin Blackmon is gone here and Richardson's still there, he's logical for the Rams. Of course, Cleveland likes Richardson a lot, and rookie Tampa coach Greg Schiano does too, so I don't see Richardson making it to six.

Read more: After Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III go first in NFL draft, the rest gets interesting - Peter King - SI.com

I'd like to see the Rams end up doing this. Then I would prefer him be released over the Broncos giving up a 4/5th or so if only because he's not worth $7M per over the next two years. But he's a veteran back who's been drowning away in St. Louis. Maybe a change of scenery on a ring run might revitalize him a bit.

edit: I also feel like saying no RB is worth a top 10 selection. By the time the team has re-built and is competitive, the RB is already wearing down. You need to draft for longevity unless you are already competitive, at which point you wouldn't be picking in the top 10.

VN Store

Back