The Official #9 Tennessee vs. Arkansas Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPN2

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#9 Tennessee Volunteers: 7-1 (1-1 SEC)

EqxAqUYUwAEdHcn

vs.

Arkansas Razorbacks: 9-1 (1-1 SEC)

5ff0f40905699.image.jpg

GAME 9 | TENNESSEE vs. ARKANSAS - Jan. 6, 2021 | 7:01 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena (4,191)

Line: UT -8
O/U: 142.5

TV: ESPN2 / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
Sirius: 121 / XM: 191 / Internet: ---
Online: WatchESPN app

Arkansas Game Notes

ErAQLe2XYAcumNW

THE SERIES

• Tennessee leads its all-time series with Arkansas, 22-21, dating to 1936.
• The teams split last season's two meetings, with each squad winning on its home court.
• Santiago Vescovi had 20 points and eight assists the last time UT played Arkansas in Knoxville.
• Tennessee holds a 13-4 advantage when the series is contested in Knoxville and has won the last two meetings at home.
• Rick Barnes is 1-1 in head-to-head coaching matchups with Eric Musselman.

LAYUP LINES

• Freshman guard Jaden Springer—the team's third-leading scorer (10.6 ppg)—is day-to-day after injuring his ankle in the first half Saturday vs. Alabama.
• The Vols had shot 50 percent or better in four straight games before shooting just .318 (21-65) in their loss to Alabama.
• Overall this season, Tennessee leads the SEC in six team statistical categories, including scoring defense, scoring margin, field-goal percentage defense, turnovers per game, turnover margin and assist/turnover ratio.
• Tennessee has won 78 percent of its games as a ranked team during the Rick Barnes era (62-18).
• Tennessee (40.8 rpg) has grabbed at least 45 rebounds in five of its eight games this season.
• The Vols shot .797 from the foul line before league play began but are shooting .620 from the stripe through the first two SEC games.

DEFENSE WINS

• Tennessee leads the NCAA in scoring defense, allowing just 55.0 points per game.
• According to KenPom, the Vols also lead the NCAA in adjusted defensive efficiency, allowing only 86.4 points per 100 possessions so far this season. College teams average close to 70 possessions per game.
• The Vols are forcing 17.4 turnovers per game while converting those turnovers into 19.4 points per game. Tennessee's turnover margin stands at +6.9 (ninth nationally).
• Tennessee has yet to allow an opposing player to score 20 points this season.
• Reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year Yves Pons has 89 blocks in his last 39 games.
• Pons has an incredible nine blocks through UT's first two SEC games. He blocked five shots in a 5:15 span during the second half of Saturday's Alabama game.

ABOUT ARKANSAS

• Second-year head coach Eric Musselman has just two scholarship players from his first season at Arkansas who returned for this 2020-21 campaign. Despite the high amount of turnover, the Razorbacks are 9-1 overall and 1-1 in SEC play to begin the season. Arkansas most recently fell at home to #12 Missouri on Saturday afternoon (81-68) for its lone loss of the year.
• Arkansas has been prolific on the offensive end, averaging just less than 90 points per game, with six players averaging at least 9.0 points per game.
• On the floor, the do-it-all guy for the Razorbacks has been freshman Moses Moody. He leads the team and ranks sixth in SEC in scoring with 16.9 points per game. He also ranks second on the squad in rebounding (6.1 rpg), blocks (0.7 bpg) and steals (1.4 spg) through 10 games. Moody's 6.1 rebounds per game also ranks in the top 20 in SEC (18th).
• Leading the frontcourt has been sophomore Connor Vanover. Vanover has averaged a productive 9.0 points per game and has been a beast on the glass, averaging a team-best 7.3 boards per contest. His rebounding average ranks ninth in the SEC. On the defensive end, Vanover leads Arkansas and is second in the SEC in blocks, rejecting 2.3 shots per game.
• Off the bench, the Razorbacks have seen consistent production from junior guard, JD Notae. Notae ranks second on the team in both scoring (15.4 ppg, seventh in the SEC) and assists (2.5 apg), while ranking fifth in minutes with 23.3 per contest, despite not recording a single start.
• The University of Arkansas is known for its Senior Walk, an area of more than four miles of sidewalk etched with the name of every UA graduate since 1871

So basically Arkansas played a buncha scrimmages, beat Auburn on the road, lost to Missouri at home, and Tennessee played a buncha scrimmages, beat Missouri on the road, lost to Alabama at home. Interesting matchup. Here's hoping Springer is back for the game.

So basically Arkansas played a buncha scrimmages, beat Auburn on the road, lost to Missouri at home, and Tennessee played a buncha scrimmages, beat Missouri on the road, lost to Alabama at home. Interesting matchup. Here's hoping Springer is back for the game.
Colorado is far from a scrimmage. They’re not a bad basketball team at all, will likely make the tourney and is currently top 15 in the NET rankings.

Gotta hit some shots tonight. Can’t shoot 32% and 19% from 3 and win too many games. After seeing Mizou get blown out by Miss. St., Im not sure we still have a “ great” win this season

I don’t mean while I’m looking at my phone. Just in general. I used to plan my days around home games and now it’s moot.
Yeah, my game day home ritual was something I really looked forward to. Now, I’m so disorientated I don’t know if it’s COVID, senility, or stupidity. I miss my Tuesday, Wednesday early supper on the strip.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Gotta hit some shots tonight. Can’t shoot 32% and 19% from 3 and win too many games. After seeing Mizou get blown out by Miss. St., Im not sure we still have a “ great” win this season

Bama also put a beating on Florida, while Kentucky barely got past Vanderbilt...this season's weird for sure. I feel like we won't have a great feel for how good everyone is until we've already played most of them lol

Bama also put a beating on Florida, while Kentucky barely got past Vanderbilt...this season's weird for sure. I feel like we won't have a great feel for how good everyone is until we've already played most of them lol

The ceiling as of right now was the performance against Missouri. IMO our ceiling can probably be higher with the talent on this roster and the progression of younger players. The floor was the game against bama. 8-point conference loss that we could have won if Barnes goes small ball earlier in the game & we shoot/defend better. Bama is better than I anticipated. I expect this team to come out tonight determined to take care of business handing arky their second loss of the year. GBO!!

9.5 point spread. Who is going to bet that after the Bama game? Hogs can easily beat that spread.

VN Store

Back